Nutrition Philosophy

Options
alannadela
alannadela Posts: 5 Member
I thought we could have discussion about our personal nutrition philosophies!

Are you a clean eater? Do you follow iifym? Paleo? Keto? Are you just trying to work on hitting your caloric goal and don't really have a direction otherwise?

Personally, I think my philosophy leans closer to iifym (if it fits your macros...even though my macros don't normally get hit perfectly every day). I try not to eat in way that says, "none of this, none of this and definitely none of that". I tried hardcore restriction and it just made me feel obsessive, and I felt ashamed of myself if I ate something I really loved So, now I just kind of try to work things in.

Obviously eating micro nutrient dense food is important. Getting plenty of fiber, calcium, etc is important- and frankly if you're hitting your macros you're probably getting all that kind of good stuff too! Anyway, those are MY thoughts.

So, how do you ladies feel about your personal nutrition?

Replies

• changsofa
    changsofa Posts: 37
    Options
    Interesting!

My principles is that I'll eat anything I want as long as it's within my weekly caloric goal. That usually leads to adjusting my food plans, especially if I decide that I want to eat some brownies or steak some nights. It also means that my snack/treat portions are small, unless I plan in advance (i.e., spontaneous ice cream? just one bite. Plan to eat half pint of ice cream? Only after an salad and soup day.)

I've been thinking about shifting my focus to macro tracking. So far my carb-protein-fat split from my daily log shows an average of 50%, 25%, 25%. Ideally I want it to be 25%, 50%, 25% or so. I don't have any particular reason I picked those percentages though... Maybe someone has a good resource to share?

Thanks!
  • jpdanh
    jpdanh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I eat whatever fits my calorie budget. I do lean toward getting more protein whenever I can (though I don't always hit my protein goals), but I'm not strict. I had an eating disorder in my teens and so I know going to extremes is very dangerous for me mentally - I let myself eat what I want within reason.

This past weekend I had lots of sour gummy worms...they made up for the disappointing quarterfinal matches.
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i would describe my eating as loosely iifym... i do always try my best to hit my protein goal, but worry a bit less about the other two. i am really truly awful about not wanting to enforce my diet on other people, and tend to just go along with whatever anyone else wants and do the best i can in that context. i'm much, much stricter when i'm eating on my own.
  • uponaworld
    uponaworld Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm paleo because I can't eat dairy and legumes make me hurt. Although i have never had a problem with it, I've also cut out grains (because paleo) and because those are the things I eat when I want to snack on something. It sounds restrictive, but the best thing the other day was when I wanted to have a "cheat" meal, and it was super good, within the restrictions, and only slightly over my calorie limit.

I try to have a plate that's more vegetables than meat. If I snack, I snack on berries and carrots. I'm only super restrictive in what I buy for groceries because it makes it easier to follow the plan. If we go out to eat, I'll be much less restrictive. My boyfriend is trying to cut right now, and he's on whatever diet I'm on since I do the shopping and cooking, so we're trying to stay in super clean eating mode :)
  • alannadela
    Options
    I'm paleo because I can't eat dairy and legumes make me hurt. Although i have never had a problem with it, I've also cut out grains (because paleo) and because those are the things I eat when I want to snack on something. It sounds restrictive, but the best thing the other day was when I wanted to have a "cheat" meal, and it was super good, within the restrictions, and only slightly over my calorie limit.

I try to have a plate that's more vegetables than meat. If I snack, I snack on berries and carrots. I'm only super restrictive in what I buy for groceries because it makes it easier to follow the plan. If we go out to eat, I'll be much less restrictive. My boyfriend is trying to cut right now, and he's on whatever diet I'm on since I do the shopping and cooking, so we're trying to stay in super clean eating mode :)

I don't eat a lot of grains either, myself. Foods like bread and biscuits just happen to be very dense calorie-wise. Sorry legumes and dairy make you sick. :c Those are foods I really love, so paleo doesn't work for me. I'm glad it works really well for you! Paleo seems to be a well-loved style of nutrition.

Good thing your boyfriend is cutting too! It's so hard when someone buys a pizza and you're trying to eat less!
  • alannadela
    Options
    Interesting!

My principles is that I'll eat anything I want as long as it's within my weekly caloric goal. That usually leads to adjusting my food plans, especially if I decide that I want to eat some brownies or steak some nights. It also means that my snack/treat portions are small, unless I plan in advance (i.e., spontaneous ice cream? just one bite. Plan to eat half pint of ice cream? Only after an salad and soup day.)

I've been thinking about shifting my focus to macro tracking. So far my carb-protein-fat split from my daily log shows an average of 50%, 25%, 25%. Ideally I want it to be 25%, 50%, 25% or so. I don't have any particular reason I picked those percentages though... Maybe someone has a good resource to share?

Thanks!

I currently have my macros set to carbs 40%, protein 40% and fat 20%. I always go over on fats though- either from oil, or avocado, or almonds or whatever else. So maybe a slightly higher fat goal would work better for me. I always crack up when I see that I've simultaneously gone over on fat and fiber.
  • Charli_H
    Charli_H Posts: 6
    Options
    I totally agree with this.

I used to be just a "calorie goal" lady, and sometimes I am still (when I'm visiting family, I don't pay attention much to macros) but now I watch my macros and try to do the "standard" 50/30/20. It's been working out fairly out well, I feel much fuller and the scale has been reading lighter. So yay!
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We don't follow any strict plan or rules, just a few basic guidelines such as not too many grains or carbs, try not to eat too late at night, and eat as much local organic foods as we can. Everything in moderation. We eat a lot of vegetables, and most of our snack foods I make myself so we can have guilt-free treats. We're pretty much 80/20, 80 being healthy and homemade and the 20 being the occasional pizza or Steak & Shake splurge.

The only strict rule is the "fridge door rule" - I cut up veggies whenever we get home from the market, and we always have 2 or 3 different veggies cut up & ready to go in the door of the fridge. If either of us opens the door for any reason, we both eat a piece or two or whatever happens to be there. Really works for snack attacks, and works even better for those times when you're wandering around and think you're hungry when really you're just bored…by the time you finish your carrot stick and radish slice, you don't generally go back to find more food…and if you do, guess what? You just opened the fridge door again! :D
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly an IIFYM type, with my protein set to 120g/day. I don't usually get there, but I do usually get over 100. Fat is around 40 and carbs 90. I do sometimes go over carbs if it's a day I have corn (summer = grilled corn on the cob at least twice per week!) or a lot of fruit, or if it's cereal-for-dinner night. I'm really trying to avoid refined carbs, but I like to have the occasional treat as well.