on slow release t3 and can't lose weight despite dieting

I've searched the internet and simply can't find the answer to this question. I'm hoping you can help.

I have a conversion problem and was switched from t4/t3 combo to130 mcg slow-release t3 several years ago. My t3 is kept in the upper range and I have little if any Reverse t3. My adrenals are healthy and I experience no hyper symptoms or low adrenal symptoms...

I'm a chronic under-eater--have been for years (it's more to do with lack of appetite), and tried to get into shape last year. i reduced calories (was maintaining at 1500) and found that i couldn't lose weight until I reduced to 700 calories.

I understand that the advice for hypos is that they need to eat enough to lose weight and that I may even need to repair my metabolism and eat at maintenance for a while before reducing to a healthier level like 1500.

My question is: Since I have an artificial metabolism with T3 and cannot make Reverse T3, how is it possible that my metabolism is suppressed? What happens to the T3 during underrating, when your body doesn't have Reverse t3 to slow down metabolism? How will eating more help things? I would like to lose 10-15 lbs....

Hope that made sense..

Thank you!

Replies

• walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    I am Hypo and taking Armour. I could not lose any weight. My doctor suggesting not only walking but to add strength training to increase my metabolism. I have to also stay around 1200 calories and feel better if I stay away from sugar. Have you visited Stop the Thyroid Madness site yet? Sorry I don't have your answers. Good luck to you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    To lose 10–15 lbs., set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The only effect Synthroid (T4) & Cytomel (T3) have on my weight is that they relieve the fatigue so I can be more active. I kept gaining until I learned to log accurately & honestly.