Bathing suit dilemna

Options
smm773
smm773 Posts: 56 Member
Hey . .so what is your routine with your suit . .do you rinse, wash, put it in the suit dryer?

I have gone through two bathing suits in the last 6 months as they start to disintegrate and get see through and lose the elastic. Someone told me to NOT dry it in dryer, which I don't do, but now on Saturday I noticed that the second one I got is falling apart. These are suits that are supposed to stand up to chlorine . . .

Thoughts about what I can do better, or not do . . .

Right now my routine is to head to shower with it on, shampoo my hair and rinse while still in suit, then i take suit off, rinse it, then let it air dry.

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always give my suit a quick wash and rinse when I am in the shower as well & leave it to air dry. I have bought all sorts of different costumes in the past year and a half I have been swimming again and none of them last beyond a few months (elasticity goes). So, now I buy cheap slazenger boyleg costumes (UK - £7.99 to £9.99 depending on the sellers mood) as I have found there is little point in spending too much cash.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have not had this problem...... what brand of suit are you using? I wear TYP, Nike, Dolphin or Speedo and they last for me.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with my bathing suit that is related to the pool is bleaching. I replaced my previous suit because it turned white (it was black). Even my blue hair color stands up to the chlorine better than my bathing suits.

I just hang mine up to dry. Maybe that's my problem. Lol
  • smm773
    Options
    The last two were from swim suits for all . .i think the brand was aqua belle and they were specifically branded for high pool use. Now that I don't need plus size suits, maybe I will have better luck. I now have a speedo one, and I just ordered two from swim outlet.

It's the elasticity that goes . . I couldn't think of that earlier when i posted . .
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I rinse and air dry. Occasionally I will wash them. I recently bought a polyester bathing suit that is supposed to hold up for hours of swimming weekly, It seems to be holding up pretty well. But I have just been using it for just over month.
    My normal speedo one that I bought in the fall is already starting to show its wear.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Lycra doesn't last as long as a polyester suit. Go to Swim Outlet and you can read articles on the various materials.
    I rinse in plain water and hang up to dry. Very once in awhile I wash it with Woolite in the sink.
    I do sometimes wash my less expensive or less favorite suits in the machine but I try to minimize it.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cold or warm water rinse and air dry for me too, but, the swimsuits are perishable items, especially if you swim often.
    I stick to TYR and Speedo sports suits they seem to last decently long time, I don't get lycra. If I have chlorine neutralizing hair shampoo, I will wash my hair with the suit on... I don't know if that helps.
    When they need a real wash, I use Woolite and hand wash in the sink.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week, (have 300 mile goal), and have had good luck with "H2o" wear. They seam to hold up with just rinsing and laying out to dry. I do rub the chlorine removal shampoo on it when I shower after my swim. After about 150 hours, they start losing the stretch.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    Can championship suits be worn in the pool?
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use an aqua tard by dolphin. Got it on amazon. I shower and rinse immediately after....then at home I rinse in clear water....use woolite twice a week, rinse and hang dry....
    I swim 4 to 5 times a week in a highly chlorinated pool. I have had this suit since January and it is holding up beautifully.
    Love the long legs on it also..so comfortable. I will post a pic at some point.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    I use an aqua tard by dolphin. Got it on amazon. I shower and rinse immediately after....then at home I rinse in clear water....use woolite twice a week, rinse and hang dry....
    I swim 4 to 5 times a week in a highly chlorinated pool. I have had this suit since January and it is holding up beautifully.
    Love the long legs on it also..so comfortable. I will post a pic at some point.

Just found this suit on Amazon and it sounds perfect! I just hate buying clothes online. I'm short with a big bust and it's hard to find bathing suits that fit on top but don't hang from the bottom.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0. I wear a 14 normally. I ordered a 14 and it's pretty true to size. It lined also. Plus....shaving my bikini line isn't a priority in this suit. :smile:
    My bust is 40 C. It fits. I do have marks on the insides of my armpits from the suit in the front. My arms are chunky at the top. ( don't I sound like a vision!). Lol
    Good luck.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    I am 5'0. I wear a 14 normally. I ordered a 14 and it's pretty true to size. It lined also. Plus....shaving my bikini line isn't a priority in this suit. :smile:
    My bust is 40 C. It fits. I do have marks on the insides of my armpits from the suit in the front. My arms are chunky at the top. ( don't I sound like a vision!). Lol
    Good luck.

I ordered a 12. I'm also 5'0" but have no idea what I wear in a dress size. I went by the size chart - a size 12 for a 38 bust. It just seemed odd to me because my current bathing suit is a 40. It still fits (albeit, it's starting to get a little saggy around the bottom and a little loose around the top).
  • secook326
    secook326 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    great article on care and fabric options for swimsuit: http://www.kiefer.com/blog/choosing-swimsuit-fabric-best-swimwear-material
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    I love your ticker!
  • smm773
    Options
    Good suggestions!! Thanks folks!,
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love your ticker!