What are your routines?

Options
I am really new to strength training and from the little I have done, I really love it. I was wondering what your routines are for strength training and maybe if you have any tips for a beginner?

Replies

• kr15t3n98
    kr15t3n98 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i do machines for hip adductions and abductions, seated leg press, chest press, row/deltoids, tricep pull down, as well as use free weights and a body bar for bicep curls (etc). i am a beginner too. for all the leg things i do 3 sets with 15 reps, starting at a weight that is only slightly challenging, and adding more weight for each set. for things involving my arms, i usually do 2 sets of 15 but try to do 3 if i can (im finding arms more challenging right now), again, starting lower and trying to go higher for the next set.
  • changsofa
    changsofa Posts: 37
    Options
    Aside from my own warm-up, I follow the StrongLifts 5x5 program. It's pretty awesome, and MFP has a group for it too! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Castiel22
    Castiel22 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have been looking into stronglifts 5x5 and I am going to try it today. I am really nervous because I workout alone and I am not to familiar with the equipment. I did watch some videos. Is there any tips you might be able to give a beginner? And I am a member for the stronglifts group :) that you both for all the help
  • kr15t3n98
    kr15t3n98 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it might make you feel more comfortable if a friend who is fit or a personal trainer, or even an employee at your gym shows you how the machines work first. usually the machines will have some directions but it does make it less intimidating to have someone with you when you try something new.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend a strength and conditioning coach enough- try and make sure they are UKSCA level 3 qualified or US equivalent (nasca?)
    They'll to a functional movement assessment and write you a program based on your needs! I've been doing it for 2 years now and I work so much harder with a coach - and she gets me to do lifts/movements I'd have never thought about!
  • DStroyNKonker
    DStroyNKonker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with working with someone who can show you how to use machines and how to use proper form when learning new lifts with bar/dumbbells. (example, knees should never pass your toes when doing squats). The exercise will be more efficient if it's done properly and you won't hurt yourself.
    I like to work in a circuit. The gym I attend is pretty quiet so I'll set up stations around the squat bar. Squats/deadlifts/bench press/curls/barbell exercise. Definitely makes it more interesting too:)