Exercise at 350

Options
carrieann8
carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
Hi, I'm new to the group and I'm having trouble with exercise. I want to try and I downloaded a few videos from youtube and tried them, but it was a mess. I could only do five minutes of a 15 minute workout and did half of those horribly wrong. I was so uncoordinated and unbalanced I could barely do a few of them at all. Can anyone recommend a low impact cardio workout for a total beginner at 350! I'd love to get into a routine that I could do by myself in my spare bedroom to music of my choice.

Replies

• Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi Carrieann8,
    I am over 300# and also disabled with arthritis so I do seated exercises and you can do low impact cardio exercises while seated and it takes the pressure off of your feet & back. I love them and sometimes I make up my own moves while listening to music or working on my computer. If you're interested in a good DVD Anne Burnell has one out that's called Stronger Seniors, but it isn't necessarily for just seniors. She has a soothing voice and no-nonsense approach to seated exercises that really give you a good workout. I've used it many times and for the standing exercises you can use your chair for balance. I bought my DVD from Amazon.com and you can find many others there, as well. Don't give up; keep trying ones that work for you. Each day is a new one to try something new! Good luck on your weight loss. I'd be happy to be your friend if you are looking for one. I have over 150# to lose and have a good start at 69# lost since last fall.

Petta1030
  • shannonin
    shannonin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't an indoor activity but I started out just by walking until I had lost about 20lbs and was capable of doing more. I've heard good things about the walk at home videos but I have not personally used them. Whatever you do make sure to start slow and ease into things. I also like geocaching (again outdoors) which is kinda like a walk but with a treasure at the end and you are looking for something.
  • CrescentEddy
    CrescentEddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I found a good seated workout for larger bodies here. They have a 12-part series of videos (seated for large bodies). You can find it in their playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-iKrlw00Dw&list=PL-3ha1N51FWOHt_G7xKX_Eq_94_NFsVk1

Also, i really liked this one which uses "exercise bands":

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=99

I also agree with Shannon, WALKING is a really good exercise because: 1) you can do it when it is cool in the evening; 2) you can do it for only 3 minutes if you want; 3) it's nice to see how people have decorated their gardens with flowers when you walk around the neighbourhood.

Hope this helps!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi, Carrieann! I have similar difficulties (starting weight was 340). Honestly, I just did the best I could and figured it was better than nothing. My best "burn" was when I danced (I didn't go out with friends, I work with kids and we had a dance program) on and off for 45 minutes.

Legion150, thank you for those links! I'll try them, too.
  • slaunderville
    slaunderville Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been using an exercise bike and allowed me a good workout, but not feeling uncoordinated or that I am flapping all over the place :) Good luck!
  • Katiekwilts
    Options
    Okay, I watched a couple of the Zumba YouTube videos and I was just plain thankful I didn't decide to try a class to look like that in! At 317 Zumba and videos were hard. At 295, they are still difficult but getting better. Years ago I worked with a personal trainer who suggested building muscle mass and core stability in conjunction with cardio but put more of an emphasis on the strength training. Her thinking was that muscle burns more calories and helps burn more during any cardio that you are doing, plus as the weight comes off the cardio will get easier since you are having to move less mass. I actually lost weight really well with her, until I got pregnant and there went that!

Sometimes I think it's good to focus on how much you are able to do. I totally get that the exercise videos are hard, and frankly when I do one I usually end up gasping for air and laughing myself silly, but Im still burning a whole lot more calories than if I were sitting on the couch watching TV and eating a bowl of ice cream! Anyway...

One of this trainers favorite tools was a stability ball, you would be amazed at what you can do with one, and honestly I used one with a physical therapist when I was pregnant and 325+just make sure you find one that is rated for you. Also, walking is great and its free and you can stop and talk to the neighbors. If your joints are aching then swimming is fantastic if you have access to a pool and the ability to make it from one side to another. Honestly, that's my favorite form or cardio, no impact and I never find myself covered in sweat (although Im not a fan of putting on the swimming suit!). Keep up the good work!
  • carrieann8
    Options
    Oooh I like this first one. Pinning that for use! I have made a Pinterest board with YouTube workouts I like. :)
  • carrieann8
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. So far, I'm enjoying YouTube because I don't have to buy something I may not like. Today I also discovered how much yard work there is to do in my back yard (where no one can see me). Between those two, I'm finding things I can do (and need to do!). I think I got this! :)
  • Bigdog214
    Bigdog214 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group but maybe this will help. I started this journey when I weighed 475 pounds. My first goal was to walk around the block which was approx 1 mile around. The first day, I made it less than 100 yards before I had to stop and get my breath leaning on someones mailbox. This continuesd every hundred yards or so until I finally made it around. The next day I was able to to 200 yards. The next day 400 yards and the 4th day I did the entire thing. Since losing more weight, I've actually done a 6 mile walk at 350 pounds.

