New to horses and have questions

Options
Muldactus
Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
Just some quick background: I've been with my GF for 3.5 years. She's been riding off and on for almost 40 years, and in trying to encourage her to enjoy the hobby again, I somehow found myself caught up in it. I've ridden for a couple of years now but am still pretty green. However, since she loves it so much and I'm enjoying it, I took the plunge and bought a horse for myself.

I've been trying to do google searches to find tack shops in the area, but despite hearing word of mouth that there are a number in the area, I don't seem to be having much luck finding them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a website or resource that might give me a bit better luck?

Also, the GF rides English - she's interested in dressage and is hoping to do local shows in the future just for fun. For myself, I'm more interested in western, predominantly trail rides, tho we've discussed the idea of Cowboy Dressage to build the relationship between my horse PJ) and myself. We're having a rather difficult time finding a lesson barn that is able to teach both Dressage and Western - let alone Cowboy Dressage specifically. Is that normal? Is it hard to find places that cater to both styles, or am I just living in a bad area for that? (I live in the Kansas City area if that matters at all).

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    FIrstly, kudos to you for getting into something that your GF enjoys! It's great to see people sharing activities.

When people tell you that there are tack stores around, I'd ask for specifics. What is the store's name? What is the address and number? A lot of people use State Line Tack for basics. For saddles, as you undoubtedly know, it's best to have a knowledgeable person fit your horse and you to a saddle. Uncomfortable saddles and bits that pinch will turn a good horse-rider relationship sour quick.

Cowboy Dressage and Western Dressage, from what I can tell, is the same thing. Try looking online for a local group. Another thing you may consider is that many people simply love trail riding, and if that's you, don't let the pressure of performing with your horse take away the joy of the ride.

A good site to check is Meetup.com for groups of riders who get together and ride or share info. I'd try this out too; there are great people out there once you start to meet them! It seems like a lot of stables are either Western or English, which is too bad, but the needs are different. The best thing to do is to start asking the stables you do know and maybe even ask the local 4-H if anyone knows, or even the local college. If your college has a lot of agricultural degrees then it's likely that the college extension office will be a good source of information.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • Muldactus
    Options
    I've done a bit of research on the topics of Cowboy Dressage and Western Dressage, and believe it or not, they aren't the same thing. Western Dressage is pretty much the same as European Dressage only using western tack and clothing. The moves and expectations are still the same. Cowboy Dressage combines some things from Classical Dressage with western/cow-horse movements to create a unique program. For example, whereas Classic and Western Dressage use Walk/trot/canter, Cowboy Dressage uses Walk/jog/lope. Head carriage is substantially different, and cowboy dressage does not expect or want the suspension in a trot that Classical and Western Dressage look for. (at least, that according to the GF - I'm just trying to make it sound like I know what I'm saying :laugh: )

Yeah, I know about saddles, and I already know which saddle I'd love to have. But Circle Y saddles aren't cheap, so we're gonna wait a bit before throwing down that kinda money. :)

The issue with stables is that the one we use is run by a long-time friend of the GF. While the GF is perfectly OK with me riding western and encourages me to ride the way I want and like, the stables here say they teach 'western", but it's more the western dressage type - they put a western saddle on the horse and call it western riding. When I mentioned to the friend that runs the barn that I might be interested in Cowboy Dressage, she kinda of frowned at me and didn't look very happy.

Incidentally, the barn we're using has a trainer who was an alternate for the Netherlands Olympic Eventing team a number of years ago. She's the one my GF is taking lessons from. I'm taking basic/beginner lessons from the friend who kinda frowned at the idea of Cowboy Dressage.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Does the stable you're at allow you to bring in your own trainer? If they do you could find a western dressage trainer in the area and they could come to you.

Your barn isn't alone in thinking that just because the horse has a western saddle on it means it being ridden 'western'. Drives me a bit nuts, but what can you do.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's all in the details, ha ha! Well, hopefully you won't be discouraged to try the kind of riding because the stable owner looks down on it. That would be a shame. In every sport there can be a bit of elitism, as in "If you don't do it my/our way you're wrong".

Just look at MFP and the debates about sugar, eating clean, low carb, IF, IIFYM, etc.!

