First proper butterfly lesson

Options
60sPanda
60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
I have had a few lessons to top up crawl technique (almost perfect), breaststroke (perfect), backstroke (little more work needed) and plucked up the courage to ask the instructor to finally teach me fly. Boy was that hard! Kudos to all of you who can do this, as I couldn't get the arm/hip co-ordination at all. Have a couple of basic timing and posture drills to work on over the next week - fingers crossed I can get this well enough to be able to put a basic fly together at the next lesson, otherwise I will need to save hard to be able to book more sessions!

Replies

• ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The way it went for me (and I think is fairly typical) is you will struggle and struggle and struggle to get the timing right. Then all of a sudden it clicks and you wonder what the heck was so hard about that? Drills help a lot, especially one-armed fly (for me at least). You'll definitely get it soon enough.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Thanks Professor - that's what I was thinking as well and as I am nothing but determined when it comes to learning skills I will practice and practice and practice. A good thing is that I can tell when I am doing my drills incorrectly, so that is a start.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I saw a YouTube video yesterday on a fly drill that supposedly helps you learn the rhythm of the kick and is supposed to be more relaxing for beginners. The drill involves extra kicks between the pulls. You basically do one full stroke and after the recovery, keep your arms out in front (like you're about to catch the water and do your next pull), do two or three extra dolphin kicks and then a full stroke. I think the video is called "butterfly extra kick fly", by GoSwim.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Thanks J1 - I will check that out as it sounds pretty similar to what I have been asked to do by my instructor.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt you'll get it, you've gotten all of the other strokes down & this will be no different. As Prof. Owl said, it will all of a sudden "click" - I tell the kids I work with that it's like riding a bike, all of a sudden you've got it & you'll never forget how....

My MFP friend, LKuderna, pointed me to a YouTube video for a butterfly "tipping" drill that helps with the timing of the body. That might be another good resource for you. The biggest thing that will help is practicing the things you learn.....
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can also do a lot of one armed fly drills, especially if you are still just building up the strength and rhythm for it.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    I did 15 mins of my fly drills this morning and seemed to get it most of the time but I only do a couple of leg kicks then arms then glide and stop/start again. My hips felt like the were dipping at the right moment instead of my bottom poking out of the water when I lift my arms out as was happening before! I will google both the suggestions (tipping drill and one arm drill) and give them a go on my next swim on Saturday. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Once you feel it consistently, try swimming the stroke without the stop/start & see how it goes........
  • conniekat8
    Options
    I did 15 mins of my fly drills this morning and seemed to get it most of the time but I only do a couple of leg kicks then arms then glide and stop/start again. My hips felt like the were dipping at the right moment instead of my bottom poking out of the water when I lift my arms out as was happening before! I will google both the suggestions (tipping drill and one arm drill) and give them a go on my next swim on Saturday. Thanks for all the suggestions.

For a while you may want to do a drill with a dolphin kick and breaststroke pull, they are little easier to do then fly arm pulls, and they can help you get the hang of the rhythm, and getting your hips up high. People call it kick timing, I prefer to call it rhythm that happens throughout the whole stroke cycle. If you get the whole rhythm of it down, then it will be easy fine tuning little things, like doing the kick a tad sooner or later. With timing of a specific part, especially with people who are just learning, people often zero in on one component of the stroke and neglect that it needs to work as a whole.

Fly and breast are both considered 'short axis strokes', in plain language that means they are related, lot of basic building blocks are similar and can be used for both.

To prevent hips from sinking and that whole sliding downward and backward feeling, rhythm and building up strength are key components to fixing it.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Thanks Connie - I already do breaststroke with fly legs (I can't do traditional breaststroke legs due to hip problems) - I seem to get the rhythm there OK, but my issue is more that when I lift my arms out of the water for fly my hips also rise out of the water instead of being down so that's what I will be practising like crazy tomorrow. Will let you know how i get on.
  • conniekat8
    Options
    oh, oops, I read that wrong, I thought you had said your hips were sinking. *blush*
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks Connie - I already do breaststroke with fly legs (I can't do traditional breaststroke legs due to hip problems) - I seem to get the rhythm there OK, but my issue is more that when I lift my arms out of the water for fly my hips also rise out of the water instead of being down so that's what I will be practising like crazy tomorrow. Will let you know how i get on.

I'm wondering how one manages to do that (if I'm understanding correctly) - raises their hips out of the water when they raise their arms out of the water. Unless you're really tall and your feet are on the bottom or you have really strong legs, that would make a good trick.

I must be misunderstanding something.
  • conniekat8
    Options

How fast is your fly? Do you practice any of it with fins? Fins may give you some extra momentum so your hips don't have time to float up?
    Although, this is very much a guess on my part, not having actually seen you swim.

Make sure you do the dolphin kick with your whole lower body, the movement goes almost from the chest down. It may be possible you are doing it with just legs, especially knees and down, so if your hips aren't engaged and pushing down, they could float up. Again, I'm guessing trying to think of things that may cause it.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Make sure you do the dolphin kick with your whole lower body, the movement goes almost from the chest down. It may be possible you are doing it with just legs, especially knees and down, so if your hips aren't engaged and pushing down, they could float up. Again, I'm guessing trying to think of things that may cause it.

That could very well be it, it usually happens when you're trying to kick as your arms are starting to come forward over the top of the water - like trying to kick & stroke at the same time - instead of when you start to pull down after your hands enter the water.....
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    I have no idea how my hips come up either but they do! Had a good session this morning as I had a lane to myself for a whole 20 mins so did a lot of drills. I think I am almost getting there on the rhythm but definately need much more work and practise.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    You'll have it in no time!!!!