Band to sleeve question

Options
I'm having a revision from band to sleeve. I've had the band for 4 years and for the first year or so it was great, then I had issues even keeping liquids down. And the shoulder pain that i get is a side effect if the band, i get it pretty much all the time for no specific reasons. I have gotten pretty much back to where I started (275lbs and only 5'4). My surgery date is next Wednesday 6/25/14.

I'm just curious, is the recovery time for a revision longer? What are the risks ect? Has anyone here had a revision like this?
I trust my doctor but as the day comes nearer I can't help and get nervouse.

Replies

• Cinzano1959
    Cinzano1959 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I had a band for three years due to complications had it removed, although it worked and I lost weight I never felt healthy. Having regained all the weight I had a sleeve in March this year, and have already lost 65lbs, weight loss is definitely quicker than the band and recovery went well. I've had no issues so far and can eat almost anything just smaller portions. Only problem if any is I have tho watch sugar intake as too much has given me gut pains too much I mean by 25gm + in a meal. So I avoid and read labels for sugar content. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • DebbieLLee
    DebbieLLee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My situation is very similar to yours. I got the lap band in April 2010 and lost weight VERY slowly. In January of 2013 I had lost 80 lbs. and was 25 lbs. away from my goal, but I started having really bad acid reflux so I went in to the doctor to find out what was going on. He told me that my band had slipped & he would have to unfill my band completely. I was devastated!! A few weeks later I received a letter from my doctor saying he was moving out of state & gave me a few doctors names that I could go to for check ups & fills. I was extremely frustrated & discouraged. I slowly gained back almost 40 lbs! I finally gave in & went to see a different doctor a few months ago and he recommended I get a band to sleeve revision. I am scheduled for surgery this coming Friday, June 27th.

I am both worried & excited about the surgery. I just want to get this weight off once & for all!!!

I would love to stay in touch with both of you & would love any advice you have! Olivia, good luck with your surgery on Wednesday!
  • olivia0428
    olivia0428 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for your comments and for the wishes! I'll update y'all and hope u do too Debbie since we will have the surgery two days apart good luck (: