Damn you, Jainarayan, for your tuna strawberry earwig!

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
I've been reading The Calorie Myth. It's an awesome book, though it's protein-heavy (100g-200g protein recommendation for basically everyone) and really, really veggie heavy (10+ servings recommended). This is all well and good except for someone like me who thrives on more fat, but whatever.

Anywho, he also recommends green smoothies, sweetened only with berries (the basic recipe using strawberries) in order to help reach the 10-a-day goal. Okay, no problem. He also makes pretty heavy use of protein powder, particularly in the smoothies. Well, I'd like to not have to rely on protein powders on a daily basis, so I was brainstorming ideas to put into the smoothies.

Anyone who's read this thread -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1329982-for-the-love-of-butter-coffee-and-bacon -- probably knows where I'm going with this.

So, I'm brainstorming ideas for protein sources that could go into it, and what do I think of? Tuna. :noway: :laugh:

So yes, thank you, Jainarayan, for that wonderful idea... *shakes fist*

On a side note, any ideas for a more whole-foods protein source that I could add to green smoothies in the morning? I've thought about eggs, which I might do, but could use some other ideas and recommendations if anyone has any.

Replies

• rasawyer77
    rasawyer77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No way I would put tuna in a smoothie. Blech. Eggs could work, but I would probably go with almond butter/raw almonds or full fat greek yogurt if you can handle dairy. Spirulina maybe, but the taste is pretty powerful.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I second almond butter or greek yogurt. Definitely not tuna :)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Oh god tuna in a smoothie?! Yogurt or maybe cottage cheese? I am getting really high quality farm eggs in my CSA and one of these days I'm going to bring up the courage to put a raw one in my smoothie...I just can't get over the possibility of salmonella (I likely spelled that totally wrong). However I know that pasture raised eggs usually do not have this problem. Maybe when I get back from my trip this weekend.
    I do occasionally use hemp protein powder. It is literally just ground up hemp seeds, nothing else added. I kind of like the gritty texture in a smoothie.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Oh god tuna in a smoothie?! Yogurt or maybe cottage cheese? I am getting really high quality farm eggs in my CSA and one of these days I'm going to bring up the courage to put a raw one in my smoothie...I just can't get over the possibility of salmonella (I likely spelled that totally wrong). However I know that pasture raised eggs usually do not have this problem. Maybe when I get back from my trip this weekend.
    I do occasionally use hemp protein powder. It is literally just ground up hemp seeds, nothing else added. I kind of like the gritty texture in a smoothie.

Fun fact: you're actually more likely to get salmonella from the greens you put in than from the eggs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I ate raw eggs quite often in Japan. When in Rome....

Of course they only time in my seven months in Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, HK, Japan) when I had gastro intestinal issues was in Japan. And I ate from street vendors and the night markets in Thailand.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ahahahahahahaha :laugh: