Running & Muscle gain??

Options
jojomul
jojomul Posts: 7 Member
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this. I have been weight training for over 2 years now and have built a small base of muscle, but I want to build more. However, I have recently taken up running as well. I never used to be able to run ( used to be 30lbs over weight ), but I find Im starting to enjoy it now. I do 5km runs about twice a week, on occasion try to increase the distance. Yesterday i managed over 8km. I ALWAYS have protein (boiled egg / greek yogurt) prior to a run with a little carb.

But I want to as advise on how running will affect my muscle building. I currently weight train 3 days a week with HIIT cardio on weight days and either running or a combo of HIIT/Steady state cardio on non weight days.

Current Kcal is set at 1500, but I usually take in around 1200kcal.
I'm 5ft 2", 31 yrs old.

If anyone has any advise on how to keep muscle while running, it would be greatly appreciated.

My food and exercise diaries are open for public view if anyone needs to see them (user name: jojomul)

Replies

• CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    My opinion from my own experience and casual reseach is it depends on how much you run. If you are running more than 3 miles a day, you probably will have a tough time gaining muscle. In fact, you will most likely lose muscle. However, eating enough protein and weight training will slow the muscle loss down a bit. Also, It's about calories. In simpliest terms, you gain muscle and fat in a surplus and lose muscle and fat in a deficit. So upping your calories will help maintain muscle as well.

I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt. There is a lot of other more complicated stuff going on as well.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 1200 calories, you are going to have a difficult (if not impossible) time putting on muscle in the first place. Building muscle mass requires a calorie surplus (you can't build something with nothing). Running tends to make maintaining that surplus more difficult. I love to run and usually will mix it in with weight training when I'm trying to cut fat, but if you want to build muscle, I would probably try to limit running during that time. And eat more.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Calories feed muscle.

Except for very few exceptions, true muscle (not just neural adaptations) will be built only in a calorie surplus. Length of time and amount of a surplus is debated, but everyone agrees that you need a surplus to build muscle.

Running will create a deficit if you don't eat enough, so while you can hope to maintain your LBM, your actual muscle gain will be minimal (not zero, but FAR from optimal) Not saying that running is bad in and of itself, but if you want to also see your muscle mass go up, you've gotta eat more.

I say this having minimal knowledge of your body composition, etc... so take it with a grain of salt.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My husband has been running for years, and he eats calories at or above maintenance. As a result, he has completely beastly leg muscles. Also, lately he has been drinking protein shakes immediately after running and has noticed an increase in muscle definition from that. Good luck!