New to Crossfit

Options
dispatcher939
dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
I am new to crossfit ( one work out new) I loved it! I am not up to the weight that they are suggesting on the WOD yet. Any suggestions on scaling the workouts or the best way to build up the weight?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If the coaches don't give you guidance on scaling, ask. We are usually told what the goal of the workout is. If it's metabolic conditioning, you want to pick a weight that will allow you to do the entire set of movements relatively quickly to keep your heartrate up.

If the goal is strength training, you want the weight to be more challenging. In ALL cases you should be able to complete the movement safely and in good form. Work on form and technique FIRST and master it. Strength and intensity come after that.

Also, know your limits. You are responsible for your own health. I've had workouts where we were doing cleans and my lower back kept cramping up on me after two rounds. I kept doing the workout but stopped doing the cleans altogether. Coach came over to check on me, I told her what was going on and she said "good job, keep your heartrate up." Coaches should not be pushing you to do weights or volume you aren't ready for. If they are, just say no.

Lastly, learn to love the foam roller and mobility work. They hurt, but they will both help you recover and help you master proper form/technique.

Good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy it!
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    I am (fairly) new too. Only been doing it a few months
    We just get told to do what we can, I am no longer the weakest, but one guy was lifting NEARLY 3x my body weight on Monday session! (stood open mouthed for a second as i am not the lightest girl in the world!)

Just do what makes you feel comfortable but challenged, the last thing you want is an injury, it will be horribly painful, stop you being able to work out for a while and put you off the exercise. Slowly build up, if you feel comfortable, add a tiny bit more and keep going until its a strain but doesnt make you panic/hurt/make you worry you will drop it and above all make sure that you keep form.

There is no shame being weaker than the person next to you, you are there for your own benefit, enjoy it and do it in your own time. It's not a competition (at this stage!)
    :smile:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Focus on form for the first couple of months and gradually move up from there. When you first start, you might have major mobility issues that limit things like squat depth--things you never even thought of before CF. When I looked at my cleans I was doing in October, I was doing 25 pounds. Now I am doing 125.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Focus on form for the first couple of months and gradually move up from there. When you first start, you might have major mobility issues that limit things like squat depth--things you never even thought of before CF. When I looked at my cleans I was doing in October, I was doing 25 pounds. Now I am doing 125.
    Totally agree here. Focus on form first, then add weight as skill improves. Don't even worry about the clock, even if you're the last one finished that just means there will be more people to cheer you on when you do.

Proper form is everything.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    If the coaches don't give you guidance on scaling, ask. We are usually told what the goal of the workout is. If it's metabolic conditioning, you want to pick a weight that will allow you to do the entire set of movements relatively quickly to keep your heartrate up.

If the goal is strength training, you want the weight to be more challenging. In ALL cases you should be able to complete the movement safely and in good form. Work on form and technique FIRST and master it. Strength and intensity come after that.

Also, know your limits. You are responsible for your own health. I've had workouts where we were doing cleans and my lower back kept cramping up on me after two rounds. I kept doing the workout but stopped doing the cleans altogether. Coach came over to check on me, I told her what was going on and she said "good job, keep your heartrate up." Coaches should not be pushing you to do weights or volume you aren't ready for. If they are, just say no.

Lastly, learn to love the foam roller and mobility work. They hurt, but they will both help you recover and help you master proper form/technique.

Good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

THIS /\
    Most people don't start ar Rx. Remember that.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    As others have said don't worry about lifting heavy weight or Rx for WOD's yet. I have been going for 2 months now and have just started to Rx a few but not all. The trainers you work with should scale things back for you, but remember they are also there to push you the limit.

Have fun!