Introductions and Goals

Options
Hello everyone! I want to hear your stories...what led you to MFP and what force drives you to achieve your goals?

Me, I joined MFP in 2012 at 195 lbs. I lost 27 lbs and saw the lowest number I had seen on a scale in years...168 lbs! It was awesome; I felt great, I looked great and I could kick some serious butt. Alas, I decided I had learned plenty from my time on MFP and began tracking less and less. Needless to say, eating went back to bad habits and exercise declined.

I rejoined MFP about 3 months ago, back at 195 lbs and life was pretty hectic. I logged in only a handful of times in those months constantly saying that I would try to be better tomorrow. Tomorrow never seemed to come. Life has recently stabilized and I have a schedule I can work with now. I stepped on the scale, ready to stand in the spotlight of brutal honesty and saw that I weighed 202 lbs. I cried...actual tears down my face. That is the highest number I have ever seen on a scale. I knew my eating was out of control the past couple months but surely it hadn't been that bad! I needed to change and I needed to start. Now.

I have several motivations:

1) I am a ski instructor and while there are several instructors at my weight or heavier in our ski school, it's not ideal. I would rather be lean and ready for a full day on the slopes performing my best. The last time I underwent this journey, I had the best ski season ever. Took me only a day to get back into the swing of things. I tackled my first double black diamond trails and even rocked through some very technical tree trails.

2) My boyfriend is what I shall call the "Master of Torque". This is the guy who just recently upgraded his mountain bike to a very high performance, meant to be abused bike and already blasted a tire and something in the gearing. Steep, sandy, rocky, muddy, whatever trails are as easy for him as paved road for anyone else. I want to be able to be at least half as insane as he is on a bike.

3) I have wanted to backpack for years, especially ultralight. There's just something about hiking into the wilderness with nothing but the gear on your back for a weekend of adventuring that appeals to me. I know that right now, I am not at a fitness level where I would feel comfortable tackling such an adventure. But you best bet that I am aiming to have a weekend trip come the Fall.

4) I am going to come out and say that this reason is the nerdiest reason of all and I am unashamed to admit it. I love to cosplay. I also love Star Trek. You better believe I have been lusting after an Anovos TOS Sciences Dress for a couple years but between being overweight and trying to lose the weight, I could never rationalize the cost of buying one ($250) with my weight fluctuating up and down so much. With the reason, I am setting aside $5 for every pound lost. By the time I get to goal, I will be the size I want and I will have the funds to make the purchase. I cannot wait to rock that very short uniform like a boss.

Now it's your turn. Tell your tale and we will all listen and cheer :)

Replies

• Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    I'm 43 years old now and when I look in the mirror at my 258llb frame all I can think is, "Damn, that's not me. I don't want to be her."

I've always been heavier than is good for me. Growing up the whole family was big. I never learned moderation and exercise was certainly not important. On and off I've dieted but never really lost much weight. Mostly because I was doing it wrong. Too few calories and still not thinking exercise is important.

A cashier mentioned MFP to me a few weeks ago and I decided to use the tools they've so generously put out there for everyone to use. I want to loose 118 lbs. That still throws me for a loop. How did I get so big? So, I'm using this site, portion control, and my phones calendar is set up with all sorts of reminders about water, when to eat, and when to exercise. I feel I need constant reminders to keep on track. I only started a couple days ago but I'm feeling positive.

My goals really are about sustaining a healthier life style. I'm finding exercise, while it does give me some soreness, is taking away a lot of the aches and pains I get in my back and joints. Use it or loose it, right?
  • Bluemints1
    Bluemints1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lovely figure between 15 and 17 years old but at that point I didn't realise how pretty I was and I hated my body, since I turned 18 and left for university, I started putting weight on - fast. I've put on about 3 stone since going to university, and now, at 217lb and 21 years old, I've realised that I should be happy with how I look, and I should be going out with my friends and wearing gorgeous clothes, going on beaches in little bikinis.

So, with graduation approaching and a new job on the horizon, I though enough is enough, so I joined here and set myself a goal of losing 75lbs. I don't really have a date that I'd like to lose it by, but as long as I reach the weight I feel comfortable in, I'll be the happiest person in the world.

I started 3 days ago, and to be completely honest, with moving back in with my boyfriend's parents house, it's been a bit hectic. But I managed to stay under my calorie goal every day, and I've decided that I'm going to warm up my body with gentle exercises and gradually increase difficulty, so that I am not pushing myself too far too fast.