My point it congrats for trying. It's OK that you only did 5 min of the video. Tomorrow try for 6 minutes. The next day try for 7. I have found that the body is incredibly resilient and adapts quicker than I would have thought. Be patient, and you'll be there in no time.

BTW, I'm no spring chicken. I'm 55 years old and had been sedentary for a long time. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    IMHO, any movement is a positive thing. Try try again is a good motto. I know I don't look pretty doing some things, but I do them anyway. I miss beats, steps etc but I try to keep moving. Walking instead of driving to the bus stop, taking the stairs, marching in place; they all get my heart going and a sheen of sweat. Calories burn non-discriminately.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I will second the walking. I know it isn't indoor, but it is easy and low impact. I started at 325 and walked 15 minutes at first, then kept adding more and more in, I'm now able to walk for about 1.5 hours, and sometimes on a shorter walk I'll add slow jogging intervals in, but that took about a month of walking to build up to it. (And I'm still over 300)

If not, really any kind of moving is great. I do have an indoor stationary bike that I love and when I want to shake things up I'll stream zumba or dances from Youtube, and it doesn't matter too much if you get all of the moves "right", because just moving and shaking yourself around will be wonderful.
  • WinterRaven41
    Options
    Check out LiveExercise on Youtube and search for their Launchpad series. It starts out with all seated exercise and starts out by building strength and endurance. You do it every other day, or 3 times a week. By stage 3 you will be really moving and out of the chair. They are also online at liveexercise.com and have a LOT of different work out series for whatever level you are looking for or target area's. It's only $7.99 a month. I'm loving it so far and found I am sticking to it since I didn't start out with something overwhelming, instead worked myself up a little more each time. It did start out seemingly too easy at first, but it does start getting harder! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI
  • weblur
    Options
    I've been wondering if I should invest in a stationary bike. It would be much less impact on my bad knees, I could use it no matter the weather, and listen to my audiobooks while using it. I'm still a ways away from braving a gym. Has anyone else bought a stationary bike? Did you make good use of it?
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    weblur,

I tried both a recumbent & stationary bike and I have bad knees; neither one worked for me. That doesn't mean it might not work for you. My knees are bone on bone so it's very painful for me to ride a bike; as much as I would like to. Have you tried an elliptical machine? My physical therapist suggested that back when my knees were in better shape; I'm just too short and my strides didn't cut it. Keep trying until you find something that works for you and your body.
  • Ceratopsy
    Ceratopsy Posts: 2,100 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if I should invest in a stationary bike. It would be much less impact on my bad knees, I could use it no matter the weather, and listen to my audiobooks while using it. I'm still a ways away from braving a gym. Has anyone else bought a stationary bike? Did you make good use of it?

I totally feel you on the not braving the gym, I'm not there yet either! I have an elliptical and it is great for all those reasons (weather, listen to books, ect) and using it daily I lost 50lbs. My only issue is that I got bored with it, stopped using it and gained my weight back. If you get a stationary bike I just suggest trying to mix it up with occasional walking or a low impact work out video so you don't get burnt out on just the one type of exercise. But all movement is good movement so keep moving!
  • weblur
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    More You Tube suggestions for low impact:

Jane Fonda's walk at home----I love this, a bit less of a workout, but when I was 360 it was challenging!

Leslie Sansone---her walk videos range from the 1 mile (I think its about 15 minutes) to a 3 mile with weights. These are more vigerous, and never fail to make me sweat!

JessicaSmithTV---look for her ones that say low impact
    she has an engaging personality and does some weird moves, but I like these.

And when I was close to 400 pounds, I would do the richard simmons disco sweat---I love richard! And even though I could only do 10 minutes, or 15, I kep at it till I could do the whole hour. I have been slacking lately, and need to get these back out.

Good luck---you can do this!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Water exercise is great for low impact. Either swimming or aqua aerobics are both wonderful for getting your heart rate going and protecting your back and joints.

Also, yoga is great exercise.... helps with aches and pains, mood and even breathing. You can work up quite a sweat doing yoga actually.

For those of you talking bikes....I find that when I use one, my thighs just get sore before I can even think about sweating....anyone else have that problem?
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I was at 363 I began with Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk. Boy it was hard! Now at 300 it's easier but her videos helped me get moving and now I try to do the longer ones like her 4 Fast Miles. Her videos were suggested to me here and honestly I think they're great for beginners! You just do what you can.