Are you a vegetarian runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Who says vegan is expensive? it's only costly if you're buying processed protein powders, supplements, and faux meats. Fresh produce is cheap, so are beans.

Yeah, fresh produce is cheap when you live in Texas. It is not so cheap when you live in the frozen north. And it isn't good either. For about seven months out of the year, a tomato costs $4 and tastes like cardboard. I can go close to vegan in the summer up here, but come winter I want to stick a gun in my mouth. Come February and I'm melting sharp cheddar on top of everything.

Hahaha yes! Fresh produces in Canada in February is E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.
    And, everything is better with melted cheese on it :laugh:

We've kept detailed budgets that include our groceries for many years. It's funny to watch how our expenses change during the year. The grocery bill goes up by about 70% in February relative to August. We can also see blips when I've been breastfeeding. That's hilarious!
    I've had this conversation before where someone was saying buying chicken breast was cheaper than protein powder.

Ugh yah, not here.

Fresh is soooo expensive, and I get so jealous whenever I am on vacation in the states (mostly southern) and see how cheap groceries are!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Who says vegan is expensive? it's only costly if you're buying processed protein powders, supplements, and faux meats. Fresh produce is cheap, so are beans.

Yeah, fresh produce is cheap when you live in Texas. It is not so cheap when you live in the frozen north. And it isn't good either. For about seven months out of the year, a tomato costs $4 and tastes like cardboard. I can go close to vegan in the summer up here, but come winter I want to stick a gun in my mouth. Come February and I'm melting sharp cheddar on top of everything.

We've kept detailed budgets that include our groceries for many years. It's funny to watch how our expenses change during the year. The grocery bill goes up by about 70% in February relative to August. We can also see blips when I've been breastfeeding. That's hilarious!
    I've had this conversation before where someone was saying buying chicken breast was cheaper than protein powder.

Ugh yah, not here.

Fresh is soooo expensive, and I get so jealous whenever I am on vacation in the states (mostly southern) and see how cheap groceries are!

I might as well live in Canada. We have beavers, moose, backyard hockey, and shovels for the roof here. But no kindersurprises.

Edited to add - we even have poutine.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm a carnivore myself, but check out Tim Van Orden, blog is a now out of date,but he's a raw vegan guy and he kicks @ss.

http://runningraw.com/results.html
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

what about frozen produce? nutritionally sound in most cases, and it sounds like keeping stuff frozen up there would be easy! ha ha ha. Maybe freeze your own in the summer when it's plentiful, if it's too expensive to buy year 'round. Canning foods is another option. (trying to think of the ways we used to do it as kids...my family was poor and we didn't live close to stores)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Ugh yah, not here.

I might as well live in Canada. We have beavers, moose, backyard hockey, and shovels for the roof here. But no kindersurprises.

What about Tim Hortons ?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    A quality diet seems to be defined by vegetables, legumes, fruit, and nuts. Along with that, I thought, a runner would include salmon, tuna, chicken breast, cottage cheese, eggs and some red meat. Should I eat meat, eggs and dairy in order to lose weight, run well and stay healthy or not?

I went from couch to marathon runner in a year and dropped 80+ lbs in the process on an entirely vegetarian diet ( meaning no fish, which in no universe should be considered a vegetable). You don't need to eat meat to be a long distance runner, but you can also choose to eat it if you wish.
  • SillyC2
    Options

what about frozen produce? nutritionally sound in most cases, and it sounds like keeping stuff frozen up there would be easy! ha ha ha. Maybe freeze your own in the summer when it's plentiful, if it's too expensive to buy year 'round. Canning foods is another option. (trying to think of the ways we used to do it as kids...my family was poor and we didn't live close to stores)

It is an option, for sure, and I eat a ton of frozen veggies. But they don't taste anywhere near as good as fresh. They don't smell anymore and they aren't crunchy. You get a little sick of wet vegetable casserole and wet vegetable stew.
  • SillyC2
    Options

Ugh yah, not here.

What about Tim Hortons ?

Unbelievably I'm south of the Timmies Belt. I'm in NASTY Dunkin Donuts land. Blech. I have to drive north about 40 minutes to refill my TimMug.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It is an option, for sure, and I eat a ton of frozen veggies. But they don't taste anywhere near as good as fresh. They don't smell anymore and they aren't crunchy. You get a little sick of wet vegetable casserole and wet vegetable stew.
    [/quote]

bleck. If that were my experience, I wouldn't be thrilled either. :/
  • SillyC2
    Options

[/quote]

bleck. If that were my experience, I wouldn't be thrilled either. :/
    [/quote]

I have to tell you, I think there's a market for vegan cookbooks targetted at those of us that live in the snow belt of the US or in Canada. There are a couple of cookbook authors that are north-friendly - Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Sarah Kramer - but other than that, it's really hard to find vegan recipes that work well for those of us eating limp endives and more potatoes. I look at so many dishes and I'm like, "Watercress? Yeah maybe once every two years I find it not slimy."
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

This is true. I always go into shock every time I go home to visit and buy groceries. Even in the summer it's expensive for fresh fruit and it doesn't taste as good. Also, lack of yogurt selection in Canada. We have a 30 foot long fridge of yogurt choices at my grocery store, my parents grocery store has like 3 kinds. :laugh: