Week 5 pf program

Options
DamieAnne
DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
Hi guys..

I'm on week 5 at the moment and just completed the second run (two sets of 8 minutes) - I'm pretty proud of myself as I've come a long way!

However seeing that the 3rd run of the week is a straight 20 minutes is pretty terrifying. I've been going slow so pace isn't an issue - was just wondering if people who've got through this found the jump difficult?

Ta :)

Replies

• emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did W5D3 last week and I was very nervous as well. I slowed my pace a good bit from the previous weeks just because I was unsure how I would feel and if I could make it through the 20 minutes. I know it seems like a big jump, but you can do it!
  • DamieAnne
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I think I will need to slow down a bit, even though I'm slow already - I just want to be able to get through all of it!
  • rednpnk
    rednpnk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did day 3 today. I didn't think I could, but I gave it a try anyway. And you know what, I did it!!! I put on my music and just went at it. Varied my pace throughout, and just going. Whenever I wanted to walk, I would tell myself to keep going. And before I knew it, it was over. And I never once walked. You can do it. If not this time, next time. Just try it. Good luck to you
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just did w5d2 today too, and the 8 minutes were tough. I'm also really nervous about doing 20 minutes straight. I remember a couple weeks ago I didn't think I'd be able to make the jump from 3 minutes to 5, and I did it, hopefully I can do this too. I think it will be a bigger mental victory than physical to get through it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 is terrifying. But you are ready for it.
    This day is a mental challenge between yourself & your head and your body. Both will fight you but you can do this. Both will tell you to quit but show them what you've got.
    I found it useful to listen hard (very hard) to music. If on a treadmill, don't look at the display (cover it up, if necessary). If running outside, go a new route so you have no defined markers. If tired, slow down but don't stop.

W5D3 is meant to be a mental challenge. You're ready. Just go out there and do this.

You can do this.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I did day 3 today. I didn't think I could, but I gave it a try anyway. And you know what, I did it!!! I put on my music and just went at it. Varied my pace throughout, and just going. Whenever I wanted to walk, I would tell myself to keep going. And before I knew it, it was over. And I never once walked. You can do it. If not this time, next time. Just try it. Good luck to you

Congratulations! This is a real accomplishment. You did it!!!!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Hi, I did W5D3 last week and I was very nervous as well. I slowed my pace a good bit from the previous weeks just because I was unsure how I would feel and if I could make it through the 20 minutes. I know it seems like a big jump, but you can do it!

Congratulations on this accomplishment! It really is a milestone. Well done!
  • DamieAnne
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys - i just did the 20 minutes without stopping!

Pretty proud of myself right now :)
  • Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Great job!! In fact W5D3 is a mind game. W6D1 was way more difficult for me.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was glad to see this thread :) I just started Week 5 yesterday. I t was nice and cool here for a change and I felt I had a great run. My 5 minute runs went by quickly and I felt as though I could have pushed through longer, during my second walk break, I felt like dancing. Not sure if it was just the music or what happened. (this is rare for me while out running) LOL Then after the program ended I was still a ways from home so I thought what the heck, I'll try to run the rest. Well low and behold it was 11 minutes to get to my driveway, I pushed through and almost ran past my driveway, just to be sure I got a good 5k in, but my times went off right at the corner of the driveway :) I finished with a VERY proud feeling. I think it will be interesting to do the next 2 days to see if I feel the same way or not or if it was just one really good day out of many struggling days previously. It also helped that I slowed my pace down. People kept telling me that but I am hard headed I guess. I always felt like I already was running slow enough, but low and behold, what they all say is true!! Go Slower!! :)
  • DamieAnne
    Options
    I was glad to see this thread :) I just started Week 5 yesterday. I t was nice and cool here for a change and I felt I had a great run. My 5 minute runs went by quickly and I felt as though I could have pushed through longer, during my second walk break, I felt like dancing. Not sure if it was just the music or what happened. (this is rare for me while out running) LOL Then after the program ended I was still a ways from home so I thought what the heck, I'll try to run the rest. Well low and behold it was 11 minutes to get to my driveway, I pushed through and almost ran past my driveway, just to be sure I got a good 5k in, but my times went off right at the corner of the driveway :) I finished with a VERY proud feeling. I think it will be interesting to do the next 2 days to see if I feel the same way or not or if it was just one really good day out of many struggling days previously. It also helped that I slowed my pace down. People kept telling me that but I am hard headed I guess. I always felt like I already was running slow enough, but low and behold, what they all say is true!! Go Slower!! :)