I hope you find something good that works for you both. It's so nice to see couples doing activities together!
  • Muldactus
    Options
    @Nerdy: I never thought to ask. I suppose I could try it, tho I'm a bit worried that since it's a friend of the GF she'll be offended and make the whole thing awkward. If it wasn't a friend I wouldn't even care about it - it would be a purely business transaction. But since it's a friend, that makes it a bit more awkward if that makes sense.

It's been a bit of a steep learning curve since I'm trying to learn it all at once. The boy I bought has only ever used a Hackamore - the lady said the one time they tried a bit on him he was REALLY nasty about it. But Cowboy Dressage (CD) doesn't allow a mechanical hack - they'll allow a Bosal and one other (not sure what it was called). So I'm looking up Hacks, Bosals, bitless bridles (not allowed), side pulls and all of this stuff and trying to wrap my mind around things and learn it all in the space of a few days so i know what to buy or not to buy. *laugh* I've got plenty of time, I know. But it's like me to throw myself in head first!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    @Nerdy: I never thought to ask. I suppose I could try it, tho I'm a bit worried that since it's a friend of the GF she'll be offended and make the whole thing awkward. If it wasn't a friend I wouldn't even care about it - it would be a purely business transaction. But since it's a friend, that makes it a bit more awkward if that makes sense.

It's been a bit of a steep learning curve since I'm trying to learn it all at once. The boy I bought has only ever used a Hackamore - the lady said the one time they tried a bit on him he was REALLY nasty about it. But Cowboy Dressage (CD) doesn't allow a mechanical hack - they'll allow a Bosal and one other (not sure what it was called). So I'm looking up Hacks, Bosals, bitless bridles (not allowed), side pulls and all of this stuff and trying to wrap my mind around things and learn it all in the space of a few days so i know what to buy or not to buy. *laugh* I've got plenty of time, I know. But it's like me to throw myself in head first!

Its super normal, around here anyway, to bring in an outside trainer. We have 2 wonderful trainers at our barn - but people often bring in "clinitians" or "higher level trainers" to teach - there's actually a multitude of trainers who consider themselves free lance and go from barn to barn teaching - professionally, she really should NOT get offended by this. If nothing else you are bettering yourself, as well as basically giving the barn advertising by bringing someone else in. A good trainer will appreciate this - and take the oportunity to watch someone else teach his/her students and use it as a learning experience. IMO. You are basically supplementing your own education and using whatever tools necessary to reach your goals - how could anyone be upset by this?

I wouldn't worry about not being able to compete in a hackamore - when's your first rated competition? Because until then, it shouldnt matter - they generally allow anything at schooling shows. Slow and steady...one thing at a time here... Bosals are great, I like them - but they are $$. If he was really nasty about the bit I would say - well - thats completely uneceptable. There's no reason for a horse to be nasty about a bit - have his teeth been floated in the last 6 months? What kind of bit were hey using? Did whoever was riding him know HOW to use a bit? Did he have harsh hands? There are a multitude of questions.... but, IMO, a horse should accept (resistance at first is fine) any training tool, bit, different saddle, whatever, you ask him to work with - it's part of the partnership you guys are going to build... I mean, do you really want to ride a horse that has certain thigs you "cant do because he freaks out" (not saying thats your horse, just generalizing things I hear). Absolutnely not - this is not safe for horse or rider! OK, I just went on a tangent and see myself going dow na road...turning around!

I bet you can still learn ALOT from this western dressage trainer - especially if you are green. Proper basics of dressage is great for ANY horse - it certainly isnt going to hurt. You can use an outside trainer to refine your cowboy dressage skills - just remember...you have to graduate kindergarden before you move up to first grade...right?

And as far as trail rides and such - I bet you and your GF can enjoy some of those together! Quality peaceful time out on the trails....ahhhhhh.....
  • Muldactus
    Options
    Some clarifications might be in order. CD is something that I'm curious about and am thinking about working towards. It isn't something that I'm planning on diving into right away. For now, the GF's friend is training me in basic riding - start, stop, steer, posting, and all that fun stuff. The idea for now is to get me to a point where I can handle anything that happens on a trail without losing control of the horse. The CD stuff is more with an eye to the future. They talk about soft hands and building a tighter bond with the horse, and I like that thought.

"If he was really nasty about the bit I would say - well - thats completely uneceptable. There's no reason for a horse to be nasty about a bit - have his teeth been floated in the last 6 months?"

I know he has within the last year, not sure about the last 6 month. The bit thing happened when he was younger and he was being trained up. (Incidentally, he was used for several years in a Women of the Wild West show. He enjoys crowds, loves attention, seems pretty bombproof, and even knows a few tricks). As for completely unacceptable.... sorry to be blunt, but from everything I read, that isn't a universally accepted viewpoint. There are a lot of people who feel that bits are inherently cruel and unnecessary - that being why things like hacks, and side-pulls and bosals sell. I'll grant you that it's more of a philosophical difference, and I'm not meaning to be a jerk about it. But in some ways it seems to me that it would be just as uncomfortable as using a ball gag would be for a person.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too argumentative. I'm new to the sport/hobby/lifestyle, but I suppose that doesn't stop me from having my own opinion about things.
  • MissMissle
    Options
    Some clarifications might be in order. CD is something that I'm curious about and am thinking about working towards. It isn't something that I'm planning on diving into right away. For now, the GF's friend is training me in basic riding - start, stop, steer, posting, and all that fun stuff. The idea for now is to get me to a point where I can handle anything that happens on a trail without losing control of the horse. The CD stuff is more with an eye to the future. They talk about soft hands and building a tighter bond with the horse, and I like that thought.

"If he was really nasty about the bit I would say - well - thats completely uneceptable. There's no reason for a horse to be nasty about a bit - have his teeth been floated in the last 6 months?"

I know he has within the last year, not sure about the last 6 month. The bit thing happened when he was younger and he was being trained up. (Incidentally, he was used for several years in a Women of the Wild West show. He enjoys crowds, loves attention, seems pretty bombproof, and even knows a few tricks). As for completely unacceptable.... sorry to be blunt, but from everything I read, that isn't a universally accepted viewpoint. There are a lot of people who feel that bits are inherently cruel and unnecessary - that being why things like hacks, and side-pulls and bosals sell. I'll grant you that it's more of a philosophical difference, and I'm not meaning to be a jerk about it. But in some ways it seems to me that it would be just as uncomfortable as using a ball gag would be for a person.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too argumentative. I'm new to the sport/hobby/lifestyle, but I suppose that doesn't stop me from having my own opinion about things.

Certainly not! A lot of people chose not to use bits... some because they don't like them...some because they find them cruel ... if you are interested Dr. Cook (Dr. Cooks bitless bridle) has a web site that explains the "pain / pressure" caused by bits - you might find it interesting! I guess I was more saying, again, IMO, that I wouldn't get on my horse if I thought she was going to be nasty about everything - holding a bit in her mouth doesnt hurt - if I catch her in the face - it does - if it's a pain responce, I would assume either I was being bad with my hands, or something's going on in her mouth - and I would investigate. As far as the bit being uncomfortable - I really don't know - but, she's not allowed to be "nasty" about anything - those reactions get her one thing and one thing only - ground work! (where I huff and puff equaly is hard so Im not sure who is actually winning here...).

I would say just have fun!! You are just starting - who knows where you will be in a year - you might have your eye on CD now but what if one day you accidentaly go over a log out in the woods and then youre like OMG I WANT TO EVENT! Just keep learning, reading, looking into different activities and trying new things. There's also something to be said for the fact that sometimes we have to change our goals based on our horse's capabilities. I wanet...errr wanted to do the hunters. My horse... not a hunter. And i can't afford 100K to spend on something that *might* get placed in a class out of 75 in a highly judgemental class.... so... Im just having fun with her doing what she can do. Meh, i wouldn't trade her for the world (even though she is the most high maintenance thing i have ever met in my life and Ive probbaly spent 8 grand in vet bills already this year alone...)

