What is your carb profile?

Options
2»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    How do people do the ultra low carb thing? I can't figure out how those numbers are achievable. A tomato would kill your budget for the day.

Are we counting the same way?

I was wondering that too. My dietician told me I should not be counting net carbs, only total carbs.

I just realized, I'm not working with a dietitian, nutritionist, and as I stated earlier, while I do have an Endocrinologist I see on a regular basis, I have chosen to reject his targets for me.

If I followed his advice, it would not be a pretty picture, and I certainly would not be able to get the numbers I do. I'm not really sure how he expects me to get good numbers with his targets, unless he's just standing by waiting to add more meds as needed, as this disease progresses.

It is my belief that even though I am a T2Diabetic, I still have the right to normal blood sugars if I can get them safely. This is where my doctor and I diverge. His belief is that I am diabetic & I should stay in the diabetic range of numbers because that's what the literature says.

I should say that I am not on Insulin, just Metformin XR 1500 daily.

For folks who are finding this discussion eye opening, it can be complicated, but not overly so.

Go to BloodSugar.com and I encourage you to share the prospective you've gained (I'm sure you'll have questions) with your doctor.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs at 22 per day. Helps to keep my blood sugar down.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I try and do 30 or less for breakfast ,lunch and dinner and 10-15 for snacks. My numbers are usually good with that but I may try lower to try and lose more weight.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't actually count my total. I eat my meter and know what affects my sugar more. I test about 9 times a day (I know a lot). However, I know some carbs don't affect my BS as much as others. (on Metformin ER 2 times a day 500mg each - no insulin)

I try to keep my morning meal under 30g with fat.

Snacks under 15 (sometimes 20...)

Lunch around 25 or less

Dinner 40 or less

These are all ballpark. I splurge on fruits. They seems to be ok for BS. Every person and every carb is different.

What I do know is exercise really lowers my BS. Once I was about 160. Got on my treadmill. After 10 minutes it was 110. Definitely makes a huge difference!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I don't actually count my total. I eat my meter and know what affects my sugar more. I test about 9 times a day (I know a lot). However, I know some carbs don't affect my BS as much as others. (on Metformin ER 2 times a day 500mg each - no insulin)

I try to keep my morning meal under 30g with fat.

Snacks under 15 (sometimes 20...)

Lunch around 25 or less

Dinner 40 or less

These are all ballpark. I splurge on fruits. They seems to be ok for BS. Every person and every carb is different.

What I do know is exercise really lowers my BS. Once I was about 160. Got on my treadmill. After 10 minutes it was 110. Definitely makes a huge difference!

I test a lot too, like 6 times a day or so. My fingertips are taking a toll. I'm only on Metformin too. I usually can do more carbs for breakfast than my other meals. I started added more fruit into my diet. It hasn't had an effect on my sugars. Exercise makes a big difference for me too!
  • msboujhie
    msboujhie Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm normally below 1500 calories a day but I try to keep my carb intake below 50 for most meals.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Exercise makes mine go higher. The before dinner reading I take is always highest on the days I have my water aerobics class because class is from 4-5 PM and I usually eat dinner around 6-6:30. My doctor said that that will go away eventually as I lose more weight and get more fit. The muscles are releasing glucose into the bloodstream to give me energy for the workout (known as a "glucose dump"). She told me, for the fun of it, that I should take my meter to class and test every 10 minutes. I probably will see an initial drop, then the numbers will start rising and won't go down again until 2 hours after. Kind of like a meal except that the glucose is coming from the muscles instead of food. I haven't done it because I would be kind of self conscious about moving to the edge of the pool and testing in front of everybody.
  • hookilau
    Options

Exercise makes mine go higher. The before dinner reading I take is always highest on the days I have my water aerobics class because class is from 4-5 PM and I usually eat dinner around 6-6:30. My doctor said that that will go away eventually as I lose more weight and get more fit. The muscles are releasing glucose into the bloodstream to give me energy for the workout (known as a "glucose dump"). She told me, for the fun of it, that I should take my meter to class and test every 10 minutes. I probably will see an initial drop, then the numbers will start rising and won't go down again until 2 hours after. Kind of like a meal except that the glucose is coming from the muscles instead of food. I haven't done it because I would be kind of self conscious about moving to the edge of the pool and testing in front of everybody.

Yes, that used to happen to me too when I exercised. However, since my carbs are so low, I don't have a whole lot of glycogen to burn up in general :wink: So I don't get that glucose 'dump'....that's not to say it's not possible for my liver to decide I need some & 'help' me out :huh:

However, as I've progressed & lost weight, it stopped happening :drinker:
  • life_enthusiast
    life_enthusiast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I really appreciate seeing what everyone is doing in their carb counts. It's always good to open up to other ideas.

My Dietician said to shoot for somewhere between 135-165 of starch carbs a day. I do not count every carb I eat. I was advised to count carb servings (15g=1 serving) of starchy foods like corn, potato, bread, rice, yogurt, fruit etc... Not tomato, lettuce etc... I was ultra low carb in the beginning, but she said that wasn't recommended for me as I need the carbs for energy and I get lows associated with hormone chnages. So, I upped my carb intake.

I am on one Metformin a day and occasionally I forget to take it at dinner. Afterwards, I'm always up in the 150's or higher. When on the Metformin, I'm usually around 115 post-prandial.

Hubby and I live on a second shift schedule, so I only eat 4 times a day. 2 meals and 2 snacks. Here's what it looks like:

Lunch 30-45g

Snack 15-20g

Dinner 30-45g

Snack 15-20g

If you total that up, the most I'll eat in a day is 130 grams. I find it difficult to eat more and keep my sugars where I want them (A1C is 5.9). When I'm up early enough for Breakfast, I can spread them out more and eat more carbs. Those days I typically get to 150 or so.

Generally, I try not to eat more than 45 grams of grain carb in a day. However, I do allow myself to eat one chip type snack a day. The rest is fruit (I try to eat 30g a day in fruit) and veggie carb with the occasional 15g of potato.

I eat a lot of cheese and meat because I can't tolerate Vitamin D meds and my Endo is determined to get my levels into a normal range (I was at 7, now I'm at 17). Plus it fills me up!

I also have acid reflux so onions, peppers and salad more than once a day can be problem. So, I have to get creative with the veggies...lots of broccoli, carrots and mushrooms.

I test 3 times a day. Once in the morning, once after dinner and then once whenever I want to test a food or see where I'm at before I eat. I'm 2.5 years in and I still feel like I learn something every time I test.

Create a great day!
    Kristen
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I shoot for the very low end. Typically 40-60 grams per day. Often nearly none for breakfast (hard boiled egg or a cheese stick are typical on week days) and then 20-ish grams for lunch and dinner, that leaves a few for a snack. And what's life without a little chocolate? :tongue:
  • kamaperry
    Options
    My goal for carbs is 22 per day. Sometimes it gets to 30. I have 7 at breakfast, but I generally don't eat lunch. I snack on pork rinds or sunflower seeds or peanuts. I get carbs and protein and fat frm them. Then, dinner is some kind of meat(usually no carbs) veggie(carbs) and I make sure to get in plenty of fat.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding responding to this as I wasn't sure what my profile was yet.

It is currently as follows:

20/20/60
    120g Carbs per day
    120g Protein per day
    160g Fat per day

I mostly focus on the carbs. To that end:
    30g for Breakfast
    30g for Lunch
    30g for Dinner
    15g for a snack 2x per day

So far this seems to be working. I'm keeping my fasting morning readings at or less than 100 for the most part. I take a 500mg Metformin both morning and night and 1 glyburide both morning and night. My current goal is to at least rid myself of the glyburide as soon as possbile. Hoping my next Dr. appt at end of July will net a reduction in my A1C (end of April it was 9.4).
  • kamaperry
    Options

