Just started the program today

Options
Hi, all!

I just started the c25k program today. And let me tell you, I have always hateddd running with a purple passion. I haven't been horrible at it, I guess. Back in high school for those physical fitness tests, I could run (with some walking) a mile in 8 minutes and something (I know, maybe that's not impressive to some, but when I say I was/am not athletic, I really mean it. I'm about as lazy as it gets. I didn't play any sports and the closest thing I did to actually being regulary active was a yoga class for college, but that ended with the new semester). But, alas, high school was nearly 6 years ago. I tried to start running last summer. Ran a mile one day. Thought I was going to die and was sooooo sore for the next week, I thought anyone who ran miles upon miles each day was a lunatic and promptly gave up.

After a horrible diet in college, thanks to commuting to school and then going straight to work with only one place to grab some food in between (yep, the Golden Arches), I decided it was about time to do something about not feeling my greatest and time to get active. One of my college friends texted me a couple weeks ago about how she had started the c25k program and I've read her updates and texts for several weeks how she's actually stuck to the program. She told me "If I can do it, anyone can". Was that enough to get me to actually do it? Yeah, no. Not so much.

Not until another friend of mine and I were talking about fitness one day last week and said she, too, has started the c25k program. Well, that got me to thinking. "Really, if they can do it, surely I can, too, right?"

That's when I went to the wonderful world of Google and searched "C25K success stories and weight loss" and stumbled across the many, many, MANY success stories of my fellow my fitness pals! I'm not joking when I say I've spent the better part of a week reading the numerous stories you lovely people have posted on here. So to that, I say thank you for being the push that I needed to get off the couch and try it!

As I said early in the post, I started the program today and thought it was (dare I say it?) actually pretty easy. And I'm looking forward to getting out there and doing it again on Wednesday!!

So, does anyone have any tips they would want to share or any stories to inspire us all to keep going?

Thanks everyone! Really, I mean that!

Replies

• LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips but I thought I would respond because I just started yesterday also. :) How did your first day go? I have an app on my phone that I used but I didn't like it -- it alerts you to when it's time to walk/jog/cool down but I couldn't hear the alert over my music so I kept getting off sync. I'm trying to find a different app for tomorrow's jog.
  • caswilso
    caswilso Posts: 18
    Options
    I used the C25K free app (it's got the breast cancer awareness sign in the corner) and it worked really well! Of course, I didn't have music playing, because I was running up and down my driveway and the wifi doesn't reach that far for Pandora... :-/

Yesterday went really well, actually! I'm only slightly sore from it. How'd it go for you?
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm on week 6 at the moment, and really enjoying it! Its amazing seeing how much you can run for at this point, when i couldn't even do 30 seconds before i started!

I don't really have much in the way of tips as i'm currently doing it on a treadmill before i graduate to outdoor running in about a week, but from all i've read, it's always best to go slow and work up to it - it doesn't matter how fast you go as long as you keep moving.

There are quite a few helpful people knocking about this group so i'm sure they have lots of tips :)
  • CStellaGo
    CStellaGo Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I completed week 8 day 1! I can't believe I graduate the program this week! My advice to you- is when it seems too hard and you can't finish a run then your pace needs to be slowed down. Also don't think that if it's too easy you need to jump ahead. That can cause injuries- this program isn't about just conditioning for endurance it conditions your entire body by gradually pushing you to do more. I was never a runner- I kept getting stuck on the 4X400 relay race in high school and dreaded it every time and felt like I was dieing every time but with this program I am becoming a seasoned long distance runner. I love it- it has helped my stress levels tremendously and I have even gotten a friend to start doing the program and hopefully it does the same for her as me.
  • caswilso
    caswilso Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! I'm hoping I can make it as far as you all have! :D
  • KrisisOD
    KrisisOD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 1 Day 3 tomorrow, feel free to add me if you'd like. :)