Progress report!

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Alot of you know, I was just diagnosed Type 2 diabetic on 3/27/14. Been making it my goal to beat this. I have since gone to the LCHF woe, and I have dropped 6 pant sizes already!! I work out 5 times a weeks, and my goal is to be off my diabetic meds soon. I don't beleive the myth that the dr's feed you, that you can never be cured. I am gonna do it! Gonna beat this thing, and you all can to!

Replies

• melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If I don't say it enough I'm proud of you. You've come a long way and are doing awesome!!!! :drinker:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!
    I was diagnosed 4/29/14 and I'm already starting to lose steam with my diet and exercise. I started off great.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it is not a myth. Diabetes can not be cured as of today's medical and nutritional knowledge.

You may control symptoms and complications through diet and exercise, but you will not be cured. To test this; just eat a pan of brownies and watch your BG shoot up. This does not happen if you don't have diabetes.

I am not trying t rain on your parade, as eating properly and exercising is critical to managing this disease and it sounds like you are doing great. But too many websites claim diabetes can be cured or reversed and I'm afraid that is simply not true.
  • amberj32
    Options
    You are awesome!!
    I was diagnosed 4/29/14 and I'm already starting to lose steam with my diet and exercise. I started off great.

Edited - Sorry computer glitch. Posted twice and not sure how to delete.
  • amberj32
    Options
    I'm afraid it is not a myth. Diabetes can not be cured.

You may control symptoms and complications through diet and exercise, but you will not be cured. To test this; just eat a pan of brownies and watch your BG shoot up. This does not happen if you don't have diabetes.

I am not trying t rain on your parade, as eating properly and exercising is critical to managing this disease and it sounds like you are doing great. But too many websites claim diabetes can be cured or reversed and I'm afraid that is simply not true.

Are you talking about it shooting up to over 200 or something? A non-diabetic can eat a pan of brownies and will see some rise in their blood sugar.

I'm not saying diabetes can be cured either.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it is not a myth. Diabetes can not be cured.

Are you talking about it shooting up to over 200 or something? A non-diabetic can eat a pan of brownies and will see some rise in their blood sugar.

I'm not saying diabetes can be cured either.

Indeed. However, the difference is in the recovery or lack thereof. A non diabetic will not reach 'diabetic' levels. The system that regulates their blood sugar is not broken. I believe that is north of 180mg/dl & must come back down within a certain amount of time. Then there's that pesky fasting blood sugar. According to bloodsugar101.com, it's the last thing to go.
    Unfortunately, it cannot be cured. Managed....absolutely.

You have a right to normal blood sugars. Good on you OP for taking charge & I wish you well. I've gone from 160+ (at 5' tall) to 125#'s with another 15 to go and also do Keto :drinker:
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great to hear how people are managing diabetes with lifestyle changes. What keeps you motivated to stick with the healthy plans you've put in place? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I do and don't disagree, and thanks for all the kudos!! I feel I can kick the meds(did it before) and will always be glucose sensitive, but a true diabetic? My dr told me it is reversible if caught early enough, and I am commit to this way of eating for life. I know I will always have sensitivities though. My motivation? I watched my mom die from this horrible disease. I refuse to go that way.
  • amberj32
    Options
    I do and don't disagree, and thanks for all the kudos!! I feel I can kick the meds(did it before) and will always be glucose sensitive, but a true diabetic? My dr told me it is reversible if caught early enough, and I am commit to this way of eating for life. I know I will always have sensitivities though. My motivation? I watched my mom die from this horrible disease. I refuse to go that way.

Keep up the great work!!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, congratulations on your success!

Maybe we are differing on semantics, but not substance in this thread. Are the terms "Cured, but sugar sensitive", and "Well managed diabetic" actually referring to the same thing?

I was diagnosed as diabetic at the end of April this year. To me, being diabetic means that something isn't working right in my "insulin process". I found this website when trying to understand what that means: http://www.betacell.org/content/articleview/article_id/1/page/1/glossary/0/

I manage my blood sugar levels, and therefore the more observable symptoms through weight loss, diet, exercise, and oral medications. Some of these efforts can gain me a short-term buffer to fluctuating glucose levels. None of these, however, address the specific deficiency I have in my insulin process in the long term.

In fact, after reading "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes!" on bloodsugar101.com, I recognize that diabetes can be any number of problems in the insulin process. I have received no genetic testing, or elaborate blood chemistry work-ups to identify what the malfunctioning step in that wonderfully complex chain of events is (Yay science! :smile: ). I'm not even sure those tests are commonly available, or even exist for each potential issue. I don't even know if researchers have identified every potential issue. How can it have gotten "fixed" when no one knows exactly what is wrong? And finally, I definitely can't say it's been fixed when nobody even knows what to test to verify the problem has gone away.

If we can agree that "Cured, but sugar sensitive", and "Well managed diabetic" both mean that we all have an unaddressed issue with the insulin process that will need lifelong diligence and good health habits to manage, than there is no actual disagreement. They are effectively the same.

