Saying Hi

Options
itsgottago
itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
Hi,

I'm new to the group and thought I would introduce myself.

I've tried yoga on and off for years but never stuck with it long enough to appreciate it or get anywhere. This time I promised myself I'd practice nearly every day even if it was 10 mins and I did. After a little more than a month I feel amazing. There has been no big weight loss and I'm still pretty stiff but I feel terrific. Instead of dreading my next work out I can't wait! I normally practice in the AM and sometimes I'll practice again in the afternoon or evening....just because I feel so good. I'm doing all beginner work and I mean really beginner stuff. I do lots of modifications since these old muscles need some time to find their ease.

I understand why people say it runs over into other area's of your life...it does and I'm grateful for it.

My food choices are better, my mood is calmer and I embrace all these new sensations in my body. I feel like I've found the magic pill dieters are always looking for. I know I'll lose weight but not because I'm getting the aerobic work out of a life time but because when it's 10pm and I don't want to eat but those cookies are calling me....my pm yoga works.

I feel better about my body and myself. My only regret is not sticking with it years ago. I'm not sure how much flexibility I can gain but I'll take it slow and enjoy the journey. I'm so happy to have found this group...

Have a great day~
Mona

Replies

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Mona, I replied on another post to you x Nice to see you here :)
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to the group and thought I would introduce myself.

I've tried yoga on and off for years but never stuck with it long enough to appreciate it or get anywhere. This time I promised myself I'd practice nearly every day even if it was 10 mins and I did. After a little more than a month I feel amazing. There has been no big weight loss and I'm still pretty stiff but I feel terrific. Instead of dreading my next work out I can't wait! I normally practice in the AM and sometimes I'll practice again in the afternoon or evening....just because I feel so good. I'm doing all beginner work and I mean really beginner stuff. I do lots of modifications since these old muscles need some time to find their ease.

I understand why people say it runs over into other area's of your life...it does and I'm grateful for it.

My food choices are better, my mood is calmer and I embrace all these new sensations in my body. I feel like I've found the magic pill dieters are always looking for. I know I'll lose weight but not because I'm getting the aerobic work out of a life time but because when it's 10pm and I don't want to eat but those cookies are calling me....my pm yoga works.

I feel better about my body and myself. My only regret is not sticking with it years ago. I'm not sure how much flexibility I can gain but I'll take it slow and enjoy the journey. I'm so happy to have found this group...

Have a great day~
    Mona

I'm happy for you Mona! Welcome to the group. :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Well done Mona. Welcome!
  • itsgottago
    Options
  • thistorysofar
    thistorysofar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Mona!
    I'm new to the group as well, and just started doing hot yoga a month ago. I'm right there with you. I've also been noticing I'm not eating as much (or drinking my beloved beer). I stop eating when I feel satisfied and usually don't snack later on. Have you also noticed you're more aware of your surroundings? This morning on my way to work I noticed a huge hanging plant on a very busy street that was very pretty. Weird how yoga makes you more conscious of your surroundings. By the way, hello everybody! I'm Kate.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi Mona,

Great to hear your story! Where do you get your beginner work outs ? I was also thinking about doing some yoga in the evenings too and I like your idea of doing yoga instead of giving into a craving!
  • itsgottago
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have a DVD called Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss By Suzanne Deason (Gaiam) that had modifications for all levels that I like a lot. I also am a huge fan of Yoga by Adriene on You Tube. She has 2 beginner work outs, a 20 min and a 40 min session. I like them both.

I have a AM/PM dvd each work out is 20 mins and lately I've been waking up kind of stiff (or sore) and it's been doing the trick.

I read a quote (I don't recall by who) that said walk as if your feet are kissing the earth...and boy does that resonate with me. I was feeling so grounded these days.

Today hasn't been a great day. Yesterday, I went to a pool party and even though I thought I did well with the food I did have a few lite beers. I've spent most of the day feel bloated and out of sorts. I got in my 20 min AM session in but I had lots of tension today and no time to get back on the mat.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So I found this group last week, and now just want to say hello as well.

I have only been practicing yoga for 2 months now, and sadly oney once a week. But I am trying to find more classes. I love it, I just wish I'd have found it when I was younger.
  • Sivangj
    Sivangj Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I found this group today. and like the others just want to say hello.

Are just learning to use yoga ever day. Have been a little on and off before.
    The last month I have been able to do 20 min to 60 min at least 5 times a week. Plan to get it up to ever day.
    Tomorrow I joining my first class, going to be interresting. Til now I have used youtube and aps on my cell phone
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members! I love seeing yoga having a positive effect on people :flowerforyou:
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Found this group today too. Hi All! Lost 24 lbs so far just balancing food intake and doing yoga(Although I also like to swim as well.)
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Mona! Imfeel the same waynthat you do about yoga! I have done Hatha yoga on and off for years. I feel that it makes me feel better physically amd emotionally--i feel more at peace. I recently joined a gym and the trainer suggested that Imincorporate yoga (on non-gym days) into my exercise program. I am looking forward to it! Namaste.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!