Mouth ulcers/canker sores being vegan?

Options
xteenastyle
xteenastyle Posts: 13 Member
Recently I started the raw till 4 and a week ago, a huge mouth ulcer appeared on the inside of my lower lip. It is SO painful especially when I eat bananas (which sucks because I eat like 10 bananas during the day, and 5 after dinner...) Apples and carrots are not painful, as well as most other foods as well!! I can easily eat rice and pasta without the 'burning' sensation.

Why have I gotten this? It is really hard for me to eat because it is so incredibly painful and it's always bothering me.
I've read a ton of different opinions, like some say that mouth ulcers are triggered if you are low on b12? Is it essential to be getting b12 vitamins or b12 shots being vegan? I eat my daily dose of vitamins which says it includes b12 as well so I don't think that could be it...
Help please! :)

Replies

• danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have you posted this problem along with your food diary on the Raw Till 4 page?

It takes much longer than one week to become deficient in something. So it sounds more like a few other possibilities. Un-ripe fruit, improper food combining, food allergy or detox. I noticed skin problems when I first went raw as part of the detox. They were not fun but didn't last long.

It's not essential to take B12 if being vegan or vegetarian. Many meat eaters are deficient as well. I know quite a few long term raw vegans who have never supplemented with B12 and their levels are perfect. If this is a concern you can get blood work done to determine if you need supplementation. The symptoms of B12 deficiency are like many other deficiencies so there's really no way to tell just by symptoms alone.
  • MozzaWehsha
    MozzaWehsha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking with your doctor. This doesn't necessarily have something to do with what you are eating.

If your body is having a reaction to your diet shift, increase your water intake until you visit your doctor.
  • MuddyJeans88
    Options
    I got this EXACT problem but on the roof of my mouth. I've read about it, and apparently some people are sensitive to certain acids or something called bromelaid (not sure on the spelling) in certain fruits. For me, it's just peaches and cherries and sometimes other stone fruits (the ones with pits). Other people commonly get it from pineapples, or other citrus fruits. I'd bet money that's your issue! If you eat meals with just a single fruit at a time, that might be a way to narrow down which ones are doing it. Sometimes it's even fruits that you wouldn't expect, I know a couple people on my plant based Facebook group that get it from bananas!
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to get mouth sores too before I learned about proper food combining so that might be it. Don't eat fruit after a cooked dinner lol like ever. Look up FreeLee the banana girl's YouTube video on food combining. And try to make sure your fruit is super ripe when you eat it. Like brown bananas, dark yellow/ orange pineapples, etc
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with painful mouth ulcers for years now, and most of them happened in my vegetarian years before I supplemented. Now, I take about twice the rda, and I haven't had an issue in a while. I would still check with your doctor, but the supplements can't hurt.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster that said detox or food allergy. A week into a raw diet is when detox really kicks into overdrive. Is it only when you physically eat bananas, or when they are in smoothies as well?
  • kryss247
    kryss247 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Could be your body detoxing. We all have different symptoms :) stay healthy!