Is Paleo Expensive.... My personal experience

Options
carrieann8
carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
I started Paleo almost 14 days ago. I started on a Friday (payday) and get paid biweekly. So, since we are not planning on going out ordering out for the next few days, I did some calculations for my last two pay periods... I considered only food - eating out, ordering out, and groceries. Now of course, groceries includes some general household items but that holds true for both weeks. So here are my honest to goodness calculations. And NO I did not plan this or plan to do this..

Pre-Paleo Pay Period
Ordering out: 132.28
Eating Out: 155.18
Groceries: 186.69
Total: 474.15

Post-Paleo Pay Period
Ordering out: 0
Eating out: 78.74
Groceries: 331.07
Total: 409.81

Savings = 64.34

As you can see, yes, the cost of groceries increased. BUT I quit ordering out at all. I cut eating out by half. And my savings are pretty good. :)

I think it will even be better next week because I had to buy a few Paleo staples I didn't have like coconut oil and some of the stuff we buy in the beginning. I also might have overbought some on meats and vegetables meaning I will have several meals to last through this payday.

Anyway, just some "food for thought".

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I've had the same experience.

:-)
  • carrieann8
    Options
    I was really surprised by the fact t hat I was saving money! LOL. I figured I would break even!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Great encouragement!

Bulk ordering can help. We buy our coconut oil once a year: 5 gallon bucket for around $120. We have in the past bought grass fed beef by the quarter and filled our little chest freezer, enough for months of good eating -- spendy, but cheaper than a pound or two a time at the store. I wish I could afford to buy a whole quarter now, but I don't have a chunk of money at present.

I feel like I'm spending more with Primal, but that's because we used to fill up with cheap(er) pasta and rice and potatoes, and now we're eating more meat and eggs and poultry.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    also much cheaper than diabetes and high blood pressure - those are expensive.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Great encouragement!

Bulk ordering can help. We buy our coconut oil once a year: 5 gallon bucket for around $120. We have in the past bought grass fed beef by the quarter and filled our little chest freezer, enough for months of good eating -- spendy, but cheaper than a pound or two a time at the store. I wish I could afford to buy a whole quarter now, but I don't have a chunk of money at present.

I feel like I'm spending more with Primal, but that's because we used to fill up with cheap(er) pasta and rice and potatoes, and now we're eating more meat and eggs and poultry.

My sister buys coconut oil 5 gallons at a time.

Since going Paleo it's become my favorite to cook with.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Agree 100%!

Great post CarrieAnn!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely cheaper and make your grocery shopping faster too - spend a few more minutes in the veggie section, but don't go down all those other aisles unless I know there is something specific I need. No packaged food anymore!!
  • carrieann8
    Options
    Definitely cheaper and make your grocery shopping faster too - spend a few more minutes in the veggie section, but don't go down all those other aisles unless I know there is something specific I need. No packaged food anymore!!

Exactly!!! I avoid the aisle as much as possible. If I have to go down the aisle, I wonder why. Its made me start making my own broth and mayo. :)
  • homesweeths
    Options

Exactly!!! I avoid the aisle as much as possible. If I have to go down the aisle, I wonder why. Its made me start making my own broth and mayo. :)

What's your go-to mayo recipe?

I need to make mayo today and can't find the one I was using before. I do know it had light olive oil, egg (not just yolk), vinegar or lemon juice, and maybe some mustard? Don't remember for sure, and don't remember the proportions. Drat -- it worked well with our Blendtec, better than some other recipes I tried before settling on that one.
  • homesweeths
    Options

You have such a way with words. This is amazingly true. Doctor visits for our family are way down (still the occasional visit for x-rays after an Ultimate Frisbee injury for one of the teens, for example), and while I'm spending a bit on supplements (glucosamine and vitamin C, mostly), my spending for pain meds has dropped to zero. So I guess you can add migraines and arthritis to the list.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Great encouragement!

My sister buys coconut oil 5 gallons at a time.

Since going Paleo it's become my favorite to cook with.

Coconut oil is amazing! I use it in all my cooking. Our teens use it as a makeup remover and suntan oil. We also use it to moisturize dry, calloused feet, or to soothe athlete's foot (it's anti-fungal, too). There are other uses I can't think of at the moment, but if you google uses for coconut oil you'll come up with hundreds of ideas.

And of course, it's the main ingredient in my bullet-proof coffee. Besides coffee, that is.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    mayo is not made with the whole egg,only the yolk..here is a recipe for you
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon white vinegar
    3/4 cup macadamia nut oil or avocado oil
  • homesweeths
    Options
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white vinegar

That's what was weird about this mayo recipe (the one that worked well in my blender), it used the whole egg. Odd, eh?
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe from Ultimate Paleo Guide

2 eggs(whole eggs)
    2 cups light olive oil or walnut oil
    2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp mustard
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/3 tsp cayenne pepper

I've used my immersion blender as well as my food processor, turns out great either way.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I just looked up Ultimate Paleo Guide. What fun! Great resource, at first glance. I look forward to exploring further. The mayo recipe is very similar to the one I was using. It works well in my blender. The egg-yolk-only recipes don't have enough volume to work in my blender -- the blades are too high and so the ingredients that you're supposed to mix before adding the oil, don't get mixed, they just sit there beneath the spinning blades. The other thing I remember from my recipe (probably stated in most mayo recipes) is to let the eggs come to room temperature before beginning.

Didn't find the mayo recipe in Ultimate Paleo Guide's recipe section, so thank you so much for including it in your comment, but did find a recipe for fat bombs (though they weren't called that) very similar to mine, though they use all coconut oil instead of half CO and half butter. (Of course, butter isn't necessarily Paleo, is it? I think ghee is considered "okay" but I'm not sure about butter.)

I was going to start a Whole30 yesterday, but am holding off because right now I'm getting pastured raw cream (Jersey, no less!) for $4 a quart. That is a seasonal thing -- gone by October, probably. So I'm "Whole30" in all but dairy... which means, of course, I'm not Whole30 at all. LOL! It's okay, though. I used to drive myself crazy with strict checklists and "falling off the wagon". Now it's about principles and listening to my body.

...off to get the eggs out of the fridge so I can make mayo today for holiday picnic recipes: coleslaw, deviled eggs, chicken salad, egg salad...
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Veggies can be less expensive than packaged food! Someone said to me, isn't it expensive to eat the way you're eating? I said, No, produce is cheap!
  • carrieann8
    Options
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white vinegar

Yup, pretty much that.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Pre-Paleo Pay Period
    Ordering out: 132.28
    Eating Out: 155.18
    Groceries: 186.69
    Total: 474.15

Post-Paleo Pay Period
    Ordering out: 0
    Eating out: 78.74
    Groceries: 331.07
    Total: 409.81

Savings = 64.34

Very cool, way to go! I love this.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I first started my grocery bill went DOWN. I wouldn't have believed it except that I have kept track of every cent I spend for years. That the things I buy cost more are offset by the fact that I now eat less. I was saving 10-20%.

However, living in the Arctic and moving into getting grass-fed meats may increase my spending a little but I feel it's well worth it. It looks like I may go back to what I was spending previously, but will be providing the healthiest food possible for my family.

I'm a bit surprised by people who find Paleo "too expensive" and the few who say that may not be keeping track of their spending and/or are not taking steps to save money such as getting to know local food producers and buying directly from them. There are many cost-saving strategies when money is an issue, and just doing the best one can with what they have is a win.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Yup, being sick is very expensive and so unnecessary. I keep track of all my expenses and a Paleo lifestyle is definitely less expensive when all factors are considered.