Upcoming 5Ks

Options

Replies

• joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    april 13th -- will be facing my second race.

It's called Carol of the 5K and was supposed to be held back in December, however, weather got in the way and so here we are.

It should be fairly small, since it is in my hometown, and the route has not been published, but the starting point is known, so it's sure to be somewhat hilly.

just hoping to do better than my first one. will be a challenge since I have to go out of town on Saturday and should be back home after a long drive about an hour before race time.

24:27 PR...previous 5K was 25:58
    good for 3rd overall ... small local 5 K and the wind was brutal on the back portion...30+ gusts with 16 sustained... so i decided to run a bit faster than planned pace at the start and I think it was a good call. running into the wind was like running through jello.
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I ran my 2nd 5K last Sunday. My first, 4 weeks prior, was in 28:08. This one was in 27:12. And that was after a night of virtually no sleep. I'm a professional musician and and was working an out of town wedding. Gig finished at 1AM. Didn't finish packing and leaving until after 3. Home around 4:30. Got maybe half an hour of sleep before getting up at 6. So for 30 minutes of sleep and having spent 7 hours on my feet right before, I'm pretty pleased with my time. I think I could've been a lot faster with a good night's rest though.

Luckily, this was a free 5K. There's a non-profit group here in Houston that puts on free 5Ks at two different locations every month to promote wellness and encourage people to run. One on the first Sunday of the month in the Houston Heights and one on the last Sunday of the month in Katy, TX. I hadn't been able to do them before because the start time conflicts with my church gig (which is also in Katy), but I had last Sunday off. And now they're moving the start time up from 8AM to 7 for the summer months so I'll be able to run the next few races.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for the Kennedy Drive 8K in San Francisco on May 25. I figure I will be there anyways, so why not? Also, price is only $5(!)

http://dserunners.com/ai1ec_event/kennedy-drive-8k-2/?instance_id=130

I have a fairly soft 8K PR so I'm hoping to break that but otherwise I don't really have a time goal. I have run in Golden Gate Park before and while it's flat by SF standards, for mortals it's still quite hilly. On the plus side this course gets the uphill out of the way at the start (which is how I like it).
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My next 5k is the Cheddar Challenge at Young's Jersey Dairy just outside of Dayton. They will have milkshakes along the course, and cheese at the end! Two weeks after that is the Donut Dash 5k in Dayton. For every donut you eat they take 2 minutes off your finish time....Then at end of August will have the Cheetah Run 5k at the Cincinnati Zoo.... then the Air Force 10k in September. May pick up another one or two.. not sure...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My next 5k is the Cheddar Challenge at Young's Jersey Dairy just outside of Dayton. They will have milkshakes along the course, and cheese at the end! Two weeks after that is the Donut Dash 5k in Dayton. For every donut you eat they take 2 minutes off your finish time....Then at end of August will have the Cheetah Run 5k at the Cincinnati Zoo.... then the Air Force 10k in September. May pick up another one or two.. not sure...

Fellow Daytonite adjusting calendar now :)
  • davemunger
    Options
    Then at end of August will have the Cheetah Run 5k at the Cincinnati Zoo.

So in this one you eat Cheetahs? Or try to outrun them so they don't eat you?
  • iwannabinnarnia
    Options

Fellow Daytonite adjusting calendar now :)

I'm not really a Daytonite.. soooo.. which are you planning to do?
  • iwannabinnarnia
    Options
    Then at end of August will have the Cheetah Run 5k at the Cincinnati Zoo.

So in this one you eat Cheetahs? Or try to outrun them so they don't eat you?

hahaha.... They let the Cheetahs loose and anyone without a chunk of skin missing as they cross the finish line wins!
  • iwannabinnarnia
    Options
    Welp.. The Cheddar Challenge is behind me... next up is the Donut Dash 5k on the 28th... not sure how to 'count' this.. as they deduct 2 minutes off time for every donut you eat.. so I could just run it without stopping for a donut... but what fun would that be? :tongue:
  • iwannabinnarnia
    Options
    Hmmm... no one else running any upcoming 5ks? I've now got the Donut Dash finished.. next up is July 12th.. The Wounded Warrior 5k.. all proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project! What a great organization and one that I am proud and honored to lend my legs to! :happy:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My next 5K (and first one for the season) is on Friday. I've walked this 5K the past three years so this will be my first year running it. I started C25K in May last year with the intention of running it with a friend, only to find out 2 weeks before the race she hadn't been running at all, so we walked it together. This year I'm running it alone. I think she might feel bad about that (she just asked me a week ago if I wanted to do it together), but this race is why I started running in the first place so this is my payoff.