Side note: I have a friend whos a novice rider whos been in a panik for the last year about what she wants to do (this girl is anxiety ridden....) She came from an eventing barn, shes leasing a dressage horse that doesnt jump, but she misses jumping but doesnt think she wants to do the hunters and omg shes freaking out! I keep telling her - why do you have to decide? Its not like youre competing at a high level here, basically you can try them all at a low level... and take as much time as you want to figure out what you like. ......... You have plenty of time to find your 'grove" with your horse.

And if you get tack / equipment you dont like or dont end up needing... you can always sell it! Buuuuuut i think if you look in your GFs car / closet / tack trunk you may find that we, as horse people, cannot possibly have too many or too much of any piece of horse equipment, even if its totally unrelated o our disicpline, 5 sizes to small, half broken, etc, etc
  • MissMissle
    Options
    . As for completely unacceptable.... sorry to be blunt, but from everything I read, that isn't a universally accepted viewpoint. There are a lot of people who feel that bits are inherently cruel and unnecessary - that being why things like hacks, and side-pulls and bosals sell.

And keep reading... but remember just like the news, or in daily conversation....people generally only talk about the negatives.... For sake of conversation I'd argue that a bosal, and especially a hack, can do much, much worse damage in harsh hands than a bit can in soft hands :-)
  • Muldactus
    Options
    As far as raiding my GF's tack box, she rides english - she uses a postage stamp and the equivalent gear. Unfortunately, nothing she has really works for western. That's not EVEN getting into the fact that PJ is taller and more muscular than any horse she's ever known. She and her barn manager friend both think he's built perfectly for Vaulting - gymnastics on a horses back. I have NO interest in that. I'd hurt myself trying.

Even if a bit doesn't hurt, that isn't to say it's comfortable - I'll go back to my analogy of a ball gag. I've got reliable sources that say that ball gags don't hurt - but they are uncomfortable, especially for longer periods of time. I dunno. It's one of those things where the more I learn, the more I learn I don't know. :p I can definitely see where a Bosal can be painful - especially if it isn't fit properly and the rider is too hard with it. I've looked at Dr Cross's page and his special side pulls. They look interesting. Whether or not that's the route I want to go.... that I don't know.

I'm not like your friend - I'm not frantically trying to figure it out now. Like I said earlier, I just like to dive in and learn as much as I can. That said, getting a headpiece of some point is a bit higher priority. Tried to ride him just using his halter and clip on reins the other day, and that didn't go so well. ;p
  • MissMissle
    Options
    <---- fiannly chuckles at the fact this is like the third time you've brought up a ball gag and it didn't even phase me as off colored.

I bought a Dr. Cooks bitless - I cant show in it, but I do like jumping in it - I get really nervous that Im going to pull before the jumps....which makes me pull before the jumps.... which makes her stop. I dont have that problem in a Dr. Cooks. galloping around the track though? No brakes! I would say Dr. Cook's is "safer" than an englich stule hack (its been forever since Ive seen a western one so cant comment) - at least in the Cooks you cant potentially break their nose due to mis-fitting.

As far as the ball gag.... I dislike using a noseband on my horse. But then i had this trainer once (who i actually quite detested....and still do) ask me "are you uncomfortable for an hour a day" and i was like, are you kidding? an hour? My back is killing me right now....my feet are tired...bla blka bla... and she cut me off and was like "my point is, your horse can be a little uncomfortable for an hour and she wont die". Poor word choice - but - thats basically the way I go about my feeling on bits and gear and stuff.

LOL advice for riding in a halter again - teach your horse the "one rein stop", its your friend!

Im also going to go ahead and throw a little propaganda in here and suggest reading up on Buck Branaman. I attended two of his clinics, participated in one, and spent an entire summer with one of his understudies. His ideaology towards riding, and the horse, are simple, correct, proven, and very, very humbling. And hes not one of these "finger waging" "horse whispering" folks trying to sell an idea thats been around for a hundred years as "new", "natural" or anything else fance - he just does what he does, and is a really good teacher. Ok, sorry, hopefully this post doesnt get pulled for that...like Im trying to sell you a deit pill or something...
  • Muldactus
    Options
    For that old trainer.... maybe try the ball gag on her for a few hours and then assure her that she can be uncomfortable for a few hours and she won't die. (and yes, I noticed you didn't comment on it before. It was still the closest analogy I could come up with) :p

I'll try to remember to look up Buck Branaman. He's probably too far away to do me much good, but doesn't hurt to look and see.

