Ugh

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
My knees are starting to bark at me, both of them. One has had three operations, the other is fine. I think I'm just pushing a bit too hard at the gym. Going to do low impact cardio this week whenever the WOD is leg heavy (like front squats today) to give them a break.

We have some testing coming for the end of our Paleo challenge and one of them involves running. Need to get them fully functional for that.

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My knees are starting to bark at me, both of them. One has had three operations, the other is fine. I think I'm just pushing a bit too hard at the gym. Going to do low impact cardio this week whenever the WOD is leg heavy (like front squats today) to give them a break.

We have some testing coming for the end of our Paleo challenge and one of them involves running. Need to get them fully functional for that.

Sending positive energy your way!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I think it's time to get better about taking care of them too. Going to start icing them every night whether I think they need it or not. Might try the epsom salt bath too just for overall soreness.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know every body is different but for me, epsom salt baths are good for general, overall body soreness but ice baths really help my knee pain. When I was training for a full marathon, I'd run 18+ miles before 8AM, take an ice bath, then run errands all day and never be in pain. Once, I didn't have time for a bath so I just iced my knees later that morning for about 15-20 minutes and could barely move for the rest of the weekend. I hope you find some relief, knee pain is no fun!
  • itsagr8daytolift
    itsagr8daytolift Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Swimming may be another good option too. I feel like about every 3 months or so I need a few days off from WODing, it gives me enough time to recover from aches and soreness. Good for you for listening to what your body is saying.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: eat something with gelatin to get some collagen in your system. I hear that helps with joints. Eating bone broth will give you gelatin.
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Do you use knee sleeves? I bought the Rehband knee sleeves a few months ago and I will tell you that it has made a major change for me! My knees are not as sore all the time and I find I have much better position while doing squats and lunges. I have even used them while doing wall balls. they really gave me the support I needed (I also find that my IT Bands are not bothering me as much as well). They can be a bit pricey but well worth it. Perhaps there is someone at your box that has some that will let you borrow them for a wod or two. Just to see if they would be good for you before splurging on them. I'm sending you good vibes and hope you get better soon. No fun being on the sidelines or not able to perform at 100%. Good Luck!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling . . . my 40 year old knees creek all the time. I would defintely add an extra "recovery" day into your schedule for a few weeks. I'm not suggesting all all out rest day, but switch to something for a day (instead of CrossFit) that will be more low-impact on your knees. Great options that I have incorporated are: Cycling, Swimming and/or just walking. If you have access to an eliptical machine that could be another option. **Good Luck**
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Do you use knee sleeves? I bought the Rehband knee sleeves a few months ago and I will tell you that it has made a major change for me! My knees are not as sore all the time and I find I have much better position while doing squats and lunges. I have even used them while doing wall balls. they really gave me the support I needed (I also find that my IT Bands are not bothering me as much as well). They can be a bit pricey but well worth it. Perhaps there is someone at your box that has some that will let you borrow them for a wod or two. Just to see if they would be good for you before splurging on them. I'm sending you good vibes and hope you get better soon. No fun being on the sidelines or not able to perform at 100%. Good Luck!

I don't but have been strongly considering them. might go ahead and spring for them soon.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have knee sleeves. Never wear them because they are hard to get on over the top of leggings and there is no way I'm subjecting everyone to my thighs in shorts. But they do help. It's a bit like a lifting belt: use them for the really tough work, not all the time.

Impact usually buggers up mine. Running, box jumps etc. I've had so many soft tissue problems around the knee and ankle, ridiculous.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Suggestion: eat something with gelatin to get some collagen in your system. I hear that helps with joints. Eating bone broth will give you gelatin.

I do that pretty frequently. I save all my beef and chicken bones and make broth when I have enough, then use it as a base for chili and stews.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I have knee sleeves. Never wear them because they are hard to get on over the top of leggings and there is no way I'm subjecting everyone to my thighs in shorts. But they do help. It's a bit like a lifting belt: use them for the really tough work, not all the time.

Impact usually buggers up mine. Running, box jumps etc. I've had so many soft tissue problems around the knee and ankle, ridiculous.

I generally don't wear leggings so that won't be an issue for me :)

The benchmark WOD today is 600m run, 25 pull ups (I will do ring rows) and 10 hang squat clean thrusters.

And, of course, it will be approximately 20 degrees hotter today than it was when we first tested.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think you'd look dashing in a pair of leggings :)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My legs are like tree trunks. I could probably make it work. I have calves like boulders so it would probably accentuate them :)