Exercise calories (far) too high from Fitbit?

Options
jonathandavid_t
jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
I've read all the FAQ topics and know how the system works with Fitbit/MFP, but I'm surprised how many extra kcal I'm being "given" from daily activity.

My RMR as per various equations is around 1800kcal/day. (33yo 75.5kg male 5'11")

My stride length is about 78cm, so 10000 steps is 7.8 km which is 4.85 miles.

According to various sources (including the huge Compendium of Physical Activities which lists METs for everything under the sun), I should burn around 75-100kcal/mile walking. So 10000 steps = 375-485 kcal energy expenditure on top of RMR.

i.e. 10000 steps = about 2200-2300 kcal energy expenditure.

(Someone *please* correct me if I've missed a step in the above calculations)

So, here's are some examples of my Fitbit One is saying:
(steps to km calculation seem to be correct (I've entered measures stride length, and double-checked my weight and height on fitbit.com)
14 June: 11612 steps, 9.1 km, 3089 kcal <-- by my calculations should be 1800+565ish i.e. 2365 kcal
15 June: 11106 steps, 8.7 km, 2992 kcal <-- by my calculations 1800+540ish i.e. 2340 kcal
16 June: 14381 steps, 11.22 km, 3487 kcal <-- by my calculations 1800+700ish i.e. 2500 kcal

The difference is massively significant: 650-1000 kcal per day.

Can anyone explain what's going on?

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Hmmm, you estimates may be a little low. Not sure of your stats, but my BMR (mifflin the formula MFP and Fitbit use) is about 1270. If I am active i.e. 10,000 steps a day I can easily burn about 2000 calories. Someone with a BMR of 1800 should be able to burn considerably more for similar activity. or a 15k-20k step day I might burn 2,300 (this is very difficult for me though), again you should burn considerably more with an 1800 calorie BMR. If sedentary, I would usually burn 1400-1500.

Don't look at general walking calculators for your total calorie burn. I think these may be fine for dedicated walking, but not steps accumulated from general or non-step activity. With my stats, I can burn 95 calories an hour walking 4 mph, Fitbit credited me with 95, my heart rate monitor/GPs app with 91, an online calculator that is said to be accurate with 93. These are all pretty close to each other. So I really doubt that you would burn 75 calories per mile. The standard rule of thumb a lot of running magazines use is 100 calories per mile--but they don't seem to specify individual stats when it is generally accepted that larger, more muscular and heavier people burn more for the same activity than lighter, smaller or less muscular people. I don't know your specifics and am poor with the metric system--but at your height (I am 10 inches shorter) and gender I would expect you to burn ore than I if you were also walking 4 mph. Males always have high sounding calorie burns to me so I can't comment on the specific numbers.

But I will say, your fitbit calorie burn is not based on your steps exactly. So doing a steps to miles calculation won't work perfectly. The fitbit calorie burn and the steps are calculated by fitbit from the movement data. It has a tri-axis accelerometer that tracks movement forward and back, up and down and side to side. It translates that movement into steps--but I know it picks up some movement that isn't rated as a "step" (It is a little different than how an old-school pedometer works). The calorie burn is a portion of your Mifflin BMR each minute plus whatever it credits you for activity. The calorie burn is more how much and how fast you move each minute (only if it is movement your device can pick up where it is worn). Or how much and how fast the movement your device can sense each minute--I mention because sometimes people get inflated calorie burns driving bumpy routes, riding motorcycles or golf carts, etc and sometimes if they wear it in a different way then recommended (like wearing a one/zip on a wrist or shoe when it is calibrated to be worn on the torso). The crazy thing with unusual placement is sometimes the step count will be fine but the calorie burn will be higher (because the calorie burn isn't really just about step count, I notice impact and up and down movements does effect it).

10,000 steps for me is less than 5 miles as well. It may even be similar (a little less) to yours which is odd since I am 5' 1". It does depend whether fitbit credited me with walking or running though. But the estimated distance isn't what fitbit is using to estimate calorie burn. Having your stride length correct does help keep your fitbit distance more accurate and it makes it easier to compare your fitbit calorie burn for walking and running to other sources (since other sources use distance and speed).

