No motivation!

Options
Hello ladies,
This is my first pregnancy and I'm EXHAUSTED! I have absolutely no motivation to clean, cook dinner, do laundry, even showering takes it out of me, but I do it. Reluctantly. I have yet to mention that I'm a full time mom to my husband's son who will be two October 1st and THAT is where all my energy goes. Chasing him, washing him, feeding him, poopy stinky diapers. Not vomiting changing his diapers takes a ton of effort. I am terrified of failing at raising two kids. I feel like I cannot even enjoy being pregnant because I'm so scared of having a 2 1/2 year old and newborn. Please tell me the energy comes back. My family almost doesn't even recognize me because I've become a zombie and I'm usually the most hyperactive, bubbly, positive ray of sunshine and now I just want to punch everyone in the face all the time. My hormones are raging and I'm basically freaking the heck out. Does it get easier?

Replies

• papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    yup sounds exactly like me! I'm 11.5weeks now and finally started cooking happily and going for walks with the kids. before pregnancy I was so active, training for a half marathon and loved to exercise. I BARELY do any tyoe of exercise besides walking every now a then. I want to start doing something daily to get back into shape cause I'm tired of moping around. It gets better!! I have 2 kids, a 4yr old and a 17month old. I'm kinda nervous how it will be with 2 kids close in age, yikeS!
  • mamarnett
    mamarnett Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the uplifting words. I used to be so active and went outside everyday for a 2 hour walk with RJ in the stroller, but Texas is just so dang hot that I feel like I'm going to vomit just walking out to the car. The heat is exhausting me too. I can't wait to feel me again.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself really tired and not motivated lately, too! I'm 26 weeks and I used to walk 3-4 miles daily at this point in my last pregnancy. But I can barely muster up the energy to play in the pool with my 3 and 6 year old! I bet the heat has something to do with it! Plus, I'm busy with other things (cleaning, working from home, etc), but I was very active before this pregnancy began and thought for sure I'd be running or at least walking daily up through most of the third trimester! I'm hoping my energy picks up again soon once the house is squared away. (I"ve been doing major decluttering/purging).
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? I was like that until my second trimester. I was VERY sick and extremely tired. I actually got so lazy that I kept bags of chips, and granola bars and things to eat right beside my bed because I didnt wanna go all the way to my kitchen to eat. I also didnt like to shower either, because I would get way too tired, to the point where I was dizzy. I didnt have a 2 year old to take care of though. Hopefully by your second trimester you will have more energy. I did! Thats when the nesting started :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was also exhausted in my first trimester, but still dragged myself to the gym a few times a week. It kind of took my mind off the nausea. My other kids were 2 and 4, I worked part time as a secondary school teacher, and my husband works shifts. I was exhausted to the point of tears sometimes...up at 6, get kids ready, work, meeting, pick son up from after school club then daughter from nursery, make dinner, bath them, get them to bed. Reading that makes me wonder if I was insane having a third lol.

It does get better though, 2nd trimester is easier. Although I live in England so don't have the Texas heat to contend with! It's 71 degrees here today and that is considered hot! My first trimester was in the Autumn though luckily, and has been with all three of my kids.

If you keep active it will help you.

My first child was 22 months when my 2nd was born, and that was hard work, but it does pay off as they get on great now! You'll be fine!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 16 weeks today with my first and can honestly say that the first trimester was one of the hardest things I've done. I didn't get morning sickness for which i'm immensely grateful but I had never known tiredness like it! It does get easier - although i'm still suffering from some tiredness, it does ease off and you find yourself with more energy. I know it sounds impossible but I would encourage you to try and do some light exercise if you can - even just going for a walk. I thought during my first three months that I could do nothing but also found that actually pushing through and exercising did make me feel better - and also, importantly helped me to sleep better. My husband and I went into London yesterday to go shopping for maternity clothes and it was great fun - I couldn't even have contemplated the trip on a weekend (I travel in there to work every day) a month ago. Hang in there - it will improve!
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like my first trimester (but I didn't have a little one to chase after). Your energy WILL come back. I know how frustrating it is, but just try to be easy on yourself as much as possible. I did continue exercising even when I was tired and found that was better than not doing anything. All kinds of sympathy for you, lady. It will get better, but in the interim, it's just hard. :-(
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks, and am also always running around with my toddler. Its exhausting, but I just push through it...then again I didn't have a toddler to care for the first time around, so with my first pregnancy I lived it up, hubby pampered me, I slept whenever, I ate whatever. But having another little one definitely keeps me more motivated to push through even when I'm queasy, or exhausted to no end. But this time around, I know that more than likely, I'll feel pretty darn good during the second trimester. It does happen!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Thankful for this topic because I am in my first trimester and just found out last week that I was pregnant...Before then I was disappointed about my endurance levels and how tired I was getting but now I know why.. Everyone I ask along with the lovely ladies in this group it seems like that is the norm. I hope you find your motivation and I am going to continue to work with my clients to at least get the push to do some cardio while I train them on everything...
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 weeks pregnant with baby #2 & have been so exhausted! I have a 3 year old daughter & I'm a SAHM. I'm wiped out by nap time! I barely workout now, if ever. Energy does start picking up in the 2nd trimester though. I'm looking forward to it! I've also got bad food aversions & nausea this time around. :/ total pain in the butt! Hang in there!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 weeks live in Texas and want to nap all day :blushing: Texas heat does make it worse. Rest as much as you can now. Hang in there.
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm six weeks and can't do anything either! It's hard enough to stay awake at work. I used to run or go to the gym five or six times a week, and now even a leisurely walk makes me exhausted. I really want to stay fit through this pregnancy (my first), but I have no energy at all!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Advice that will make you want to punch me in the throat... Exercise anyways. I will come home from work, play with my toddler and want to just lay on the couch and go to sleep. I am insanely tired. But, I force myself to exercise and I am always glad I do. I get so much energy from working out, and feel so much better!