Fitness Challenge Week Two

Options
Alrighty everyone!

Hope this message finds you all doing well and maintaining your goals. I know we had a member volunteer to set up weekly challenges, but since I have had quite a few inbox messages requesting this weeks challenge I thought I might as well throw one out there as time is awastin'.

Including today, there are six days left in the week. Let's get a little cardio/stength training/and muscle toning in, shall we?

I know some of us may hate them, but they are something you can do in the privacy of your own home and are great for those abdominals and obliques: CRUNCHES.

250 crunch challenge.

If you can knock these out in a day, power to you, my friends, but some of us in the higher ranges of the current weight category may be thinking, "Two hundred and fifty.....is she crazy?"

Maybe, but we have six days to do them. Which amounts to about 42 of them per day. Calorie burn is not very sufficient with this exercise (although if you decide to do 42 crunches per day you may burn a few calories, depending on current weight and how fast you do them), however the focus is more on strength, stamina, and muscle building. If you can incorporate this into an every day routine, just think of how much muscle toning is going on in that area.....and remember muscle tone aids in the weight loss process!

And let's be real, for some of us in the 200+ pound range, doing 5 crunches is an accomplishment, much less 42 per day! So, the accomplishment of completing the challenge will definitely be a motivating factor for some of us.

So let's get to it!

If you do not know how to do a "crunch" this link will give some great information:
http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/how-to-do-a-crunch-exercise/#_

Also, if you have any stomach, neck, or back issues, you may want to consult your doctor before partaking of the challenge. If your doctor recommends that you forego the crunches, inbox me and I will provide an alternative fitness goal for the week.

Let the crunching commence!

Replies

• boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You're on. I jumped up and did fifty as soon as I read your post! The last twenty were reeeeaaaaally slow and hard, but I did it.

I'll definitely be feeling this tomorrow - hope I can get out of bed...
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I hate crunches. :tongue: But this isn't the "weekly fitness easy fun times" thread; I'm in!
  • Taraand
    Taraand Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You don't like me do you. :smile: I hate crunches rather my hernia hates them.

OK whiny over I just did a 50 modified crunches. (I don't want my hernia popping out)
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Great job everyone!

I scrimped on the gym yesterday (still recovering from my eight hour walk experience that took place on Saturday at Fiesta Texas), and then realized that each day I wait adds the 42 count to the next day. So, today I'll have to do 84 crunches to keep up. Yikes! Great incentive to knock them out daily!

So, word to the wise, if crunches are among the detested exercises in your mind, do the small amount daily, so as not to have to bust out all 250 at the end of the week!
    :sick:
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Crunches are the devil lol But count me in.

Just did my 42 for today. I might try squeeze in some more later if my body likes me.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am in! I'm going for the 42 a day!!!
  • kelieprincess
    kelieprincess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in :) I don't go all the way up because of my back sciatica, but I will see how many I can do :)
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options
    I didn't see this till today, but I'm so in. I have found that, as a 240.5lb (hopefully less I was supposed to weigh yesterday but left my gym bag at home and once I walked through that threshold to air conditioning there was no leaving) woman crunches are easier on an exercise ball.

I'm currently working on the 30 Day Squat Challenge, and the Ab Challenge is next, but I'll start on these before hand.

Good luck all! :)
  • Kate741
    Kate741 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just saw this today too and I wasn't sure I could do it but I got 50 in today. I am in.

Thanks for the motivation,
    Kathy
  • TiffBengston
    TiffBengston Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just saw this challenge and was excited to push myself ( I can NEVER motivate to exercise at night....I'm a morning gal); BUT this challenged did motivate me - I just completed 50 crunches!
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    All right team, it's Hump Day, the perfect day to "hump it" (a military term which means to carry or lift a load) and begin if you haven't already, or work toward finishing up this week's challenge.

I decided to take one more day off yesterday which was detrimental for me today. My goal is AT LEAST three work outs per week (I am aiming for four per week), so with taking Monday and Tuesday off I literally set myself up for mandatory workouts today, tomorrow, and Friday at the very least. I also set myself up for having to do a minimum of 126 crunches in order to hit our set goal of 250 for this week.

I trekked into the gym, and knocked out 150 first thing. I did twenty minutes of cardio and then jumped into my 30 minute circuit weight training, and ended with the front row which added another 25 crunches to my grand total.

175 down, 75 to go by Sunday.

Hope you all are doing well, and keep in mind that this weeks challenge doesn't need to end on Saturday. Incorporating crunches into a daily or weekly habit will definitely aid in toning, strength and stamina building which is ultimately good for your weight loss goals. So, continuing to do at least 40 crunches per day is a good goal to keep in your exercise regimen. They are free to do, you can get them in quickly, and the pain doesn't last very long. It's also a good way to measure progress, whereas it may take ten minutes to do 40 crunches, as time moves on you will notice it taking less and less time to bang them out. This is another great motivator to stick to them!

Happy crunching!
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I didn't even see this thread... oohh... but I don't like crunches. I might try though. I mean if you give it all you got you still accomplish something right?

Hope that you do a pushup challenge or squats next time! I love bodyweight exercises! :)
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm behind but getting caught up! Did 30 crunches last night and 50 this morning for a total of 80. Will do at least another 50 tonight and aim for 100 tomorrow. They really aren't as bad as I thought if I break them into sets of 30-50.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I am getting better at them too!
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    After a couple of crunchless days, I'm back on the wagon - just did 75, which brings me halfway to the goal.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Crunch complete as of this morning. Knocked out my final 75 before cardio, but I will continue to do 42 per day until Sunday so that I can be in the trenches with you ladies!

Keep doing a great job!
  • kelieprincess
    kelieprincess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    100 crunches so far this week :)
  • sarah_irish_2001
    sarah_irish_2001 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge :) I havent done crunches in soooo long :) I only saw this post yesterday, so I did 90 yesterday and 70 today .... 90 to go :)
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge :) I havent done crunches in soooo long :) I only saw this post yesterday, so I did 90 yesterday and 70 today .... 90 to go :)

Way to go Sarah!