:) I'm feeling positive. This is it now.
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    I'm 25 and 205lbs. Over the last few years all I've done is ignore the amount of trash I was eating and get depressed at how big I was getting without ever bothering to do anything about it. Now I've developed an autoimmune illness, and one of the biggest aids for putting it into remission is to lose weight. So now is when I have to do something about it.

I've always been a little bit on the heavier side, I had a good figure though, and I was a boney skinny child, so where did it all go wrong? I suffered anxiety and depression for years, and I comfort ate. I would go a whole week sitting in bed, not going to lectures in college (which I ended up dropping out of), and I would just eat and eat and watch movies online all the time. Always envious of people with slimmer figures.

Well now it's different. Now I have sorted out my head, I have been through therapy and out the other side, and I have a new look on life. I know my triggers, I know when I'm going to have a bad day, and I can do things to stop it or slow it down.

My biggest motivators is looking back at the life i existed, I didn't live. I want to live, and go around the world, and be healthy. Now that I have my illness as a motivator, and my history as a motivator, there's nothing stopping me only me.

So no more excuses, no more "oh but it's raining" or "i'll do it later", or "i'll just have one slice, sure i didn't eat breakfast".

Now it's time to cop on, grow up, and as Nike would say, Just Do IT!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Nerds unite! I'm also a Trekker (TNG & DS9 primarily) and am very involved in fandoms, although I don't cosplay. (Never been one to dress up, even at Halloween.) One of the reasons I need to get this weight off is because I've been going to San Diego Comic Con every year since 2008, and every year I think, "Next time, I'll be at my goal weight", and every year I'm not, and every year I feel like a failure.

Here's my short story: I've struggled with my weight since I was 9 years old. In high school, I got it under control for a couple of years, then the stress of senior year and going to college brought the pounds back and then some. While I was in grad school and working full time, I managed to get it under control again.

Lost 60+ pounds, felt amazing, had tons of energy, ate healthy as a general rule - it was awesome! Kept that up for several years, then stress hit again and I started gaining it back. I switched jobs, 50lbs heavier than I'd been before, and managed to lose about 25lbs without really trying simply because my stress levels dropped immediately. Stress is my nemesis, obviously.

Then a combination of things - minor car wreck, old mattress, trip overseas with long flights, stress of starting another degree - came together and resulted in a sprained neck and two years of recovering from back/neck issues. This meant severely reduced activity levels; I spent weeks in bed, then could only manage a few very short walks during the day. Sought comfort in food. Finally was mostly healed from that and started getting active again.

Fell in love with Zumba, started watching my eating again, and dropped to a size 12. Work started getting stressful again, and I slipped back into non-active/bad eating habits. Got diagnosed with moderate-to-severe depression (surprise!), started therapy and was getting back on track when I got laid off. A few months after that, while moving furniture by myself (stupid), I fell and severely injured the right side of my body. Back in bed for a few weeks followed by seriously limited mobility. That was October 2012, and I still don't have full use of my right arm and have to be careful about over-working my right leg.

I've been a sporadic MFP user for several years, mostly being depressed by what I entered into my food diary, but unable to make long-term change. I'm addicted to fast food. Preparing my own meals is usually the lowest thing on my priority list. I work from home now, and the lack of structure has had an impact on my eating habits. Specifically, without a designated "lunch hour", I tend to keep working on things until I'm so hungry I can't see beyond "ingredients" in the 'fridge to actually make a meal. Even when I have a meal plan posted on the 'fridge, I look at it and think, "But I'm STARVING. I don't want to wait however it long it takes to make that, I need food NOW." Ridiculous because it usually takes at least the same amount of time to leave the house, driving to the burger joint, order the food, and drive home.

I have 12 nieces & nephews who I'm very close to and who look up to me. My eldest nieces (ages 15, 13, & 10 1/2) in particular are paying attention to how I live my life, what my priorities are, etc. I want them to see me being healthy and active, not unfit and sluggish.

I have lost 10lbs (as of today!) since February. I've been making it a priority to log my food & exercise into MFP daily (Saturdays tend to break my streak. Arg!), and I think that's helping even though I haven't made a concerted effort to diet. I know that I need support and accountability to be successful, but I don't have anyone in "real life" who I can count on for that. So glad I found this group!

Here we go!
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Your story is awesome StarsAreMyOcean!

I am currently 194.6 dropping from my highest of 210 lb.

