Finished Basic Training IV

Options
Anniebotnen
Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
Last week, and I'm really happy with the results! This program really works to build strength, burn fat and improve mobility.

Because of my hip surgeries, my lower body is still a little problematic. I have had to completely "rebuild" my squat, starting with basically just relearning to sit down and stand up normally. It has gotten a whole lot better, but I'm still not to the point of adding weights. For this reason, I'm not ready to start Hypertrophy yet. So I was debating whether to start BT over or doing something different for a while. I decided to do the Strong Curves workouts instead, because of the heavy emphasis on lower body work, while keeping the Supercharged ramp as my warmup. Did my first workout yesterday, and if can really feel it today! My current strategy is to continue Strong a Curves until I'm able to use more than body weight for squats, and then return to Supercharged.

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! I an half way through BT IV and think I will repeat BT before hypertrophy. Have heard great things about Strong Curves.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My workouts ended up being a bit of a hybrid between Supercharged and Strong Curves. I do the RAMP as a warmup, and substituted core exercises from Supercharged for some of the ones in Strong Curves, the rest of the workout is Strong Curves. I've completed one week (3 workouts) so far. I started with the very beginning of the Strong a Curves program, which has a lot of body weight, high rep exercises for lower body. This is to make sure you use proper form before loading weight, but a side effect seems to be that I've lost some more weight! My lower body has been sore from the extra work, so I think this will accomplish my objective of improving lower body strength before I start Hypertrophy.

Also, SC includes some more traditional upper body exercises, like seated cable rows and pull downs, which I had not performed since starting Supercharged back in January. I was able to use 15-20 pounds more on those than before Supercharged! That is a pretty amazing increase considering I've been weight training for 28 years and eating at a deficit this whole year! Alwyn and Lou know what they are doing for sure!