New to Paleo. Back on the tracking wagon.

Options
dizziedawgie
dizziedawgie Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys,

I'm way new to paleo and just getting started today. I fall off the weight loss wagon a lot and I really like the paleo philosophy. I've already tried keto but it made me feel terrible so I'm hoping something a little more natural would work best. I would love some friends that would be a great support system on days when pizza and bread are all I can think of. Right now i'm like 5' even and 148 wanting to get down to 115-120.

I have a lot of joint issues and end up injuring myself every time I try to get back into a workout. When I have surgery, I always end up putting on another 5-10 pounds. Hoping that focusing on the diet part of things will greatly reduce my need for a lot of exercise.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• kthor036
    kthor036 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Dizzie,

I just started my new Primal life today, too. I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and I fed up with the up and down blood sugar roller coaster which makes weight loss difficult and painful. We can definitely do this and please friend me (I will send you my MFP ID#, if you can tell me where to find it,) :)

KT
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi all- just wanted to say a few things about my Paleo journey so far- I began in February this year after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and trying everything that was out there from Nutri system to Jenny Craig to dozens of other diets. 10 yrs ago I went on Atkins & had good results losing about 25 pounds, along with steady exercise. I stopped Atkins & gained back most of the weight, about 1 yr ago I began reading Marks Daily Apple & learned about Primal diet lifestyle & also Paleo. I finally took the step into Paleo this yr & have been learning more each day. My total weight loss is 8 lbs from Feb. but have only been on MFP for 17 days. I believe exercise is a large contributing factor to achieve weight loss along with the right diet. I made the mistake of indulging in too many Paleo treats the first few months not thinking that those were full of calories, so tracking my food intake is definitely helping me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you are consistent with this lifestyle the results will amaze you. If not, you will be underwhelmed and continue to struggle. I'm not sure what's "unnatural" about a ketogenic lifestyle but it goes well with Paleo, as most of our ancestors did exist in a ketogenic state much of the time. Did you feel badly long term, or did you not push past the "carb flu"?

While food choice is the majority of health, I don't think that choosing Paleo so that you can avoid exercise is a good strategy. On any lifestyle if you are not active, you can lose muscle. That looks great on the scale but is terrible in every other way. However, chronic cardio really doesn't do anyone much good, but you need a way to stay strong.

I hope that you can commit and enjoy the benefits. My advice would be to focus on HEALTH above weight loss. Also, concentrate most on food quality and less on calories. Watch your sugar, even from fruit. Do NOT avoid fat. 50-75% is a healthy range. Avoid Paleo substitutes until you are well established with this lifestyle. If you are obsessed with the scale and think it's the way to determine whether you are doing well or not, get rid of it. Paleo works as a lifelong commitment to health. It's a fail as a short term measure just for weight loss.

I've been Primal/Paleo for almost 2 years. I never eat wheat. Never. I see some people that continue to struggle and I think that one rule really keeps me committed and feeling great.