Just joined

Options
heavenlyb14
heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
Hello everyone,

I have been peri-menopausal for three years now and chronically anaemic for almost all of that time. My consultant has recently said 'enough is enough' and I am due to have a hysterectomy on the 2nd of July.

I find myself feeling anxious about the operation but quite excited at the thought of having some energy and never having to have blood transfusions again.

Has anyone else on here had a hysterectomy and is willing to share their experiences with me?

Replies

• debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't had one, but my sister did. She was very much like what you are describing. After the healing process, she found new energy and a zest for lift. I think the changes in your body take so long and you get used to feeling so bad, it is the normal for you. then when she finally felt good - WOW. good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Oh thank you so much, this is the result that I am hoping for. How long did it take your sister to recover?
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Has anyone else had a hysterectomy?
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yep...two years ago and it's been fantastic since then! I'm slimmer, healthier, fitter and happier all round. Go for it! PM and/or FR if you want to ask anything :flowerforyou:
  • menogain
    menogain Posts: 8
    Options
    On May 14th I had both ovaries and tubes removed because of non-cancerous/hormone producing tumors. I had no periods for 8 years then this tumor caused me to go backwards with bleeding, pain, abdominal swelling, acne and rapid weight gain. I lost the pain, acne and belly but kept some of the weight which is why I am here. Although I didn't have a hysterectomy, I can tell you I feel sooooooooo much better! The Doc would not agree to a full hysterectomy..she said because there was no issues with my uterus. Best wishes!
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    This afternoon, a nurse from the hospital called and told me that the operation has been cancelled at the hospital of my choice. This is because, despite having another blood transfusion recently, my blood count has dropped again and my platelet levels have increased by too much and so they wont risk performing the operation in a hospital that doesn't have an intensive care unit. So now I am waiting to hear from the consultant to see what we do next.

I have been anxious about it because I have had two strokes due to a blood clot and know that this operation increases my chances of having another one.

I have complained to my two best friends and had a little weep so self-pity time is over and getting in better shape planning is on.

In July I will:-

Walk for at least five miles a day, every day.
    Start pilates
    Start the weekly Tai Chi class that I was putting off until after the operation.
    I will continue to put nutrition above cravings.
    I will live a portion of every day as if it was my last and as if I need my body to hold up until I am 100 years old.

I am going to repeat the list in my head like a mantra until I stop being frightened about the anaesthetist and consultant wanting to have an intensive care unit on hand.

Thank you all for your responses, I know that I still have to have a hysterectomy but no longer know when.