Paleo segment on Good morning America

Options
jenny373
jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
Did anyone see the segment on Paleo on GMA the other day? Grrr, very annoying. My sister called me this morning and told me that according to GMA this diet is not sustainable for the long term. Lol. Just thought I'd share...

https://gma.yahoo.com/video/paleo-diet-gains-attention-summer-123816738.html;_ylt=AkDWP2azb_iLad1AD1GSdpuo6.d_;_ylu=X3oDMTJmY2xxM2RhBG1pdAMEcGtnAzNkZTg3YzNjLTkyNDAtM2UzNy1iMjJhLWE1MDY0Y2NlNDAwZQRwb3MDNARzZWMDTWVkaWFCQ2Fyb3VzZWxNaXhlZExQQ0E-;_ylg=X3oDMTBtMXYydHJiBGxhbmcDZW4tVVMEdGVzdANTU0xfT24-;_ylv=3

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I take those judgments with a big grain of salt. Who sponsors the show? Lots of food corporations, pharmaceutical corporations, etc? (Watching what commercials are aired will tell you who are behind many of the opinions presented in the program.) Are those groups not VERY motivated to keep slamming the Paleo lifestyle? Sick/fat/processed food addicted people are the best for corporate profits by and large. Anyone who can't filter the information (garbage) that they get through the television is a lost cause anyway (well, there is hope, but they have to wake up and choose to see past the mind numbing propaganda).

A bunch of weight loss "experts" rated Paleo the "worst" diet.... check out who were the "experts". It was rated worst for being "restrictive" and "unsustainable". Everyone in this group knows how much BS that is. Not rated "unhealthy" and one would think that would matter most when assessing a diet.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How is it not sustainable? You're eating Vegetables, Protein, healthy fats, occasional treats, and making better choices. I think people get too caught up in the labeling of eating a certain way (paleo, atkins, low fat, weightwatchers, etc.) and that you have to follow every diet 100% to the T in order to be successful. Making better nutritional choices is NEVER a bad thing. If following a certain way of eating helps you do that then who cares? I started out eating primal and I find now that I can pass over sugar heavy treats for a simple piece of dark chocolate, I can eat a hamburger without a bun but wrapped in lettuce instead and not feel like I'm missing out on anything, I can eat a piece of pizza or two (even though it isn't primal or paleo) with friends on the far and in between get togethers and not feel bad about it because 80-90% of my diet is a THOUSAND times healthier than it used to be. Am I strict paleo/primal? No. The guidelines help me stick to healthier choices though and I give myself the option that if I WANT it (which I haven't craved anything surprisingly) I allow myself to have it in moderation but that works for me.

I agree with how it could be expensive, grass fed meats and things can add up but if you can't afford that stuff there's no reason for you not to still follow the GUIDELINES with what you can afford.

I really hated how the clip of the cartoon was of the caveman saying 'no thanks i ate last week'. Since when are people not eating when on paleo diet? That was taken out of context imo and could leave people who don't know anything about paleo thinking that people that do follow paleo don't eat much or starve themselves. I know they were trying to poke fun at cavemen with it but I also know about the paleo diet and that it is more than just what you eat. It's also about making better choices (not just eating something because it's expected of us) from food to activity to getting more sleep to trying to live less stressfully. At least IMO.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How is it not sustainable? You're eating Vegetables, Protein, healthy fats, occasional treats, and making better choices. I think people get too caught up in the labeling of eating a certain way (paleo, atkins, low fat, weightwatchers, etc.) and that you have to follow every diet 100% to the T in order to be successful. Making better nutritional choices is NEVER a bad thing. If following a certain way of eating helps you do that then who cares? I started out eating primal and I find now that I can pass over sugar heavy treats for a simple piece of dark chocolate, I can eat a hamburger without a bun but wrapped in lettuce instead and not feel like I'm missing out on anything, I can eat a piece of pizza or two (even though it isn't primal or paleo) with friends on the far and in between get togethers and not feel bad about it because 80-90% of my diet is a THOUSAND times healthier than it used to be. Am I strict paleo/primal? No. The guidelines help me stick to healthier choices though and I give myself the option that if I WANT it (which I haven't craved anything surprisingly) I allow myself to have it in moderation but that works for me.

But...but...but...what about HEART-HEALTHY WHOLE GRAINS and BONE-BUILDING MILK?! Where are you going to get your calcium and.....and....and....

....whatever it is that grains have going for them?

Cutting out whole food groups is never sustainable! (Tell that to the vegetarians.)

You need carbs! (A. "carbs" and "grains" are not interchangeable. B. Tell that to the Inuits on their traditional diet, and every single person whose life and mental health has been saved by the Ketogenic diet.)

(In case it's not obvious, all of the above is sarcasm, except for the stuff in parens contradicting what's next to it.)

I think this is one of the times that I'm actually glad my in-laws watch Fox, instead of ABC, because then they won't watch it, and by extension, I won't have to watch it (and give GMA yet another view count) to then debunk all the garbage.
  • NahrasWay
    Options
    Where are you going to get your calcium

I was kind of confused about the comment in the video about having to take the calcium supplement. Serious question, is Dairy the only way to get calcium? Cause my boyfriend is Lactose intolerant and so we (I do if I want it, but not usually cause I feel bad eating it in front of him lol) don't eat dairy because of it, does he need a calcium supplement? Do all lactose intolerant people need to take calcium supplements since they don't eat dairy?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I was kind of confused about the comment in the video about having to take the calcium supplement. Serious question, is Dairy the only way to get calcium? Cause my boyfriend is Lactose intolerant and so we (I do if I want it, but not usually cause I feel bad eating it in front of him lol) don't eat dairy because of it, does he need a calcium supplement? Do all lactose intolerant people need to take calcium supplements since they don't eat dairy?

No, dairy is not the only way to get calcium. Additionally, on Paleo, while calcium intake does generally drop, absorption tends to go way up, because you're getting more nutrients overall, including Vitamin D (which is required to assist in calcium absorption, that's why milk is fortified with Vitamin D).

If you're really that worried about Calcium intake, here are some options:

1. Green vegetables (namely, dark, leafy greens, but just about any green vegetable has at least some)
    2. Bony fish where you also eat the bones (sardines, mackerel, canned salmon, etc)
    3. Bone broth
    4. Blackstrap molasses
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

The "need" for pasteurized dairy and a bunch of calcium (which is hard to absorb from dairy anyway) is just another myth. Since minerals are less depleted when gut inflammation is non-existent, I think it's a non issue. Calcium also relies on vitamins D3 and K2 and SAD is notoriously deficient in those. I know that some of us here have some issues with mineral deficiencies, usually magnesium, but we are usually miles ahead of "balanced diet" people. Of course we must keep in mind that fewer nutrients in soil due to today's agricultural methods means less micro-nutrients in the food. Working to include organ meats, bone broth, fermented foods, etc is also very important.

I don't think most people need a calcium supplement and I think that some people are getting too much when they choose to supplement.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

The "need" for pasteurized dairy and a bunch of calcium (which is hard to absorb from dairy anyway) is just another myth. Since minerals are less depleted when gut inflammation is non-existent, I think it's a non issue. Calcium also relies on vitamins D3 and K2 and SAD is notoriously deficient in those. I know that some of us here have some issues with mineral deficiencies, usually magnesium, but we are usually miles ahead of "balanced diet" people. Of course we must keep in mind that fewer nutrients in soil due to today's agricultural methods means less micro-nutrients in the food. Working to include organ meats, bone broth, fermented foods, etc is also very important.

I don't think most people need a calcium supplement and I think that some people are getting too much when they choose to supplement.

And before anyone asks why there's such a thing as too much calcium -- iron deficiency anemia.

Calcium inhibits iron absorption, especially when more than 300mg is consumed at the same time. 300mg is actually the amount in a serving of milk and a number of the foods on the higher end of calcium content. The fact that most other foods "only" have 80, 100, 150mg -- particularly when those foods also happen to be the ones with a good amount of iron (namely, greens) -- is, in fact, a good thing for absorption of both minerals.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    67cca346154f3fbf685d19368eda2232.jpg
  • NahrasWay
    Options
    Ah sweet, thanks for the answers. With this list and such I'm not worried for him because we eat a lot of those items in our diet so I'm sure he's fine! Thanks again!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Wellnessmama has this rather timely post, which actually goes into detail on the problems with dairy for calcium and calcium supplementation, as well as details about each non-dairy food item and about how it's about more than just the amount of calcium in a given food item.

http://wellnessmama.com/18369/calcium-without-dairy/