Confused!!!!!

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Wondered if anyone could clear up some confusion. I had thought kettlebell workouts were much like strength training and required at least one day of rest between. But when you look at the large amount of programmes like the Breaking Muscle one which promotes 300 swings per day for 30 days or the 10000 swings in a month challenge, that seems to be contradictory. Or are they for different results ie is resting for muscle building and consecutive days for fat loss???

Replies

• KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think you may have answered your own question, by including the word "challenge". Personally I do 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off with varying load, intensity etc. Depending on you, it may not be necessary to take every other day off, but you also don't want to go all out, all day, every day. Hope this makes sense, I'm nearly asleep. hahaha
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think any exercise is good every day - and I`m not sure any of the 300 swings per day type challenges are worth much -

On saying that you can use KBs every day for different exercises which would be a good thing - you could even do the same exercises but change the weight and reps.

I suspect neither of those statements has helped you much - I compete - so I train to do high rep snatches - I use Kbs 3 times a week for snatch training - i may use them at other days for things like get ups or shoulder presses farmer carries . heavy swings etc
  • cynthia_h
    cynthia_h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is, what's your goal? I can't speak to the benefits of KB, but it seems to me to have the cardio and weight training aspects to it. Whether doing these challenges will burn fat better than gain muscle I don't know.

I searched kettlebell exercise philosophy and here's the result:
    mainstream folks need variety more than anything to stay motivated. Yes, this means we do different things on different days.
    Having something that is very challenging, but yet easy to learn and improve upon, makes it fun.
    I was amazed when I first started Kettlebells, in 3 weeks I had far surpassed 3 months of Pilates and I was never once bored.

When I searched how often I got a mixed result. Most say more often, but with lesser reps and/or weights. But if you hurt, don't do the same thing or you could damage yourself. At least do less, if not take one day off.

Good luck to us all!

I'm frugal and having spent the money for my starter set of KBs, I wouldn't waste the $ on the video programs.
  • mattsams1
    mattsams1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The 10000 swing challenge is exactly that - a challenge. It takes time to build up the work capacity to do 300 swings a day. However, one can achieve results w/ substantially less work. The Simple & Sinister Program is based on the concept of the minimum effective dose (100 swings/day) 5 get-ups per side per day, with a minimum frequency of 3 days /week. The original Program Minimum was 2 12 minute swing sessions and 2 5 minute get-up sessions per week, which could be done on separate days. The Right of Passage is 3-5 days per week w/ 3 days mandatory and 2 variety days. How many days you can use kettlebells depends on how much time it takes you to recover from the prior training session.

My advice, learn the basic movements (i.e. the swing, the goblet squat, & the get up) and pick a program such as Simple & Sinister or the original Program Minimum until you are comfortable with those movements and built the requisite work capacity and shoulder stability to progress to another program.