Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Newbie - Squat Form

DeadsAndDoritos
DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
Hi,

I just started SL 5x5 last week and today will be my 4th workout. I'm really enjoying it a lot more than expected and seeing the progress photos on here is really motivating.

I have a question about squat form. I struggle to get parallel, never mind below parallel. Even without the bar, I struggle to get below parallel due to poor flexibility. Should I be counting my squats as fails if I can't get below parallel? I think it might be demotivating for me to count them as fails, but am not sure if increasing weight before I get the form down is a good idea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Suzanne

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    can you get below parallel as a BW squat without losing balance?

If you know where the tightness is then you can start addressing it with foam rolling or a few appointments with a physio to release the knotted areas.

Other things you can add is a low box to squat on to and/or raise your heels up slightly on a couple of 2.5 plates and see if that helps a bit. I would try these with the bar until you are comfortable with getting the depth and then add weight without the box and see how you go
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    can you get below parallel as a BW squat without losing balance?

If you know where the tightness is then you can start addressing it with foam rolling or a few appointments with a physio to release the knotted areas.

Other things you can add is a low box to squat on to and/or raise your heels up slightly on a couple of 2.5 plates and see if that helps a bit. I would try these with the bar until you are comfortable with getting the depth and then add weight without the box and see how you go

She said she couldn't get parallel even without the bar:
    I struggle to get parallel, never mind below parallel. Even without the bar, I struggle to get below parallel due to poor flexibility.

OP, you can work on your hip flexibility.
    Just google some hip flexibility/hip mobility stuff.
    When my hip was tight, my physical therapist looped a heavy resistance band (like pull up assistance bands, not the resistance bands from Target) around the cable tower and I had to crawl out with wrapped in my leg (I suck at explaining this). But it was something I had seen a youtube video for before - from some huge lifting dude, he demonstrated how to do - it should come up with hip mobility as a search.

You can also stretch your hips out more - yoga, google "runners hip stretches"
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    I have the same problem. Put something under you just below parallel and practice with BW on that. I also started to do some goblet squats over the last week and that has helped with my hip flexibility, I was doing ATG on them yesterday. LOTS of stretching also. You'll get there!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Thank you all for the replies. Nice to know this is a problem that can be overcome.

Today I practiced some BW squats and managed to get below parallel. But with the bar, I couldn't do it even once. My issue doesn't seem to be with balance, it just feels really awkward and my body just won't do it. Should I continue with BW only for a while? Or is it possible to improve my form with the bar?

Thank you for the advice about hip flexibility exercises. I will definitely look into those. I will try the goblet squats too.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Sorry I meant to say get to parallel with BW not below lol.

If you are managing BW but not with the bar whats changing on your body shape to stop you getting depth?

Supported BW squats can help stretch and loosen your hips, after a 10min warm up like treadmill or bike or something hold onto the frame of the squat rack and work yourself into progressively deeper squats holding for 5-10 seconds each time then try them unsupported and hold the squat at the bottom
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I would also suggest playing with foot position. Hips are built in different ways, bones are different lengths in relation to others and other factors lead to there being no "right" stance width that works for everyone. Work on your flexibility for sure, but you might find going wider (or more narrow if your trying to squat quite wide) helps.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Thanks again for the advice. Today is my day off and I am going a run after work. I will try some BW squats afterwards to see if I can loosen up a bit. Tomorrow, I will try my squats with a wider stance. I think that might help.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    I would also suggest playing with foot position. Hips are built in different ways, bones are different lengths in relation to others and other factors lead to there being no "right" stance width that works for everyone. Work on your flexibility for sure, but you might find going wider (or more narrow if your trying to squat quite wide) helps.
    This! :)
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Hi again,

Today I tried a widened stance with the bar but still couldn't get below parallel. Decided to do BW squats instead. Put a high step under me and tried to hit it each time. It was difficult not to sit down on it! Anyway, I managed almost 5x5 in this way but it was very painful for my hips so I obviously am really inflexible in that area. Tried again with the bar but no joy. Will continue with BW squats until it doesn't cause so much pain in my hips.

Also, had trouble with my bench press today. I have moved up to 22.5kg from the bar alone and really stuggled on all my sets. On the final set I had to be rescued from under the bar (should have been using a rack, I know). Ugh. Disappointing.

I am pretty sure my barbell row form is no good either. I can't stop my shoulders from rounding and I can't get low enough.

Think I might need to splash out on some personal trainer sessions to get the form down before I can start adding weight. Still, I will persevere!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Don't get discouraged, just try everything that has been suggested and find what works for you. Different body types have different difficulties as well. Although flexibility is my first problem, I am also fairly tall and have a longer than normal torso than most women. Squats are difficult for me, even getting parallel is difficult which is why I keep my weight fairly low until I get better at getting deeper in the squat. I also do better with a wider stance and do a lot of sumo squats/sumo deadlifts and box squats to help.

Keep up the good work and remember to go at your own pace, not everyone can increase the weight as often as others.

Oh and I can deadlift, bench and OHP more weight than I can squat (if trying to go below parallel) strange!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    Thanks for the encouragement! :smile: I am sure it will get better. I am still enjoying lifting so that is very positive.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    I haven't actually started yet, I am going to see a trainer in the next week or so to make sure I have proper form. But, I tried BW squats, and couldn't get parallel either. I read a couple of things online, and watched some videos, and decided that I had to turn my feet out slightly. If I have them facing forward, I can't get down far enough.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    I had another workout today. Did BW squats to just above the step under me. I think I am leaning forward too much and that's why the weight on my back stops me being able to squat deep. Not sure if I should stick with BW or just add weight even though my form suffers. :huh: