Finding time for a workout

Options
I know that ever since summer started, it was harder and harder for me to keep on track with my workouts. Kids are in camp and still they want to do a lot more activities and tend to stay up later! I get a lot less time to myself and of course the workouts suffer! I know it is not an excuse so I am working very hard to either get up earlier (like I used to once and it was great) or find time maybe at night to do a workout. Anyone else feels that they have fallen a little bit of track lately?? That is why I wanted to open a group where we can keep each other motivated and accountable to get our workouts in! Also, to share any health and fitness tip!!

Replies

• cindysherm
    cindysherm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you started this group! I've been on Fitness Pal for a few years now always trying to stay on track but struggling along the way. I'm hoping being a part of this group will help me with re-starting my motivation. I am having a hard time trying to get a workout in with working full-time, 2 kids who are also busy with activities, and I'm also taking an online college course. The scale keeps on creeping up though and I can't take it anymore! There was a time where I was working out 5-6 days a week and I was feeling good about myself and I really want to get back to that. Just like you, I was also getting up earlier. I have been struggling to get out of bed in the morning so I'm going to force myself to have a bed time starting tonight. I really have no excuse. I can get up earlier and I also am lucky to have access to a gym at a nearby apartment building that the property management company I work for manages. I can go on my lunch break, but I allow myself to stay stuck at my desk and I need to take advantage of my lunch breaks. Wishing you all the best and looking forward to keeping each other motivated. :smile:
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Most of my kids are younger (11, 4, 3, and 1) so I go right after the littles head to bed for the evening. My big kid really does his own thing most of the time after dinner. We tend to wake up early, between 5:30 and 6, as the bus for summer school leaves our stop at 7:30 and the two youngest get dropped at daycare just after 8.

My normal weekday workout is either a 3-5 mile walk or a 10-15 mile bike ride. On the long days I have to push it to get home before the sun goes down. I wish I could do it straight away in the morning but my husband leaves for work at 4:30 and I really don't want to get up in the dark!
  • j9ny
    j9ny Posts: 9
    Options
    I started the T25 workouts five weeks ago after months of deliberation. I couldn't justify the price at first and told myself I didn't need the DVDs to create and stick to a high intensity interval routine, but truth be told, months went by and I was no closer to my pre-baby #2 body. Each workout is only 25 minutes. My husband and I do them at night after we put the kids to bed. I feel so much better already and can see a difference in the way my clothes are fitting. Love this idea for a group!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. so glad to have the working moms group ! I was a stay at home mom a few years ago when I joined MFP and this is a whole new ball game working 40+ hrs a week. I have 3 kids (10,8 & 10 months)
    I usually do pretty good eating throughout the day, its the dinner choices that I need work on and getting motivated to workout. Not sure yet what will work best for me either the am or pm workouts but I need to do something and stay accountable.
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    I can SO relate to you. I also have a more then a full time job, 2 kids and getting my masters now. It seems that my plate is more than full! But I know that I cannot let myself ago and stop exercising. It will just make me feel miserable! I am starting to get up early in the morning or I also have a gym at work where sometimes I can workout at lunch. I do the DVDs which have have got me into a great shape over the years. It is so hard to keep myself motivated at times, so I find when I connect with other people in my situation REALLY helps to keep each other accountable! What workouts are you doing now?
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    I know it is really hard to find time, especially with 4 kids!! You are a super woman, I don't know how you do it! I am also very short on time so I do a 30 min DVDs at home and they have been very effective!!! I just want to have a group where we can all support each other to get the best possible results! What are your weight loss goals?
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    Shaun T has changed my life!! I have done Insanity after I gained enormous amount of weight after my last pregnancy. I was able to lost 40lbs with the program and it completely changed my body and life! I have done T25 as well and absolutely love it! I feel that those program are SO effective and will get you amazing results if you stick with it!!! Keep going !! It will be all worth it at the end, I promise!!
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    I also stubble with dinner because I tend to want to eat at night!! I find when I work out the first thing in the morning, it sets up my whole day and I also eat better. I just need to find motivation to do it every day!
  • maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is my problem now. I'm so busy with my work aside from taking care of baby, it's hard to squeeze in work out time.
  • lkirke01
    lkirke01 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started myfitnesspal and really getting serious about working out. I've wanted to for awhile after my 2nd child but due to school, the baby and other things it wasn't a good time. Well now my 2nd is almost 10 mo old I'm determined to put out gym membership to good use. My boyfriend was reluctant at first to watching the baby because she is super attached to me but she is getting better. So I have been going to the gym for almost 5 days. I love it, I miss it and I really hope I can keep it up. I already feel better and I get me time. I will stay dedicated to this for as long as my boyfriend supports me with watching the girls. I could go during the day and take the kids to the nursery but I think my almost 20 mo old would scream the whole time. Either way I'm determined to feel good and look good again. Right now I'm on my own routine but my gym offers classes so I'm hoping to get into Zumba or a cross training class.
  • Pamdiane82
    Pamdiane82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies....It's nice to have this group to check in :) I've recently started not giving my myself any more excuses of why I can't work out. Now I'm waking up to work out at 5am with Jillian's 30 day body shred 2-3 times a week, doing a stair workout in my office building once a week...I walk up 25 flights of stairs twice and at the end of that I'm sweating like crazy but it feels great and my last workout of the week is a 3-4 mile walk/run pushing my son in the jogging stroller. Before I had my son Logan I ran half marathons once a month and when I found out I was pregnant I was training for a marathon so I had to cancel that out. I don't think I'll ever do a marathon, but I would like to do a half marathon next year. My goal now at this stage in my life is to do a half once a year :)

