Diary & Macro Check

Options
carleycalla
carleycalla Posts: 6 Member
Hello! I am a week into Keto and I have been keeping my macros at 5%/30%/65% and was wondering if any of y'all couple have a look at my diary and nutrition report for the last week and give feedback?

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fairly well for it being your first week!

Couple of things:
    * At Starbucks, have you considered getting your coffee with cream instead of milk? It lowers the carb count and increases your fat intake for the meal, leading to more hunger satisfaction.
    * There are a couple of days where your protein intake is low. It's important to consume enough to retain your lean body mass and not be losing muscle instead of fat - muscle is so hard to gain back! It's difficult to keep a balance and not end up mucking up your ratio with the extra protein, but it's still quite important for your health.

And just in case you haven't, you can use this site to get your numbers: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.
  • carleycalla
    Options
    It is public now! Thanks!
  • carleycalla
    Options
    I think you're doing fairly well for it being your first week!

Couple of things:
    * At Starbucks, have you considered getting your coffee with cream instead of milk? It lowers the carb count and increases your fat intake for the meal, leading to more hunger satisfaction.
    * There are a couple of days where your protein intake is low. It's important to consume enough to retain your lean body mass and not be losing muscle instead of fat - muscle is so hard to gain back! It's difficult to keep a balance and not end up mucking up your ratio with the extra protein, but it's still quite important for your health.

And just in case you haven't, you can use this site to get your numbers: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I grew up drinking soy and almond milk, so reaching for half and half is something I'm still training myself to do. Thanks again for the reminder!

The protein/fat macros have been stumping me. I feel like I can't reach either, or I reach one but overshoot the other. Still working on it.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You can still have either of those milks! I stick with unsweetened almond milk, and unsweetened chocolate almond milk when I want a treat. Half and half has minimal carbs, and heavy cream has even less than that. It's difficult to change your mindframe, but remember that you're giving up the carbs, so you need the fat to fuel your body! Soon enough, it'll become your norm.

As for the fat and protein balance, that just takes time and practice. You're already doing a pretty fine job of it, so just keep at it. It'll get easier!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    You are eating way too much protein and not enough fat unless you are in to body building or heavy workouts. Target 1-1.3g of protein per kg of body mass. I am not sure how much you weigh and what workouts you do, but the ratio looks out of whack. Excess protein also gets converted in to glucose and will get stored as fat. Also when your order a drink from starbucks, order a heavy cream drink. Even half and half has more carbs than heavy cream, and it also helps to get your fat up.