Running with the puppy

Options
twinmom_112002
twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
Our dog has been running an walking with us at least 2X a week for the last couple of months. We have been slacking in our running though so the longest has been 3 miles. We started ramping up after memorial and start training for our next half next month.

Today was the second time this week that the puppy (3yr old Shepard/Ridgeback mix) has slowed down our run. She was awesome for the first 2.5 miles (settled right into our pace and ran at my dh's side). The last 1.5 miles though we were urging her on and she was hanging at the end of the 6ft leash. We slowed down and put in walk intervals. It was warm both times (high 80's). We tried sidewalk, asphalt path in the shade and trail (she hated the small gravel). Over winter we got her up to 4 miles.

Any tips at getting her up to speed? I originally got her to be my running companion but she is too strong for me to handle with a massive prey drive - she yanked me off my feet a couple of times.

What breed is best as a running companion?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Some breeds just aren't cut out for running, and it sounds like you have one. I originally wanted to run with our Akita when we got him, but he poops out at about 1/2 mile. He's just not a runner. Here's what Runners World says about the best breeds:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/breed-apart

It looks like you have a cross of one that likes to run in the cold, and one that will run in the heat. So that might not be suitable in the summer months.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been running regularly with my Border Terrier for over a year now. He's currently 3 years old. He's done up to 8 miles with me. I do not ever take him out if it's over 75F though, and only that when it's overcast, or dusk or dawn. He doesn't sweat and doesn't have anything to insulate his feet from asphalt. He can handle any cold that I can handle, but heat is too much for him.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I've been running regularly with my Border Terrier for over a year now. He's currently 3 years old. He's done up to 8 miles with me. I do not ever take him out if it's over 75F though, and only that when it's overcast, or dusk or dawn. He doesn't sweat and doesn't have anything to insulate his feet from asphalt. He can handle any cold that I can handle, but heat is too much for him.

This is pretty much how I am with running and my dog. He is a pit-mix with a darker brown coat, so I play very close attention to him when it is warm out. I will still run with him at the dog park, but only because there are lakes and stuff that he can run and jump in if he needs to cool off.
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    Thanks for the link. We will be looking around for a puppy probably within a year and that gives me a better idea of what to look for. All of our dogs have been rescues which is how we keep ending up with shepard mixes (shepards get around apparently). As much as I like the idea of getting a rescue the cost (about the same as a breeder anymore) and the need/want for a good running partner might push me away from the pounds.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I run almost exclusively with Haley, our 85 pound German Shepherd. She is of German rather than US decent and is totally black. Although I admit she is an excellent winter runner the summer months don't slow her down. We mostly run starting before the sun is up and into the dawn so it is the coolest part of the day, in the winter is down right frigid. She is about 5 years old now and knows by what I am dressing in if we are heading out or not. She has run up to 10 miles with me at which point I make sure we are passing by the house so I can drop her off it I am planning on going further - problem is that she will not hydrate while we are out for the run even though we have the equipment to do so.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I think it is probably the heat. I have a 30lb terrier mix, all legs. I believe he is around 9 years old (pound puppy) during the cooler months he can easily go 9-10 miles with me. When it is warmer he can't handle it. He can go around 3-4 but is dragging behind towards the end. I have retired him until fall.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Some breeds just aren't cut out for running, and it sounds like you have one. I originally wanted to run with our Akita when we got him, but he poops out at about 1/2 mile. He's just not a runner. Here's what Runners World says about the best breeds:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/breed-apart

It looks like you have a cross of one that likes to run in the cold, and one that will run in the heat. So that might not be suitable in the summer months.

Thanks for the link!
  • kaleidoscope79
    kaleidoscope79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this myself, but it came highly recommended to me for my boxer (he's not old enough to run yet). They come in many sizes.

Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Cooling Vest for Dogs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B23PNR4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PRP24KFG4OI3&coliid=I2XPB8BMTHHVFF&psc=1
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I walk my stepson's dog (weiner dog breed) every so often. He's good to run for about a couple hundred feet but then wants to stop, sniff, and mark every bush, hydrant, fence, street sign, tree, etc. I joke that it's good for interval training and that's about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there is no "best" breed. You have a mix of two breeds that should be good for long distances. Rhodesians are supposed to be great long distance dogs and do well in heat. Shepherds also tend to be good long distance dogs but probably won't do as well in heat. My oldest Shepherd was my running partner forever. He would go as long or as far as I wanted. I never noticed a significant drop in performance in warmer weather.

It may be the heat, may be a little of conditioning. Or it could be lack of interest. My lab pulls the "look she's dragging me" once we hit about 3 miles tops. We get home and he will run circles in the backyard off leash. He just isn't interested in running far.

I like the guide that someone posted above, but keep in mind that these are generalizations. Some dogs within that breed just won't be up for running.

Also keep in mind that with puppies, you should not run with them until they are fully develeped, anywhere from 1 year to 2 depending on the breed. An older dog will give you a better chance of evaluating energy level and desire.

Can you keep working with your dog? Maybe take him for the first part of your run, and drop him off, slowly increasing the distance to see if that helps?
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    We plan to keep running her when we have 4 or less on the schedule and all the walks in-between. Now that I am off work for the summer I can also do my runs a little earlier (but probably not much cooler). I don't love running with her enough to give up sleeping in. My kids finally figured out how to handle mornings without waking me - totally taking advantage of that this summer.