Good luck everyone, looking forward to giving and gettng advice.
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Staying on track is very hard but hopefully with some motivation from this group, it can help! It is really hard for me to get to the gym, so I do workout DVDs at home so I can be with kids. It has been very effective and a great alternative when I can't get to the gym!
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    I also try to wake up in the morning and get the workout in! I feel like it is the best time and sets my whole day in the right direction! I love doing the DVDs at home as an alternative to the gym as well. I feel they work more for me!
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    You can start slow, mabye few times a week. Try to dedicate just 25-30 min and go from there. I always used to say I don't have time, but over the years I just made it a prioroty and try to make sure that I can squeeze workout in on most days!
  • shera426
    Options
    Any coffee drinkers? what do you do to keep it calorie friendly? I have this horrible weakness for white chocolate mochas. I caved this morning and bought one on my way to work, it puts a HUGE dent into my calories for the day and I did it anyway. I usually have coffee with the sugar free sweet cream creamer when I get to work but lately I keep stopping for a mocha, I can't seem to kick this bad habit of stopping on my way to work. So frustrated with myself
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    @Shera426 - I am ADDICTED to coffeee!!! It is one thing I REFUSE to ever give up. I am like you and I drink it with sugar free creamer and stevia but sometimes I just cannot pass Starbucks caramel machiato :)))) Don't beat yourself up! I just try to have it maybe once a week instead of every day!
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks for starting this group. It is so hard to workout with kids unless you can include them in it. I find that when I do my dvd workouts and they are around I get upset when they want or need me as I am struggling with the exercise. So as a result I get up at 5:15 during the week to get up.

I also got a fitbit to watch my calorie burn and it pushes me to move weather I am walking running etc.

My children are 6 and 8, my goal is to keep them active with me this summer, riding their bikes or just sprints and walking to keep them in shape for their winter sports.

But sometimes after work I just want to lay down and rest my head (but it never happens as I have a house to clean, yard to maintain etc). Thanks to summer all of my kids activities are on hold and more time is available.
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    @jocop2003 - I can relate to working out with kids is not ideal! Sometimes I have no choice but I also prefer to get up in the morning and just get it done! What DVDs are you doing?
  • GetFitWithPolina
    Options
    Just got my workout in! Super late today but got it done..That's what happens to me when I don't workout early on. I end up doing it so late. Did T25 Gamma. Only 25 minutes but a hell of a workout !!! What did you ladies do today?
  • shera426
    Options
    12 hr shift today so I'm going to squeeze in a walk after work