I think it is helpful to have another basis of comparison for seeing if your fitbit calorie burn seems realistic. I personally don't find mine to overestimate in general, if anything it underestimates my non-step or resistance activities. It does credit slightly more than my heart rate monitor for moderate and slower walking, but it seems pretty inline with what a lot of of line calculators estimate. From my results, wearing my fitbit and logging my hrm calorie burn for non-step exercise seems to put me within 72 calories a day of accurate compared to my results. I do wear a fitbit one clipped on either my bra or waistband--it may be different for different devices worn differently.

Anyway, I think a TDEE calculator would give you a better basis of comparison than converting your steps to miles and adding on a walking calorie burn for that mileage. Step count can give you a clue where your activity level lies--assuming you don't do a lot of non-step or resistance activity (though hopefully you do at least some as strength training is very beneficial as are other non-step activities). I find if I get 10,000 steps and have exercised an hour--my calorie burn tends to be close to what many TDEE calculators estimate as "moderately active". It does depend a bit on the exercise though, since if I logged non-step exercise and most of my steps were from general activity or walking my calorie burn tends to be higher than if the 10,000 steps is inclusive of my exercise calorie burn. (Which makes sense as 10,000 steps from general activity plus a one hour swimming or weight lifting workout is more accumulated activity than a 10,000 step day where 5,000 came from jogging or zumba class).

MFP actually kind of has a TDEE calculator, but it is a "pre-exercise TDEE". I think it is a useful awareness exercise to run your MFP plan at all four activity levels and note the "calories burned from daily activity" for each. This can take a few minutes, then you can set it at whatever level you want when you finish. It will give a range of what someone with your stats might burn if sedentary, lightly active, active or very active. There are only four options, when individual activity varies more. And MFP intends it to be your "calories burn from general activity" (found in your MFP goals page and is intended to estimate what you might burn at that level excluding exercise) if you choose the right level so it may give a lower calorie burn than other TDEE calculators and lower than when you add in the exercise. What activity level are you set for? With your step count I would guess you to be between Active and Very active (the 14k steps is more like very active). So if you are set for sedentary you will no doubt see large fitbit adjustments. MFP uses the "calories burned from daily activity" as the basis of comparison when it calculates your fitbit adjustment.

If you use another TDEE calculator (Scooby is a popular one), be sure and run it with the stats entered on your fitbit account and the "Mifflin" bmr formula (it is closest to what Fitbit and MFP use). If you run it with Harris-Bennedict you will see a higher calorie burn estimate though. And if you run it with Katch-McCurdle (spelling? the one that uses lean mass rather than age and gender), it can go either way depending how muscular you are for someone of your height and weight.
  • Kimsied
    Options
    Oh, one other thing. I don't find that my fitbit one overestimates in general, but it is possible for your fitbit to overestimate some activities. If you log an activity it replaces fitbit's estimate for that activity--it can increase it, decrease it or keep it the same. Often people don't realize that logging activity can decrease their fitbit calorie burn. So if there is an activity it overestimates for you--that is an option. The fitbit activity database is based on METS adjusted for weight and it has a lot of sedentary, general activity and occupational activities in addition to exercise. I mention, because you might not want to log non-exercise activity here on MFP since MFP adds it on top of your allowance (and if you care, your MFP friend's will think you count driving a car, cooking food, etc as exercise.LOL). But if you log them on fitbit it will correct your fitbit calorie burn and as a result decrease your fitbit adjustment on MFP.

One fairly easy way to get an idea if fitbit is overestimating some of your activities... Look at your fitbit dashboard graph that shows colored bars (hopefully a mix of orange, yellow and green bars). This is showing your day in 15 minute intervals. In this tread I described to another user how to do this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1330194-adjustments (in the last paragraph of my long post just above the "quote" of the user's question).

Some examples of activities I've heard of a fitbit over crediting include driving, riding a motorcycle, riding a golf cart, operating vibrating machinary at work, etc. Also wearing it in a different place than it is calibrated for can do this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you calc RMR to be, but rather what is Fitbit using for your BMR? (which is lower than RMR by 150-250 cal/day)

Look at your Activity chart with calories burned in 5 min, the non-moving time day and night stand out as the lows.

That calorie burn / 5 x 1440 = BMR they are using.

As Kim mentioned, usually pretty close to the MFP Mifflin BMR. How does yours compare?

Then look for steps during the day where you know full well you didn't take steps, obvious errors in reading motion.

At least you got measured stride length, that helps along with mass for Fitbit to know how full were the strides based on accelerometer data.