For me weight has been a struggle all of my life. My whole family is overweight or obese and it's rather depressing and frustrating! I have always been overweight and new I had a real problem, but what shocked me in to submission was when I got on the scale and it said 210lb. My all time highest. I also found out that not only was I obese, but I was class II ! I was so shocked! Just a few years back I was at my all time lowests of 150 after an overseas trip I went on. I had lost 50lb on that trip. How could I of had all this weight on my 5'2 body!!!

Well, it was obvious how really. I didn't eat healthy or exercise just like the rest of my family. When I accomplished things in my life I rewarded myself with food, when I needed comfort I used food just like everyone else in my family. NOT ANYMORE! I am now going to save up and good on trips because I love travel! I am going to buy books and treat myself better.

I first joined MFP log ago but lost my account and never used it. Now I have made a new account and have been active for the past months. I have lost 15.4 lbs so far! Like you, I want to be able to do more and be more! I want to be healthy and out of the obese range!

I have always enjoyed walks, trails, and sightseeing. I walk daily now (at least a mile a day plus daily activity) and I eat better though I still have an addiction to fast food. I have found some good support from MFP, motivation from GymPact and MFP groups and I am going strong now! Can't wait to see what everyone else has to face too!

Motivations

* To be one of the few healthy people in my entire family!
    * To be active and enjoy life
    *To go on outdoor hikes and trails not feeling tired at the first step
    *To see more and be more
    * Buy more clothes at the store
    **** TO DO A MARATHON
    **** TO DO CHARITY WALKS AND RUNS
    **** TO BE A RUNNER
  • pt48painter
    Options
    Tried MFP last year, but fell out of habit. I remember when I was a kid and a healthy weight--never hungry---but grandma would say "you eat like a bird, eat more". Now I know watching people eat stuff she had prepared made her feel appreciated & feel like she was showing her love. (I have done the same thing!)

Moved away from family in my early 20's and got on a very healthy diet to combat a cancer scare....recovered & lost some weight & felt healthy again. Moved close to family again & was told to eat everything in moderation and was again pushed to eat junk food. Tried to counteract that when I had a kid...but again was continually having to justify a healthy (scientifically verified) diet to people who were/are addicted to soda, sugar, Hostess junk, etc. and 4 hours of tv a night.

Now reading the posts of other people here on MFP, I recognize the cycle that I have allowed myself to be forced into. Currently am on Day3 of logging & balancing food/exercise. Doc offered me diet pills but I want to try this a couple weeks first and judge the results based on my clothing rather than a scale. Thank you all for sharing your experience..
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've actively tried to lose weight. I've never been super thin, but I had a pretty decent figure when I was younger. The past three or four years have seen me gain quite a bit of weight, and I'm heavier now than I've ever been. I think the recent gain is likely a combination of poor habits, depression, stress, and aging. I'm 43 now, and I feel like when I hit my mid to late 30s, my metabolism came to a screeching halt. I'm quite short (5' 1") and I feel like every pound shows on such a small frame.

I was thinking this morning about how I don't want my immediate goal (losing 50 lbs) to be my ultimate goal. I want to use my progress toward my goal weight as a gauge for a greater goal I'm working for, which is to establish enduring, sustainable food and exercise habits. I'm really looking to reconnect with my body, and I hope to transform the way I think and live as well.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I really appreciated reading your stories. We have a great journey ahead of us and I am glad to share it with you.

I am 29, currently 215 lbs, and I have been obese my whole life. I started logging on MFP about 3 years ago and I lost 40. I reached my ultimate lowest of 173lbs : for the first time ever in my life, I was not in the obese category ! I learned a lot during this journey. I started running, a did some 5k and 10k, and even worked as a phys ed instructor. I felt so strong and really proud of myself - which is not easy for me. But I knew I hadn't completely dealt with my food addiction problems. Then o course, I had a very hectic summer in 2012, stopped logging and gained 20 pounds. Then a particularly busy school year started and I never gotten back to working out and logging again. Two years later and I gained everything back and more. It was really tough to get to accept that I let all my efforts go, that I have now a hard time running and that I basically ruined all the strengt that I used to have. But I know that my weight problems and my food addiction are the biggest challenges I need to face in my life (for now at least!) and I just need to deal with them, no matter how long it takes.