20/20/60
    120g Carbs per day
    120g Protein per day
    160g Fat per day

30g for Breakfast
    30g for Lunch
    30g for Dinner

So far this seems to be working. I'm keeping my fasting morning readings at or less than 100 for the most part. I take a 500mg Metformin both morning and night and 1 glyburide both morning and night. My current goal is to at least rid myself of the glyburide as soon as possbile. Hoping my next Dr. appt at end of July will net a reduction in my A1C (end of April it was 9.4).
  • kamaperry
    Options

20/20/60
    120g Carbs per day
    120g Protein per day
    160g Fat per day

30g for Breakfast
    30g for Lunch
    30g for Dinner

Good for you!! I know that would be way too many carbs for me. I didn't start having success with my blood sugar till I went on LCHF/Keto
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the LCHF/Keto group. I aim for less than 25g net carbs/day, I don't really worry about per meal amounts, as long as the total for the day remains that low. My blood sugar stays between 80-95 nearly 100% of the time. I started lifting weights last week after being sedentary other than the occasional walk for a very long time, and I spiked up to about 120 after my first workout.

I was doing well in terms of managing my blood sugar before the switch to low carb, I had a full year of A1C's between 5.2-5.5, but it was very, very difficult to maintain. After the switch to keto my A1C's have dropped into the 4.x range and it has been much easier to maintain those numbers.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 120-150 g carbs a day group. Some mornings it's a struggle to get a full serving of carbs as I'm eating a cheese omelet with coffee. Other days it's oatmeal or oat groats with coffee and I look to supplement with protein.

I was advised to have at least a serving (15g) of carbs at breakfast as I also am taking Metformin.

Lunch and supper are around 30-45 (sometimes up to 60) each. Whether snacks are carb (fruit) or not (summer sausage or cheese) depends on the rest of that days profile.

I'm wondering about those of you who are in the low carb camp - are you managing by diet alone or do any of you take metformin. I don't know other meds, but apparently it's recommended to take 15-30 g carbs with metformin.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    After the switch to keto my A1C's have dropped into the 4.x range and it has been much easier to maintain those numbers.

That's awesome. I have to go in for my next round of testing. I was at 6.1 a year ago and hoping to be into the 5's. I can't imagine being in the 4's.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Found this article interesting & thought I'd share...

here's an interesting excerpt:

High or Low Carb?
    The new guidelines note that there’s no conclusive evidence regarding an ideal amount of carbohydrate intake for people with diabetes. “We still have a lot to learn about carbohydrates and how different carbohydrates may affect blood glucose levels and glycemic control,” Urbanski says, adding that “many of the studies about carbohydrate are small, have low retention rates, and/or were of short duration.”

The 2008 guidelines recommended a minimum carbohydrate intake of 130 g/day, which was based on providing enough glucose to fuel the central nervous system without relying on glucose production from ingested protein or fat. The new guidelines don’t have this recommendation.

Read full article here:
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/020314p10.shtml
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about those of you who are in the low carb camp - are you managing by diet alone or do any of you take metformin. I don't know other meds, but apparently it's recommended to take 15-30 g carbs with metformin.

I was already off metformin before I made the switch to low carb. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened with the progression of changes I made once I was diagnosed.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 120-150 g carbs a day group. Some mornings it's a struggle to get a full serving of carbs as I'm eating a cheese omelet with coffee. Other days it's oatmeal or oat groats with coffee and I look to supplement with protein.

I was advised to have at least a serving (15g) of carbs at breakfast as I also am taking Metformin.

Lunch and supper are around 30-45 (sometimes up to 60) each. Whether snacks are carb (fruit) or not (summer sausage or cheese) depends on the rest of that days profile.

I take 500mg of Metformin three times a day. If I go less than 30 g per meal would be way too low. My next doctor visit I'm going to ask the doctor to lower my dose of Metformin. I'm relying way too much on it and eating a lot of junk and still staying in normal blood ranges. I'm also wondering the same question.