Still not dropping weight :(

prplrose33
prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
I am in the weaning process (it's not going so well, but I have been able to cut out 1 feeding a day) and the weight is still not coming off. I started C25K 6 weeks ago and on my off days I am walking (pushing double stroller) for 40 minutes or using the elliptical for 30 minutes. I feel like I should be loosing some weight by now. :( I have cut my calories by about 300-400 since I started weaning too. This has been so discouraging to me and I am so close to just giving up. What is going on?

Replies

• luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Following.

I have an almost one year old and am not dropping weight well at all either. So I can feel your pain! However, I am not weaning him yet and he still loves to nurse ALOT. :)

Hope you find some answers! Just curious, what are your calories consumed each day? I've given up counting them at all, but should probably start again.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? sometimes it can go out of whack post partum. I was on thyroid medicine for about 4 months after my LO was born (and the 2nd and third trimester of pregnancy). While I was on those little pills, I dropped weight easily. Since stopping them it has become a lot harder to drop weight (and it isn't going down as fast as it should given the calorie deficit I have.)
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Lots of women seem unable to lose weight while breastfeeding. You're not alone and you'll see this if you read through similar threads. You may have to concentrate on feeding first and weightloss after. This is thoroughly frustrating for most, but better than sacrificing the health of the child. Why breastfeeding affects some like this and not others I have no clue. My only advice is if you're confident you're doing everything you should (weighing and measuring food, tracking exercise with a hrm) and it's still not happening then forget it until a month or two after your child is fully weaned. Sounds harsh, yes, but there's no point stressing over it. Exercise for fitness, but if you know you're not likely to lose weight then you'll be less frustrated when you don't, if you see what I mean! No point killing yourself exercising if you know it's getting you nowhere. Sorry, can't be of more help.
  • The most realistic, reassuring comment ever!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I know you know my whole story/struggle ;) Thus I won't rehash it here...

As far as getting your thyroid checked, I considered that for a while (especially because hypothyroidism runs in my family), but that's up to you. The only reason I decided against it is because it can take a while to get your meds right, and I didn't want to be playing around with meds (plus possibly have to get baby's levels checked due to BFing) because by the time I got it right, if it was just postpartum/BFing thyroid issues, it might have straightened itself out. So I decided to let it go for the time being, and if I still couldn't lose after weaning, I'd get my levels checked. So far so good :)
  • mdelynn01
    mdelynn01 Posts: 176 Member
    Can thyroid issues affect your baby if you are breastfeeding?? Like the medicine I take for it. Sorry if this is a dumb question. But my drs never mentioned it. I go to a hematologist and endocrinologist for problems. They knew I was pregnant but not nursing. They never ask me about it. However my endocrinologist wont see me when I am pregnant. He transfers it to my OB.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Can thyroid issues affect your baby if you are breastfeeding?? Like the medicine I take for it. Sorry if this is a dumb question. But my drs never mentioned it. I go to a hematologist and endocrinologist for problems. They knew I was pregnant but not nursing. They never ask me about it. However my endocrinologist wont see me when I am pregnant. He transfers it to my OB.

both my OB and my family doctor had me on levothyroxin post partum and knew I was breastfeeing. I had to get my levels checked every few months, but they didn't ever check my sons. I was on the smallest dose.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member

both my OB and my family doctor had me on levothyroxin post partum and knew I was breastfeeing. I had to get my levels checked every few months, but they didn't ever check my sons. I was on the smallest dose.

I thought that baby's had to be checked, but honestly I have no idea where I got that from. I'm not a doctor, so if your doctors say that it's not necessary (knowing that you BF), then go with that :)