Do you workout at home or at the gym?

Options
So until fairly recently I used to work out only at the gym. Few years ago I realized that basing my whole Fitness Routine on my ability to get to the gym, will Not be Realistic! I had 3 kids under age 3 and I needed to start looking for a program that will allow me to work out in my house. I know A Lot of people buy workouts programs and put them on a shelf never to open them and push the Play button. The key is to find one that fires you up, excites you and fits into your schedule. In the beginning I started doing very short 20 minute workout because I was short on time. But as I went through various programs and found the ones that truly made me want to keep going, it became much easier to go down to the basement and get my workout in. Don't get me wrong, I still like going to the gym now and then. However, if for some reason I can't or don't want to go, I can still get my workout in right here at home.

Replies

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I work 7 on/ 7 off and travel to work so I work out wherever I can. I have found that running wherever I am outside calms my mind and gives me that emotional/physical high I crave. Treadmills just don't do that for me. My kids are 9 and 14 so they like to go on walks and interval runs with me and there is nothing better than that feeling!
    DVD's are great - but like you said - only if you get them out of the box and use them. I agree - you have to figure out what works best for you - because no one is going to have the exact same preference as you.
  • ShraddhaOm
    ShraddhaOm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i exercise at home, mostly yoga. i can do my yoga practice from memory, but lately i usually use a DVD or the site yogavibes for some "company" and encouragement. the style of yoga i do there isn't anyone teaching near me at a time that i can make it anyway. it's also much easier for me to not worry about getting out of the house, travel time, etc. it's great to have a "portable", memorized yoga sequence that i can practice anywhere there is room to roll out a mat!
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    Running is great I agree, I need to do it more often. You exercise every part of your body while you run plus clear your mind at the same time. It's funny because most people like to run outside but I'm like a hamster running in circles on the track at the gym. I can't run on the Treadmill either, because the time goes by much slower.
    I work 7 on/ 7 off and travel to work so I work out wherever I can. I have found that running wherever I am outside calms my mind and gives me that emotional/physical high I crave. Treadmills just don't do that for me. My kids are 9 and 14 so they like to go on walks and interval runs with me and there is nothing better than that feeling!
    DVD's are great - but like you said - only if you get them out of the box and use them. I agree - you have to figure out what works best for you - because no one is going to have the exact same preference as you.
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    This year I embraced Yoga and Pilates because I realized that without making my a stronger core and constantly stretching, my body will not take me far! Do you do any other kinds of exercises?
    i exercise at home, mostly yoga. i can do my yoga practice from memory, but lately i usually use a DVD or the site yogavibes for some "company" and encouragement. the style of yoga i do there isn't anyone teaching near me at a time that i can make it anyway. it's also much easier for me to not worry about getting out of the house, travel time, etc. it's great to have a "portable", memorized yoga sequence that i can practice anywhere there is room to roll out a mat!
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery at the end of February and am finally released to do light upper body workouts. I still can't do a push up or burpee until August. Talk about a bummer. I did; however, recently add kettle bell workouts (only 5# and 10#) and have found them to be challenging; especially with my weak arm. My core gets quite a workout with them as well!
    Running is great I agree, I need to do it more often. You exercise every part of your body while you run plus clear your mind at the same time. It's funny because most people like to run outside but I'm like a hamster running in circles on the track at the gym. I can't run on the Treadmill either, because the time goes by much slower.
  • ShraddhaOm
    ShraddhaOm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This year I embraced Yoga and Pilates because I realized that without making my a stronger core and constantly stretching, my body will not take me far! Do you do any other kinds of exercises?

really just yoga right now. i do 90 minutes every day and it's an intense practice, with jumping, etc., so there's a somewhat aerobic component to it as well. i get in a good amount of walking with my baby and around town, but that's not really intended as exercise per se. i also do random things like squats or stretches while waiting for food to microwave and such. ;-)

yoga is about a lot more than exercise for me, since i also do it as a spiritual practice - it's just handy that it's also exercise! but that's definitely my top priority in terms of activity - get in my yoga practice every day. only if there's extra time would i do anything else.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    In my pre kid years I worked out at the gym. My office has a gym and I try to work out their but I have two kids 8 and 6 and I want to be with them. I wake up in the morning at 5:15 to workout to my DVD's or elliptical. It is apart of my routine. In the winter I will go to the indoor track and run, but I will bring my daughter with me.

My goal this summer is to continue my DVD workouts in the morning and start doing short run sprints with walk intervals with my son and daughter. This will help my son keep in shape for hockey as he just finished Lacrosse.

What DVD's do you like. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and actually the first time completed her 30 day shred last month.

I have all sorts of DVD's yoga, pilates, kettlebell, turbo jam and turbo fire. Jackie Warner, Bob harper and of course almost all but one of Jillian Michaels. Oh I forgot p90x. I also added in the TRX thing I bought but have not opened. I am a sucker for home dvd etc.. I also have adjustable weights and 3 kettlebells.

I actually have my eye on the new PIYO program of Chalene Johnson but am hoping Costco will sell it in the future.

However for the first time I have actually went through a DVD program, and am half way thru the second one. I think it is my way to justify to myself to by the PiYO one.
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    I think it is great that you include your kids in your fitness routine!! Mine are 6,5 and 3 so when I work out at home they have to watch a cartoon or play in the background while I work out. Definitely funny when my 3 year old planks with me.
    I used to work out strictly at the gym until I found programs that I liked and worked for me. I started with the Brazilian Butt Lift years ago and then did the T25 and the 21 Day Fix. Fell in love with the 21 Day Fix and Autumn, (the trainer)so now on the days that I can't make it or don't feel like going to the gym I do the Fix in my basement.
    It's funny that you mentioned PiYo because literally 5 minutes before I read your post, I wrote about PiYo on my Facebook page. I'm a Beachbody Coach so I was able to get my copy of PiYo already and I tried it this afternoon. First of all I love Chalene Johnson not only as a trainer but as a mentor, business woman and just a human being. I follow her on social media and watch her webinars so anything she does I know is of great quality!
    I've been taking a PiYo class at the gym but it was honestly a little too boring for me so Chalene's program is perfect because I need to stretch and strengthen my core more.
    How long do you run for? I like running but I never get to it unless I'm taking a boot camp class at the gym.
    In my pre kid years I worked out at the gym. My office has a gym and I try to work out their but I have two kids 8 and 6 and I want to be with them. I wake up in the morning at 5:15 to workout to my DVD's or elliptical. It is apart of my routine. In the winter I will go to the indoor track and run, but I will bring my daughter with me.

My goal this summer is to continue my DVD workouts in the morning and start doing short run sprints with walk intervals with my son and daughter. This will help my son keep in shape for hockey as he just finished Lacrosse.

What DVD's do you like. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and actually the first time completed her 30 day shred last month.

I have all sorts of DVD's yoga, pilates, kettlebell, turbo jam and turbo fire. Jackie Warner, Bob harper and of course almost all but one of Jillian Michaels. Oh I forgot p90x. I also added in the TRX thing I bought but have not opened. I am a sucker for home dvd etc.. I also have adjustable weights and 3 kettlebells.

I actually have my eye on the new PIYO program of Chalene Johnson but am hoping Costco will sell it in the future.

However for the first time I have actually went through a DVD program, and am half way thru the second one. I think it is my way to justify to myself to by the PiYO one.