You may be walking in such a way as to make it think you were taking bigger strides then your manual settings - so more distance in same time is faster pace is greater calorie burn.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've read all the FAQ topics and know how the system works with Fitbit/MFP, but I'm surprised how many extra kcal I'm being "given" from daily activity.
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Eat back your Fitbit calorie adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate.
  • jonathandavid_t
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed replies!

My stats: 5'11" (=181.6cm), 75.6kg (167lbs).

Mifflin BMR = 1733
    Harris Benedict BMR = 1792
    Fitbit says 6kcal/5min sleeping >> 6 * 12 * 24 = 1728

i.e. all near enough each other.

Fitbit step counting is pretty accurate for me (difference of maybe 1% compared to manually counting over a 500-step walk); I wear it on my belt or trouser pocket.

No apparent errors in detecting activity or not - green and orange bars where I'd expect them.

The days I chose as examples were deliberately where there's no running or non-step-based activity, so as not to complicate matters.

I now understand (thank you!) that the Fitbit is not just using steps > distance > calories calculation, but I'm still a bit surprised that for example 11612 steps takes my TDEE from 1728kcal (Fitbit BMR) to 3089kcal - i.e. 1361kcal for walking 5.6 miles - that's 240kcal/mile.

I'm currently eating back exercise calories as per Fitbit and will see what happens this week - will re-weigh and measure on Monday.

Thanks again for the advice and helpful posts here.
  • heybales
    Options
    Now that does seem a little extreme actually.

It does use steps, and the expected accelerometer impact for given weight and stride length, to calculate a new stride length based on the 2 known values (and decide if running or walking) and pace, and from that calc's for walking or running are very accurate.

During my lifting last night, in the 5 min increments, I had most of the blocks given their designation of Very Active Minutes, meaning the METS (ultimately calorie burn) and/or pace were high enough to warrant that high level.
    And on several of them, that was for only 6 to 10 steps in that 5 min. Never noticed that before, but makes sense.
    It could tell from impact the extra load on my back. And despite measly step count, must have thought I was really jumping or something.
    Since I replaced the calorie count with something much more accurate, I didn't catch what it said for calorie count, but to receive that VAM designation, it must have been decently high (for walking or jogging).

Got any steps in the red when you were not that active and bouncing or moving very fast?

Would not be the first time I've heard of a unit being bad in that way, which would point to the accelerometer being off, because it's getting non-moving time just right, it's not picking up too weak movement and giving steps when it doesn't apply.
  • jonathandavid_t
    Options
    Well, it looks like it's overestimating.

Maintained weight the week before last, eating all Fitbit exercise calories and at a supposed 500kcal/day deficit.
    Lost 0.3kg over the last 6 days with a (supposed) deficit of 750kcal/day.

I guess I can work around it - 0.3kg/week is fine with me - but is there anything I can do to improve the accuracy of the calorie calculations?

Or does it sound like a faulty unit? (although step counts are accurate - it's more the step>kcal that seems off)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the weight loss I "expect" doesn't necessarily come when I expect it will or in the increments I "expect". If you are eating/logging exact I bet you will see the drop at some point. That's how its been for me anyway. I've not had my Flex for very long and according to my weekly reports I am on track, but it might take 10 days to lose the 1.5 pounds I "expect" in a week, then a few more days and down I go again, losing some more, which translates out to the average loss I "expect". I say give it a lot more time. Your body might not know you need to see that loss on a regular, weekly basis. :)
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, it looks like it's overestimating.

Maintained weight the week before last, eating all Fitbit exercise calories and at a supposed 500kcal/day deficit.
    Lost 0.3kg over the last 6 days with a (supposed) deficit of 750kcal/day.

I guess I can work around it - 0.3kg/week is fine with me - but is there anything I can do to improve the accuracy of the calorie calculations?

Or does it sound like a faulty unit? (although step counts are accurate - it's more the step>kcal that seems off)

Only way would be a walking and/or jogging test to confirm faulty unit.

If you can make activity of a workout (my Zip you cannot) so you have stats for just that block of time, then walk known time and distance at specific pace like 3.5 mph good the whole time, and see what calorie count is. Flat is better. 20 min would be good test, too short might not point out variations.
    Now do a jog up to 6.3 mph the same way.

