Two Questions - Lymphedema & Heart Burn

Options
claresta23
claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
1.Did any VSGers experience heart burn during the PRE-OP diet?

2. Did any of you have lymphedema in your legs prior to the VSG, and if so, how has the weight loss affected your lymphedema?

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This is the blog of a woman who had gastric bypass and pre-existing lymphedema:

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/lymphedemaawareness.html
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about the lymphedema, but I do deal with hearburn- before and after VSG. I am currenlty nearly 3 years out and I have to take prescription strength PPI's twice a day to keep it under control. It kinda sucks, but I would still take my sleeve any day! Did you have a specific question about it?
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about the lymphedema, but I do deal with hearburn- before and after VSG. I am currenlty nearly 3 years out and I have to take prescription strength PPI's twice a day to keep it under control. It kinda sucks, but I would still take my sleeve any day! Did you have a specific question about it?

I am the exact same. I need to take PPI's twice a day. I was off of them for almost a year after the year and then all of a sudden heartburn started acting up again. It is no biggie compared to all the other complications I have gotten rid of. :bigsmile:

Also, I have venous insufficiency. The valves don't close properly in my legs. Been morbidly obese for so many years. They have improved drastically. The still swell with the hot weather or to much sodium, but are not painful any longer. :smile: Thank goodness.

Good luck with both problems.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My acid reflux (heartburn) did not go away with the surgery. We tried taking me off my daily meds, but it was a no go.

Lymphedema. I was in the pre stages of this, so much more in the left leg that my left leg was markedly bigger than my right. I am no longer anywhere close to having this at 3 years out. And my left leg is almost the same size as my right. I do still retain water very easily, so I still have to really watch my sodium intake, but my doctor says this is because some people are hyper sensitive to sodium, and I am one of them. You will find that the weight loss will help temendously with your lymphedema as will the walking we are all encouraged to do from the time we wake up from surgery. Even now, after sitting at a desk at work all day, a 20 minute walk will work all that liquid out and my legs/ankles will go right back down to normal.

Good luck! Pat