Recommend a crushing book please.

Options
hush404
hush404 Posts: 95 Member
So, I just blew through John Green's "The fault in our stars" that a friend bought me for my bday. I was excited to read it, as she told me it broke her heart... and I like when a book can effect me like that. It didn't. I liked the tale but it really didn't effect me at all. Can anyone recommend something that's simply going to tear me down?

Replies

• jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a crushing book the end of Odd Thomas was pretty crushing. I also really enjoyed the Age of Misrule books (the three originals). They aren't always happy and light doesn't always triumph over darkness. The twist near the end broke my heart.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. The cover and description may seem like it's chick lit but it really, really isn't.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I rarely tear up when reading a book, but this one made me bust out the Kleenex. I loved the story, the language, the imagery.

It's Eternal On the Water by Joseph Monninger.
    http://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Water-Joseph-Monninger/dp/1439168334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401308347&sr=8-1&keywords=eternal+on+the+water
  • hush404
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys/girls. I'm going to look into them all :)
  • msbhavesalot
    Options
    Eh, TFIOS is a great John Green book but Will Grayson, Will Grayson is better imo. However, I'd recommend Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt if you're not only into YA books :).
  • hush404
    Options
    Eh, TFIOS is a great John Green book but Will Grayson, Will Grayson is better imo. However, I'd recommend Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt if you're not only into YA books :).

I'm into anything really. A good book is a good book is a good book :) Thanks for the suggestion.
  • msbhavesalot
    Options

I'm into anything really. A good book is a good book is a good book :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Anytime, mistah B.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    One of the ones that I read that was pretty emotional was "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. It centres around identical twins, one of which has schizophrenia. Very good book!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The Ice Storm by Rick Moody
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
    Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer

These are all movies but, of course, the books are better. Except maybe for The Ice Storm. That's a damn good movie.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Anne Rivers Siddon's book Fox's Earth will completely tick you off if you're up for something like that.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

It's been a while since I read it initially, but I remember crying quietly while flipping its massive pages. I also remember thinking, "That was so cathartic. I will need to wait a long time before I can reread this."
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Still Alice - tells the tale of a woman who is diagnosed and then living after being diagnosed with Alzheimers. Talk about crushing! There are passages in this book when she is grappling with early to moderate dementia that ripped my heart out.

Please read this book...and be prepared to cry and empathize your heart out.
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. The cover and description may seem like it's chick lit but it really, really isn't.

I second it, I laughed and cried throughout the whole book, it's not the most 'crushing' story but worth a read.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons, set in Russia during WWII and the Leningrad siege... absolutely devastating and heartbreaking, but so so beautiful. My favourite book in the world.
  • lillithfair4
    Options
    Try Deadline by Chris Crutcher, or Before I Die by Jenny Downham. Both have similar plots about teenagers with fatal diseases trying to crush growing up into the time they have left. Deadline has a more humorous take to it but none the less will let loose the water works, where as Before I Die is a bit darker. Hope this helped! :)