Freshman 15?

Options
As many of you know, the "Freshman 15" is very real. I gained about 10-15 pounds my first year of college. I didn't notice too much of a difference in how i looked so i didn't bother dieting. Now my sophomore year just ended and I've gained 20 pounds since i started college. I'm just under 6 foot and I'm weighing about 198 lbs. I hate myself for letting myself go but im determined to make a change. I'm starting Insanity on monday and I'm very excited, i Have done it before but just not for longer than a week. (its very hard) I was always in pretty good shape up until now, i was able to run miles in under 8 minutes and my body gains muscle fairly quickly. Has anyone else experienced the freshman 15?
Ps. This is my first post (im new to the website)

Replies

• goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I actually lost about 15 pounds my freshman year (but then gained it back sophomore year... so more like the Sophomore 15). I was more physically active because I was walking to school, and the school itself is huge, and I joined the gym on campus.

I think I was just really excited about moving away from home and feeling like I had a fresh start. That made it easier to take care of myself. And when that wore away and classes got harder the next year, I stressed out and basically quit.
  • slightlydiminishing
    slightlydiminishing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also gained about 20 pounds in my first two years in college....its very frustrating and its like the cafeteria wants you to be obese.....plus the freakish amount of calories in alcohol if you get into that
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    During junior/senior year of high school I lost about 15lbs (due to starting exercising more often and cutting back on junk food mostly), but I gained it back, plus about another 5-10lbs freshman year of college. I think a big part of it was going from a job where I was on my feet for 8 hours a day to a job where I was sitting all day. On top of that I ate more food and it was probably less quality than what I was eating the year before. I definitely agree about the cafeteria wanting you to be obsese! There were very few good options, unless you wanted to either eat nothing but oatmeal and salad for the whole semester or eat out at healthier restaurants for every meal.