electrolytes?

Options
josephine_x
josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
Hi, I'm convinced this is a good woe after reading a lot on the subject but was wondering who uses supplements? If I don't have salt (lots of) I'm getting a banging headache but am concerned about potassium, should I be supplementing with it to offset the salt in my diet? Not as concerned about magnesium as I regularly have bone broth but maybe I should be having that too? Confused! Lowering my cals to 1450 as I'm not losing at the moment, was having 1600 5'3 140lb sedentary 38 yrs, advice on this welcome too! but my overall concern is staying healthy. Thank you!

Replies

• Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't use any supplements, unless you count lite salt. That's what many keto-ers use to make sure they are getting enough potassium. One serving of it contains about as much potassium as 3 OTC potassium tablets. In the earlier stages, I'd grab a cup of bullion with a pinch of lite salt if I started feeling yucky (headache, just generally "off"), and that usually took care of it.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've tried broth a couple of times now and really can't stomach it. I've never liked broth based soups, more of a stew or chili girl myself. Is it ok to drink the electrolyte drinks, like gaterade or propel and that sort of thing (sugar free ones of course). I've been feeling rather shakey the last few days and think it would benefit me. I already take magnesium, potassium & a multivitamin.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Salt lite is best for potassium and sodium. I use a teaspoon of light salt mixed with coconut water if I am working out for more than 90 min. You can mix coconut water with light salt for potassium.,
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Electrolyte imbalances are something you have to use caution with. Even if you are sedentary and not releasing sodium through sweat, your kidneys will be consistently releasing sodium and potassium in the absence of insulin. As an active person living at a high altitude I definitely supplement, I feel faint and nauseous if I don't. Bone broth is considered optimal, but bleh! I use Powerade Zero, potassium and magnesium orotate/chelate.

Here's a really great blog that you might find useful:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I supplement potassium, magnesium and calcium. The last two I was supplementing even before this way of eating. I also take a good multivitamin. I can tell when I haven't taken this. I get leg craps and really dry skin.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will look into the lite salt
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I supplement potassium, magnesium and calcium. The last two I was supplementing even before this way of eating. I also take a good multivitamin. I can tell when I haven't taken this. I get leg craps and really dry skin.

Ditto on the multi (Orange Triad) and Magnesium / Potassium. I've been on this WoE about a month and was having some issues a week ago with pretty good headaches/leg cramps despite being fat adapted. After adding in the Magnesium/Potassium, things got a lot better pretty quickly.
  • happy2hikeak
    happy2hikeak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way, after almost fainting in the operating room during a surgery I was assisting on, that I have to supplement sodium and magnesium. For sodium I mix up some lemon water and sea salt and I use magnesium spray at night before bed, it helps with sleep. I should have known, I was have leg and foot cramps and feeling anxious all the time but for some reason, those signs just didn't register with me.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way, after almost fainting in the operating room during a surgery I was assisting on, that I have to supplement sodium and magnesium. For sodium I mix up some lemon water and sea salt and I use magnesium spray at night before bed, it helps with sleep. I should have known, I was have leg and foot cramps and feeling anxious all the time but for some reason, those signs just didn't register with me.

Oh duh to me! I had a calf cramp the other night and couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Schtoooopid!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I mean leg CRAMPS, not leg craps. :laugh:
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    How much should I be aiming for? I don't always trust the bottles after what I learned about Vitamin D.
    I seem to find conflicting info about how much magnesium and how much potassium are necessary.
    I have no problem with salt, lol.
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This may be a little hippie/woo-woo for most people, but lately I've been feeling completely overhauled by adding the following to my diet:

a. Magnesium water (recipe: http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf) - I drink a cup of it morning and night, and my leg cramps have disappeared

b. Lemon/bicarb water (juice of half a lemon in a tall glass, add 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, stir until the fizz dies down, fill glass with water, and drink. It tastes like - nothing - I drink this in the morning as soon as I get up, and half an hour before I drink the magnesium water :)

I also take a potassium-based hypertensive med, but I've just had my dose lowered by half, so we'll see if I need a further supplement.

YMMV :)
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options

b. Lemon/bicarb water (juice of half a lemon in a tall glass, add 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, stir until the fizz dies down, fill glass with water, and drink. It tastes like - nothing - I drink this in the morning as soon as I get up, and half an hour before I drink the magnesium water :)

What does the lemon water do??
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi cakeribs - it's a general alkalizing mixture and I find it helpful for combating acid in my digestive tract. I take it morning to give me a good shot at alkalizing, then have the magnesium half an hour later, then a shot of wheatgrass juice.

I find myself generally feeling fresher, brain clearer, since I started doing this. Plus, the combination seems to have given the one-two punch to leg cramps and early-afternoon desires for a nap, and I feel like I'm gaining ground on my adrenal fatigue overall.