I've only run one 5K start to finish, which was August last year. I did one in September where I took off way too fast and ended up walking the final mile. I did one in October with that same friend but at her pace (we ran about half of it). My only race since then was a HM 9 days ago. I am nervous about this 5K because the September 5K is still haunting me - that's the last 5K I tried to run competitively and I really botched it up. It's more important to me to run the entire thing than it is to finish in any particular time. Just need to go kill the hills.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have night race in Dunedin, FL on July 3rd/4th. Well, it's supposed to start at 11:25pm so I would hope to be finished before midnight, however with an estimated 1600 runners in just the 5K, I am guessing (hoping) they will have a wave start, so maybe not. Should be fun...i haven't done a night race in a while. I was semi-thinking I could get a p/r since most of Florida=Flat. But then I remembered that Florida also= humidity, so we'll just see how it goes. :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have night race in Dunedin, FL on July 3rd/4th. Well, it's supposed to start at 11:25pm so I would hope to be finished before midnight, however with an estimated 1600 runners in just the 5K, I am guessing (hoping) they will have a wave start, so maybe not. Should be fun...i haven't done a night race in a while. I was semi-thinking I could get a p/r since most of Florida=Flat. But then I remembered that Florida also= humidity, so we'll just see how it goes. :)

I did a 5K last year with 2200 runners and they did not do a wave start. But it was chip timed.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have 2 5Ks coming up next month as part of the MRTC Summer RRS...I am going to try and PR the course on one of them. But the other one will have 8 extra miles attached to it so just going to go easy with it (both are at the same location and on the same course).
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A flat, fast 5K for 4th of July. Hoping to get in under 26 minutes. My time to beat is 27:32 (also a flat, fast race, only 8 miles from the one I'm doing this Friday, the courses are pretty similar). That time is from last June, and I've done a half marathon since then, so I'm pretty sure I'll set a new PR

I'm just going to promise myself I'll enjoy the race, regardless of finish time!
  • lorierin22
    Options
    I am guessing (hoping) they will have a wave start, so maybe not.

I did a 5K last year with 2200 runners and they did not do a wave start. But it was chip timed.

This one will be chip timed...but that is still a lot of dodging at the beginning if no waves. Could be worse though. The one I did last year had 1200 people and was not even chip timed and we all started together. Plus they had a small chute at the finish that got very backed up so people started going around and messed up their finish card system. I heard they are chip timing this year. That was a disaster.
  • lorierin22
    Options
    A flat, fast 5K for 4th of July. Hoping to get in under 26 minutes. My time to beat is 27:32 (also a flat, fast race, only 8 miles from the one I'm doing this Friday, the courses are pretty similar). That time is from last June, and I've done a half marathon since then, so I'm pretty sure I'll set a new PR

I'm just going to promise myself I'll enjoy the race, regardless of finish time!
    Good luck! :)
  • davemunger
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Doug!

I'm actually not even signed up for any 5Ks right now but I am thinking about this one on October 5:

http://www.festivalofraces.com/

This is the U.S. National Master's championship. Based on last year's results I wouldn't have a shot at winning my age group but it would be exciting to race with some seriously awesome runners my age.

Okay, I signed up for this one! First time ever traveling for a 5k. Should be an interesting experience. Here are the top 5 times in my age group (45-49) last year:

15:29
    15:41
    16:25
    16:33
    16:41

Best case scenario even a huge PR (my current PR is 17:49) would get me about an 8th in age group. But I am still looking forward to the challenge and competition.

The brutal thing about this race is that the folks who place in the top 5 overall don't get removed from the age groups, because it is specifically an age-group event.

I've also decided to run in the sub-17:59 group for tonight's track 5000-meter run. This will also ensure me of not placing, but again, I hope to be pulled to a solid PR by a strong group of runners.
  • jcct2014
    jcct2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My next 5Ks - In them to run not really compete.

5K Nun Run - Sept. 13, 2014
    http://www.littlesistersofthepoorbaltimore.org/news-events/265-nun-run-flyer
    Should be a lot of fun!! Little sisters of the poor sure are inspiring, and this is a great course.

5K in the Baltimore Marathon - Oct. 18, 2014
    http://www.thebaltimoremarathon.com/
    My time last year was something like 37 minutes. Want to go down to 27 mins (the Baltimore hills are killers, but will try my best).
  • jcct2014
    jcct2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The hills are a killer for me too (in Baltimore city). Pacing is important. I use Mapmyrun or Mapmywak apps to work on my pacing. I'm at the 12 min mile in the last few tries. Hope it will build endurance for the real day, but I run around where I live and the hills are not as bad.