I am in a good place right now (no major stressors) and I am truly confident that I can design a life for myself where I will not only lose the weight, but be able to keep it off for good. I love food, eating out, cooking and baking, so don't expect a 100% clean diary! I also found that restricting too much what I eat lead to binges and that's just the worst. My ultimate goal is to get out of obesity, be athletic, feel confortable in my skin, healthy, and be able to control my eating by myself. My first weight goal is to get back to 173lbs but I do not want to obsess with a number : I want to keep the big picture of my whole health in mind.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello there.
    I am a mom who is currently hovering right around the 202-204 mark (and has been for three weeks or so). I haven't weighed this little since I was pregnant with my daughter - 4 and a half years ago. I have always been a big girl, except for the year I decided to starve myself. At the age of 16 I was down to 115 pounds which was perfectly healthy for my 5'2 height, but my attitude toward food was horrible. I would starve myself almost every day and I ate an all vegetarian diet full of carbs and crap. Since then I have been struggling with weight and my attitude toward food, and I am now trying to find a good, healthy place for me to be at. I will be turning 30 in October, and I would really love to be a much smaller me. I have 17 weeks, and I would love to lose at least 20 pounds before then, just so I can say that I am at my lowest weight in a decade on my 30th birthday.

I am going to attain this goal by continuing to eat healthful - though I do admit that I often sneak treats, a very unpleasant habit I need to get over - and hopefully by increasing my physical fitness and stamina. I also want to start lifting weights, but I'm nervous about it. Right now my primary exercise is hooping for fitness and walking with my daughter or husband.

I just want to be healthy, and hopefully get rid of my gallstone and other digestive troubles.

Ultimately, though it may take years, I plan on being somewhere around 130 - 150. I like curves and I want to keep them, but I also want to up my muscle so that I can stay strong for my daughter.
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm Shannon, 32-years-old from upstate New York. I've struggled with my weight since high school and have tried all sorts of crazy diets (once, while I was in the Army, I ate nothing but plain lettuce and a couple small strips of grilled chicken for every meal for a week. I dropped seven pounds, but of course I gained it all back and then some!). The last significant weight loss I had was in 2009, when I went from 212 to 178. That was on Atkin's. Came off the diet, gained it all back with interest.

My friend Saige introduced me to MFP after she successfully used it to lose over fifty pounds. So I started MFP and started to lose weight again. But didn't really commit, cheated a lot, and eventually stopped tracking.

Flash forward to 2013, when I found myself at an all-time high of 236. "Enough!" I told myself. "This is beyond ridiculous." It was affecting every aspect of my life, from work to relationships to, of course, health.

From January 2013 until April 2013 I tracked religiously, and I went from 236 to 210. Then life happened (ended a relationship, lost my uncle, started a new relationship, got demoted at work, moved, got engaged, lost my grandfather, moved again) and I crept back up to 215.

Which brings us to May 2014. I've gone from 215 to my current 198, and I'm not stopping until I get to 145!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 5'2 and 27 years old. I started this journey at 175 and amongst a new job and other issues rose to my heaviest of 198! I can't believe I let things get so out of control. I adopted an UN healthy insane relationship with everything food and let it cconsume me. Mentally I have a lot of work to do.... Eating my feelings has ruined me long enough and I am determined to be the best version of my self possible. I want to feel active, sexy, and beautiful again.
  • Budding_Flower
    Budding_Flower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am a 21-year-old college student and I live in Northeast Tennessee. I started my journey to lose weight in January of 2013. It was more for my appearance than anything else. When I started I was 206 lb and by June of the same year I had gotten down to 169 lb. I remember saying, "Wow, this is a lot easier than I thought it was." The truth is, I was just going through some easy times. I became too confident and stopped logging my food on this site. Before I knew it I was going through some really stressful times and I stopped caring about what I ate and if I exercised. I gained until I was back at 189 lb. After an on-and-off diet I am at 183.4 lb today. I'm doing this for different reasons today. I want more than to be skinny and wear a certain size of clothing. I want to be able to DO things I never thought possible. I want to hike, run 5Ks, and take aerial silk classes. I really want to be able to keep up with my active boyfriend. At 5'2" I have somewhere between 50 to 60 lb to lose and I'm not going to give up this time. :)
  • HooahLydia
    HooahLydia Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey all! Feel free to add me!

On with my story: In 2011, I got married pretty young. My husband left for Basic training and during that summer I was very very active. We then moved to Monterey, CA. And I got pregnant in no time. It was a very very tough time for us. Long story short, I lost my daughters twin, and then they thought for a long time that my daughter may have dwarfism. Thankfully in August of 2012, I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. I lost the 20 pounds I gained relatively quickly. PPD is no joke /: And then gained it back when my husband had 7 month long training and I moved back home.