Wow way to go :D I don't think i'd be able to do that after the W5D1 podcast but for me, i find it really hard to do the walk interval and then have to start running again!

Try not to do too much at once though! Don't want any injuries...or to make the rest of us look bad :P
  • PaytraB
    Options

You should be! This is a milestone! Congratulations!
  • PaytraB
    Options

I love runs like this. You feel as if you're flying along.

I hope the rest of your week is as good.

Yes....slowing down is the key. It's a hard one to believe in at first but once tried, it's a winner.

ETA: remember this run on the days when you have one of "those" runs where nothing goes right. The bad runs will happen. They always do. You can't run your usual time or distance, you're huffing & puffing, everything hurts, you may even give up and go home. These runs are rare (thank goodness) but they happen and will always happen. They are very discouraging.
    Remember this run when one of those runs happens. Those runs are usually followed by one of these runs so don't let the discouragement get you down. Keep running.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options

I love runs like this. You feel as if you're flying along.

I hope the rest of your week is as good.

Yes....slowing down is the key. It's a hard one to believe in at first but once tried, it's a winner.

ETA: remember this run on the days when you have one of "those" runs where nothing goes right. The bad runs will happen. They always do. You can't run your usual time or distance, you're huffing & puffing, everything hurts, you may even give up and go home. These runs are rare (thank goodness) but they happen and will always happen. They are very discouraging.
    Remember this run when one of those runs happens. Those runs are usually followed by one of these runs so don't let the discouragement get you down. Keep running.

Good point!! I will definitely try to remember that! Did Week 5 Day 2 today, it went pretty well also :) The real test will be day 3 when it's the 20 minute run. Keeping my fingers crossed for sure!!! :happy:
  • MegRenee059
    MegRenee059 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 was my nightmare run. I was doing great progressing to longer periods over each day, and I figured I could do this no problem... I've been slowing down and that helps tremendously. So I start Day 3 and am going along just fine until minute 13 and my body gave up... I'm a migraine sufferer and this one kicked in fast. I was still about a mile from my house so I had to drag my butt walking (barely) while I could barely see because of the migraine... Not sure what I did wrong, but I did some searching and some say it happens when you push yourself too much too soon. So I can't say I agree with the program's jump from 10 minutes to 20 minutes out of nowhere for still-beginning runners, but kudos to those of you that did it, seriously. I decided to just go on my own training path after that- working up the length of time running gradually. That seems to work for me and I feel great doing it.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 was my nightmare run. I was doing great progressing to longer periods over each day, and I figured I could do this no problem... I've been slowing down and that helps tremendously. So I start Day 3 and am going along just fine until minute 13 and my body gave up... I'm a migraine sufferer and this one kicked in fast. I was still about a mile from my house so I had to drag my butt walking (barely) while I could barely see because of the migraine... Not sure what I did wrong, but I did some searching and some say it happens when you push yourself too much too soon. So I can't say I agree with the program's jump from 10 minutes to 20 minutes out of nowhere for still-beginning runners, but kudos to those of you that did it, seriously. I decided to just go on my own training path after that- working up the length of time running gradually. That seems to work for me and I feel great doing it.

Ouch, sorry that happened o you. I know if you are not hydrated properly it can cause light headedness and blurred vision etc. maybe that aided in the cause of the migraine? Otherwise, this is the first I've ever heard of that happening. Hope you figure out a good pace for you and congrats for making it this far!!