Has anyone ever.....

emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
Ditched all their traditional cardio workouts and ONLY done kettlebell workouts?

I had been focused on running and swimming but am wondering what would happen if I stopped those and did largely KB workouts - maybe something like KB 3 times a week with 1-2 runs and 1-2 swims.

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    pretty much what I do now ! I do 2 hour long intense kettle bell sessions - one that is more 30 mins less intense and 3 x 35 - 40 mins runs - for me the runs are really for endurance and the bells are more stamina - I think 24 mins is the longed I woe for in any one shot and that is 1 min work 1 min rest intervals - BUT - in the past I have used very light bells ( for me - 8kg ) and done various swings, cleans + jerk, snatches, high pulls, true snatches in sets - I had 2 or 3 combos that took 20 mins each that I would do back to back - you can easily keep going for an hour
  • AseRock2
    AseRock2 Posts: 19
    This past week I've done nothing but KB workouts and it has kicked my butt more then my usual workouts. This could be because my body isn't use to it though. I've decided to continue working out primarily with KB's to see what happens.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Nothing can increase my cardio like sets of KB snatches with as much weight as I can handle with good form. I just prefer to run because it holds my interest. I can totally get a great workout with KBs but it is hard to make them my main means to fitness.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Yep! I often only do KB and just walk my dog (which I would do with or without the KB workouts and is not what I would really call exercise, except the hills, maybe! LOL). Most times, I throw in one sprint session, but I don't think I really need it. I don't do any "long" cardio anymore. 3 - 30 min. KB workouts and maybe a sprint day (20 mins). Feels awesome to not be a slave to working out, but to still see awesome results.
  • mattsams1
    mattsams1 Posts: 8 Member
    For the most part, over the last 6 years, I have only done kettlebell work with a couple of periods in which I have temporarily switched back to barbell work.