Every Other Day Diet

Mylolamia
Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
Hi everyone. My name is Diane, 67 on Tuesday, have been on MFP almost two years, have struggled to reach my goal of 135 lbs., I am 5'5". The last couple of months, despite all my walking (I average 1,000 miles in six months), my weight has maintained at 143-144. Time for a drastic change so hope this works.

I have started the Every Other Day Diet this morning with my first Fast Day. Have eaten exactly 500 calories which is the women's fast day goal...tomorrow I can and will eat ANYTHING I want, within reason. Love the idea of this concept, have read a lot recently on it and seems many many people love it.

EODD professes to not eat breakfast, but one meal, either lunch or dinner of 500 calories, or a main meal of 400 calories with a snack of 100 calories, which is approximately what worked for me today. Drink lots of water, or other clear liquids...as long as total calories eaten on Fast Days is not more than 500. Feast Days, we can eat anything we want.

Would lobe to make friends here who might be doing this. Need insight as to if this really works.

Replies

• RubberBugggy
    RubberBugggy Posts: 27 Member
    HI! I was not checking in as nothing seemed to be happening. I have been on EOD for 1 month- and I lost 20 pounds so far. It seems to be the diet that my family can tolerate well - now that there is good scientific evidence that it won't harm me - and in fact will help. I would love to buddy with you.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Hi there. So glad someone is here. Started EODD on Sunday and already have lost 2.6 lbs...love love it. Thanks for friending me. We can do this and it is going to work.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    How is everyone doing on this? Im going to start it in September, Im currently finishing up my HMR shakes and meals and would like to try this system out. Id like to go back to eating regular meals (non-processed foods). Just looking to see if people are still going strong. :-) Ruthe
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    I'm on day 9 and this is too easy. Lost 4 lbs of bloat. I hope it continues to work. If anyone wants to friend me, I'd welcome some new friends who are doing this, too. I usually lose pretty slowly because I don't have a lot to lose and last time I hit about a six month plateau. I finally gave up. Wish I hadn't. My fast days I'm at 500. Feast days I'm at 1200-1400. How is everyone else doing?
  • RubberBugggy
    Hi. I have been on EODD since June 9 and so far it has been working well. I only eat real food - simply prepared - although you can get fancy too. Feel free to friend me.
  • Bookchick887
    Irritating when MFP reprimands me when my calories are low on fast days. So bossy.
    I'm doing well knowing I can eat the next day. My mantra... 'if not now, then when?' I repeat this to myself when I want to go over calories on fast days. This is the time to follow through.
    Next weekend I'm going back to a place I lived to visit old friends, I'm going to feel confident knowing that I look good. Incentive to keep going.
    I'm walking every day 30 minutes and it feels so good. I lay my clothes out right by my bed so I put them on first thing. I sure didn't want to walk yesterday but I went anyway and met a sweet neighbor who gave me a bouquet of flowers from his garden. You never know what kind of adventure you're missing unless you get out there.
    My fast day meals...I've settled on
    Breakfast: 1/2 c oatmeal(1 c cooked), 1/2 c milk, coffee w/ fat free 1/2 n 1/2
    Lunch: 2 oz lunch meat, string cheese
    Dinner: can of vegetable beef soup
    Sometimes I'll have a rice cake or piece of fruit.
    Lost 5 lbs, 10 more to go.
    Tell me about your adventure :)
  • RubberBugggy
    I agree, MFP is not set up for alternate day fasting.

I have a different philosophy for Fast Day. I am following Dr. Krista Varady who has done most of the human ( and some early mice) studies on this diet approach.

On fast days I try to vary my main meals (for interest), make tasty and interesting 100 calorie snacks. I like to share my main meal with family and friends, so just adapt my meal to what others are eating. I am blessed with supportive family/friends, who accommodate to my dietary restrictions - so it may be a bit easier for me than for some. I would rather have the socialization time with others than not - and I never worry about what others are and can eat. I feel happy and blessed to have good quality healthy food to eat, even on a fast day.

Of course, I have a lot more to lose than you do so I am in this for the long haul. Boredom and feelings of deprivation are the enemies of weight loss.

I also splurge on good coffee and specialty teas for fast days. That way I can feel that I am treating myself, not punishing myself. So far, so good. But I have a year to do - so treating myself well will be important.
  • Bookchick887
    So glad it's working for us, no matter how we use it!
  • Ciws70
    Ciws70 Posts: 14 Member
    I just stumbled across Varady's book -- is this still working for you? My family says it is crazy...