I hate running out of test strips!

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I have not tested in probably almost a week or maybe a week already ,I ran out but I only get 100 for the whole month but there are days I use 5-6 if I have to use my Novolog or if I wake up not feeling well. Does anyone else have this problem!? Am I testing to much?

Replies

• kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, No, you are not testing too often, we need to test often to get control of our BS. I would call your doc and ask for more. I am trying that.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I told my endo I needed more and how many I use and they wrote for that number. Hope you get what you need. It's hard to not know what your BG is doing.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask for more out go to Wal-Mart and buy the Relion meter for $16.24 and 50 test strips for $9.00. I test 5-6 times a day too.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask for more out go to Wal-Mart and buy the Relion meter for $16.24 and 50 test strips for $9.00. I test 5-6 times a day too.

Oh wow ! I'm paying 50.00 a month and still not having enough. Thank you so much I'm going to go get one.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I told my Endo that I test up to 7 times daily. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. However, I never run out of strips & my insurance pays for it, so why not?

The more I test, the better control I have, & when I asked for a revised Rx for additional strips last year, he didn't bat an eye when I said 7 x daily :wink:

I didn't realize they were so expensive until I had run out & had to purchase some. I got some factory sealed boxes shipped, for half of what I paid at the drug store or Amazon from Ebay before it occurred to me to just ask for more strips.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Insurance companies vary so much and it also depends on your personal needs. Mine will pay 100% for 100 strips every 90 days if you are on oral medication or 300 strips every 90 days if on insulin. No exceptions. I still test several times a day so I got a Relion for my extra testing and I use the Freestyle that insurance covers for my one a day "official" reading.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    My dr told me 100 strips a month but being on insulin my testing varies. I'm thinking of getting the Relion also.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been buying extra at about $50 a piece! It's worth it!
  • sdouglas0728
    sdouglas0728 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had my endo write my scripts for wayyy more stuff than I actually need because I get worried about it. I also know two people with insurance that gives them test strips for free and they give me their extras.
    I'm actually about to go to the pharmacy and pick up wayyyyy too much stuff because I put everything on automatic refill and have way more than I need. I actually need to go adjust my prescriptions because I'm spending too much by hoarding my supplies.
    However, I had a day last month where I didn't eat because I ran out of novolog needles and was worried about it.