Counting Laps

Options
jjeanmneis
jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
Is it just me? I'm always loosing count and start looking at my over all time in the pool. What can I do to help keep track of my laps?

Replies

• conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Is this for a workout or competition? If you are off by a lap during a workout, it's not the end of the world.
    Usually when I forget my count, I make myself do an extra lap (50)... makes me pay closer attention, and hopefully I don't mess up count too much to cut myself too short. Varied and short sets help with that too, 5 sets of 200 is easier to count then 1000, and you can take very short rests, or no rest at all if you are swimming a 1000.
    Write yourself a simple workout to follow, so you know where you are at.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You could bring some pennies with you and move one penny each time you finish a lap.

You could also use the lane dividers to count by moving one whatchamacallit every time you finish a lap. Oh, what do you call those things??
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You could also use the lane dividers to count by moving one whatchamacallit every time you finish a lap. Oh, what do you call those things??

Lane rope segments :bigsmile:
  • smm773
    smm773 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh, i do that all the time. good idea about the pennies or something!
  • jjeanmneis
    Options
    Both are great ideas!
  • jjeanmneis
    Options
    Has anyone tried using SportCount Lap Counter? It's a one-button, thumb operated lap counter that is worn on the pointer finger that also records split & elapsed times.

as an after thought it could pull double duty and be a row counter - helping me keep track of my knitting :tongue:
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I have a Sports Count and it does good. Mine is still going strong after 18 months, 440 miles, or about 300 hours. Get the one that does time also. They make a cheaper counter only, but timing and counting is nicer.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have used the SportCount lap counter extensively. Works great. I'd record every 50, although sometimes I'd miss the press because my mind was wandering or I was too focused during a hard set. It was easy enough to just hit it again to get back to the right count.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I count in cadence. It's kind of like mediating.
    When I do distance it's:

5 sets of 16 laps for example.
    "1 of 1".
    "2 of 1"
    "3 of 1". Etc.
    a little crazy but it works for me.
    If I loose track I just do extra.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Swim Watch. I've had it for about 3 months and I'm still learning how to use it.
  • jjeanmneis
    Options
    Fantastic! I just ordared the counter on Amazon. I can't wait for it to arrive!!! :bigsmile:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oh a Garmin Swim, I was looking at those.

I ended up getting a Timex tap watch. I use the chrono feature and I tap it every lap I do.

If I upgrade I will probably go for a Garmin swim or the Garmin Forerunner 910xt

My friend would use the alphabet to count.