During that time he didn't get to see our daughter sit up by herself, stand, walk, missed her first birthday, etc. And I gained quite a bit in that time because I was pretty depressed. We then moved here to Washington, and yet again, being away from family really takes its toll.

However, ever since being here, we have chosen a healthier lifestyle. I got a stationary bike. I do Zumba. And we eat pretty healthy, unless it's our "cheat" day, or I have no energy.

My husband goes to the gym 3 times a week, and plays hockey 2 times a week. He's obviously within his healthy weight since it's in his job that he has to be. Lol. But, he's a great motivator and has really been right by my side this whole time.

I'm 5'4" and above 200 pounds. That's not healthy at all. In the end, I hope to lose 70.

My main supporters are my husband and my beautiful daughter. I want to live as long as possible for them. I want my daughter to grow up to be as healthy as possible, and have a great role model. I want to join my husband in the sports he plays. I want to jog miles and not almost die. I want to have a higher self-esteem and be able to wear a bikini for the first time in my life. I'm still young (20) and have my WHOLE life ahead of me. SO why not be as healthy as possible?

It's been a long journey for me, and it's going to take time. But slow and steady wins the race. I've tried pills, wraps, etc and it all never worked and I just gained it back. This time I'm determined to do it on my own.

I don't mind how slow or fast I lose, if anything, I want to be tone. I want a flat tummy, tone legs and arms, and a nice butt. Lol. The number on the scale is bad, but it isn't going to defeat me this time.

Excited to see how everyone on here does. Like I said, feel free to add me, and we can share our journeys!
  • rachelvillalobos39
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Rachel. I've always ate a lot while living a sedentary lifestyle. Binge eating is a regular thing with me, day to day really. I am trying to lose weight. Ive lost 15lbs the first week and a half of my dieting. Not sure if that is too fast or not. I probably have a lot of water weight. When I started dieting i weighed 238 lbs. My goal weight is 130. I am nowhere close. Luckily i did get below the 100lb mark. (how much i need to lose. I need to lose 95 lbs still). It is hard trying not to binge all the time. I haven't been below my calorie limit yet, but im still losing weight. I'm not sure how many calories i actually need. I started out anorexic my first year of high school. I enjoyed the control, but after being forced to eat and seeing the consequences i made a 360 and just binged all the time. Im not sure how the transition happened or how long it took for my perspective to change that much. But the binge eating seems impossible to overcome. I got so bad that i would literally hide somewhere and eat an extra plate after dinner. I would eat out and be hungry again by the time i got home. I gained and gained. Its going to be hard for me to change my lifestyle. The lifestyle I am ashamed of. However, Im going to try to change the way i eat. I am 5' 4" and 225 lbs at this moment. I want to be able to go for long walks; exercise for a normal amount of time; and look at food in a completely different way.
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Christina. I was always very small and wore a size zero well into adulthood. After I had my son, I began to pack on pounds and I have had a very difficult time getting it off. A doctor told me once that I don't process food properly and it would be very hard to lose weight. I listened to what he said and decided not to try anymore. Finally I found MFP and I lost 25 lbs. I realized I can lose the weight but I allowed myself to be discouraged by a lengthy plateau and I stopped working at it again. Now I am back and I am really wanting to get healthier. I love hiking but it is exhausting. I really want to be happy with what I see in the mirror! I am happy to meet everyone! I am wanting to lose 49 lbs to get me back to 135. I am bad about binge eating and that Is something I am really working on!
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Feel free to add me!

On with my story: In 2011, I got married pretty young. My husband left for Basic training and during that summer I was very very active. We then moved to Monterey, CA.

Defense Language Institute? =) I was there a decade ago--really miss Monterey!
  • MommytoBen
    MommytoBen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! New to the "Community" section of MFP. I've been on the website before, but now I am finally buckling down and taking it seriously.

I am a new mommy and while I LOVE my baby boy- I do not love my new figure. I gained a lot of weight while I was pregnant and now I am giving myself a year to take off all the baby weight (plus a little extra that I had before pregnancy).

I have a desk job, but am a big fan of exercise. I exercise for a minimum of 40 minutes everyday- but my major issue is snacking. I love snacks and I always try to avoid eating snacks, but.....

So here I am, I have 53 pounds still to lose and looking forward to all the group discussions and posts!