Then compare to the Gross figure here, which is what Fitbit, HRM, treadmill, database, ect, would be reporting.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • jonathandavid_t
    Options

Only way would be a walking and/or jogging test to confirm faulty unit.

If you can make activity of a workout (my Zip you cannot) so you have stats for just that block of time, then walk known time and distance at specific pace like 3.5 mph good the whole time, and see what calorie count is. Flat is better. 20 min would be good test, too short might not point out variations.
    Now do a jog up to 6.3 mph the same way.

Then compare to the Gross figure here, which is what Fitbit, HRM, treadmill, database, ect, would be reporting.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Quick very similar test:

1km walk. Manual step count same as Fitbit (well, 1110 vs 1116). GPS measured distance using iSmoothRun. 10 minutes.
    Fitbit One activity: 72kcal
    iSmoothRun: 59kcal
    erxx.com: 66kcal

1km run. Couldn't count steps manually but Fitbit says 800, no real reason to doubt it - stride length sounds ok (1.25m, compared to my usual 1.1m stride for 5-10km distances, and running at 4:30/km (8.4mph) instead of usual 5:15/km so expecting longer strides). 4m30sec.
    Fitbit One activity: 55kcal
    iSmoothRun: 81kcal
    exrx.com: 82kcal

But I don't log runs using Fitbit; I use iSmoothRun to log and then that overwrites the Fitbit data for that time period, so I'm not bothered about the discrepancy on the run.

So: 1100 steps gives 72kcal on Fitbit. So 11000 steps should give about 720kcal.
    But on multiple occasions I'm awarded 1250-1350kcal (on top of a BMR of 1728) for 11000 steps -- that's 500 extra -- making balancing energy intake/expenditure somewhat difficult!

Maybe I'll try an entire day as an "activity" and see what happens!
  • heybales
    Options
    That doesn't look good at all.

Variance walking not that bad, still 8% inflated.

Do that for steps all day long, that's decent overage.

But the running - wow. I usually found flat runs to be decent estimate, with 10% underestimated. But like you, since I usually have hills and such, manual logging.
    But that is really off.

I'm not sure what proof Fitbit would need to agree that something sounds really off. Though they should be able to have someone analyze the data.
    I saw a hack that allowed looking at the raw Fitbit data, and you could see impact data and such, it's the Fitbit servers that do the math to finely tune the results. The unit itself just has default stride length and uses that until sync.
    After sync you could have your distance and calories change on unit as it's adjusted I suppose.
    Seems like someone could view that and decide that indeed, for your logged mass and stride length, and times you were walking - that's way off.

But it's still hard to base it on steps, I would not use steps. Distance and time is what counts.
    A shorter legged person same mass doing same pace and time would burn the same as you with longer legs.
    And since steps vary so much, just can't divide it down to steps. Well, accept the stride length of course that much is based on.
  • Kimsied
    Options
    Does Ismoothrun include your BMR or exclude it? Some calorie burn estimates include it, some do not. Fitbit includes it, so you want to compare it to methods that also include BMR (especially if replacing the calories burned).
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and fitbit uses the HR data to help calcuate calroies burned. Its a shame that the fitbit HR technology is absolutely crap and does not reflect my heartrate at all. at rest it is 10-15bpm higher than my hr and this contiues and gets worse at higher hr. this in turn completely screws up the calories calulation.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    Its a shame that the fitbit HR technology is absolutely crap and does not reflect my heartrate at all.

The only way to gauge the accuracy of your Fitbit is to trust it for several weeks then reevaluate your progress. I lost the weight & have maintained for a year, so my Fitbit burn is accurate.
  • heybales
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    I have a Charge HR and fitbit uses the HR data to help calcuate calroies burned. Its a shame that the fitbit HR technology is absolutely crap and does not reflect my heartrate at all. at rest it is 10-15bpm higher than my hr and this contiues and gets worse at higher hr. this in turn completely screws up the calories calulation.

Yep, others have reported the HRM doesn't work well for them. Yours is first comment about lower end being inflated. Usually some will comment it's fine until it goes high, then it either blanks out or doesn't go as high as chest strap reports.

And since HR is basis for calorie burn during exercise - if you do enough of it and/or intense enough - it could be badly estimated.

Daily activity though is not HR based.

Of course - I'm guessing many got the HR-based device for more than just weight loss, and want the HRM to be accurate for other reasons, like training methods.
    Why else get it?