But again, kudos!
  • kamaperry
    Options

Keep up the great work!!
    Thanks!!
  • kamaperry
    Options

Maybe we are differing on semantics, but not substance in this thread. Are the terms "Cured, but sugar sensitive", and "Well managed diabetic" actually referring to the same thing?

I was diagnosed as diabetic at the end of April this year. To me, being diabetic means that something isn't working right in my "insulin process". I found this website when trying to understand what that means: http://www.betacell.org/content/articleview/article_id/1/page/1/glossary/0/

I manage my blood sugar levels, and therefore the more observable symptoms through weight loss, diet, exercise, and oral medications. Some of these efforts can gain me a short-term buffer to fluctuating glucose levels. None of these, however, address the specific deficiency I have in my insulin process in the long term.

In fact, after reading "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes!" on bloodsugar101.com, I recognize that diabetes can be any number of problems in the insulin process. I have received no genetic testing, or elaborate blood chemistry work-ups to identify what the malfunctioning step in that wonderfully complex chain of events is. I'm not even sure those test are common, or even exist for each potential issue. I don't even know if researchers have identified every potential issue. How can it have gotten "fixed" when no one knows exactly what is wrong? And finally I can't say it's been fixed, when nobody even knows what to test to verify the problem has gone away.

If we can agree that "Cured, but sugar sensitive", and "Well managed diabetic" both mean that we all have an unaddressed issue with the insulin process that will need lifelong diligence and good health habits, than there is no actual disagreement. They are effectively the same.

But again, kudos!
    Thank you :)

My stance on this is I have also lost faith in "Traditional" Modern Medicine, especially the diet advice. The "40 carbs per meal and 15 per snacks" is so wrong for alot of us. I keep my carbs around 22 (more or less sometimes) per day, and it has really brought my blood sugar down and regulated it. I eat good, healthy and tasty food, and I have lots of energy. The number on the meter keeps me going, no food tastes as good as a great low reading to me. But I don't trust the diet advice of medical nutritionists or the ADA for that matter. I feel they are tryng to keep up on meds, but that is my personal feeling.
  • amberj32
    Options

In fact, after reading "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes!" on bloodsugar101.com, I recognize that diabetes can be any number of problems in the insulin process. I have received no genetic testing, or elaborate blood chemistry work-ups to identify what the malfunctioning step in that wonderfully complex chain of events is. I'm not even sure those test are common, or even exist for each potential issue. I don't even know if researchers have identified every potential issue. How can it have gotten "fixed" when no one knows exactly what is wrong? And finally I can't say it's been fixed, when nobody even knows what to test to verify the problem has gone away.

If we can agree that "Cured, but sugar sensitive", and "Well managed diabetic" both mean that we all have an unaddressed issue with the insulin process that will need lifelong diligence and good health habits, than there is no actual disagreement. They are effectively the same.

But again, kudos!
    Thank you :)

My stance on this is I have also lost faith in "Traditional" Modern Medicine, especially the diet advice. The "40 carbs per meal and 15 per snacks" is so wrong for alot of us. I keep my carbs around 22 (more or less sometimes) per day, and it has really brought my blood sugar down and regulated it. I eat good, healthy and tasty food, and I have lots of energy. The number on the meter keeps me going, no food tastes as good as a great low reading to me. But I don't trust the diet advice of medical nutritionists or the ADA for that matter. I feel they are tryng to keep up on meds, but that is my personal feeling.

I'm skeptical of traditional modern medicine. I think it depends on how long you've had high blood sugar readings and when they "catch" that you have diabetes and how many carbs per meal you can have a day. My doctor gave me paperwork about the 30-45 carbs per meal and 15-30 per snacks. He said to follow that for weight loss. It's worked fine for me. Sometimes I'm a little over that and I'm okay. My blood sugar is never over 120 two hours after any meal. I'm also on 500 mg of Metformin 3 times a day. Who know?! Diabetes is a crazy thing!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    The current guidelines for diabetes recommend that each person find the type of eating plan that works for them. The guidelines have become much more flexible over the past few years, realizing that there isn't one set eating plan that is appropriate for everyone with diabetes. It's great to hear how so many people have found an eating plan that not only controls diabetes, but also is one that they enjoy eating. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great Job! You are making great progress and leading a healthier life. It's already a win! Keep it up!

Kerri
  • kamaperry
    Options
    The current guidelines for diabetes recommend that each person find the type of eating plan that works for them. The guidelines have become much more flexible over the past few years, realizing that there isn't one set eating plan that is appropriate for everyone with diabetes. It's great to hear how so many people have found an eating plan that not only controls diabetes, but also is one that they enjoy eating. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    I totally agree, until I cut my carbs, my BS was all over the place, including some scary lows. Now it has pretty much stablized at a good low range. My WOE may not work for for everyone, but we all have to find our niche. Thanks for the support, all!