One rein stop, huh. I'ma have to look that one up. I'm not familiar with it.

BTW, thank you very much for the discussion to everyone who's chimed in. I appreciate it.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I need my husband to drink whatever Kool-Aid your girlfriend gave you. Dear god, sir. You went riding with her and then bought a horse and now want to talk about tack?

I feel a little faint...
  • MissMissle
    Options
    I need my husband to drink whatever Kool-Aid your girlfriend gave you. Dear god, sir. You went riding with her and then bought a horse and now want to talk about tack?

I feel a little faint...

+1
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

I feel a little faint...

+1

+2

I am staying away from the whole ball gag convo, but wanted to say that if you have/get a trailer, you could possibly trailer into another barn for lessons on cowboy dressage. That might be a little less uncomfortable than having the trainer come to your property. A lot of the trainers around here (Georgia) accept students that trailer in their horses.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I feel a little faint...

Part of me loves it, but another part would be annoyed that he was cutting in on my "Me" time.
  • Muldactus
    Options

I feel a little faint...

Part of me loves it, but another part would be annoyed that he was cutting in on my "Me" time.

I try not to cut in on her private/alone time. It's something that we can do together, but if she wants to go spend time with her horse alone, or ride alone, I respect that and don't feel like I have to be there every minute.

@GreenGoddess: Yeah, but I'm doing it my own way. She rides using one of those postage stamps that you use, whereas I prefer a more manly man approach with a REAL saddle made out of, you know, real leather and real cows. ;) Just teasing of course. But yeah, I do prefer to do it my own way, which is western not english.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I ride English now (hunt seat), but I grew up riding Western pleasure and loved it.

In all seriousness, though, you wanted advice, so here's mine: You sound like you're doing your reading/research, giving GF her space, and doing your own thing. The only thing I can add to this is hours in the saddle. Hours and hours and hours in the saddle. Time and patience will build the experience that books and videos can't teach. And the books and videos help you grow as a rider, as well as help you analyze what went wrong whenever the horse apples hit the fan, so to speak.

You sound awesome, cowboy. Carry on. :drinker:
  • Muldactus
    Options
    Lol. Horse Apples, huh. That's a new one on me. Thanks for the smile - I could use it this morning.

So wait.... you're telling me that there's no easy way for me to just ZAP all the knowledge and ability into my head so that I can keep up? :grumble:
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good on you for catching the horse bug! My beloved has also become addicted in the last couple of years - he hoons around on my 30 year old Welsh Mountain pony, they're quite the pair of troublemakers... Now he's looking at horse ads online, considering tentpegging - there's no stopping him! Bloody men - he rides bareback in a halter, he's probably got a better seat than I do, and I've been riding since I was 6! Anyhoo...

First of all - I'd start by just learning the basics from whoever. Western or English, the basics are pretty much the same at heart. As long as you have a decent instructor, soak up what you can. Then if you want to specialise, you have a better base level of skill to work from.

Second, the bit thing... bitted or bitless, a bad rider can do horrendous damage to a horse. Bitted or bitless, good hands are kind hands, and do no damage. Some bits are horrendous - English and Western. I ride in a French-link snaffle, a very soft bit. My TB is a massive princess, and if something is uncomfortable, he tells me. He works beautifully in this bit. I also ride in a rope halter sometimes. If you do your research, and experiment, and the horse has no tooth issues, old injuries or conformational issues, you should find he can work in a bit. This is an Aussie lady who knows her bits http://www.bitbankaustralia.com.au/ - she gives great advice!

Thirdly - I think the most important aspect of learning to ride is having fun. Lessons are great for skill development, but just mucking around gives you confidence and hours in the saddle.

Oh yes, definitely learn the One Rein Stop. The best tool in any rider's toolbox, n00bs or experts!

Buck Brannaman is great. Warwick Schiller also posts a lot of free vids, he's very down to earth, no nonsense and practical.

And never, ever think you know everything. There's always more to learn.

Welcome to the best insanity I know :)