first 50K

Options
So I have ran 8 half marathons and 1 marathon in the last 2 years...and when I finished the full last fall I told myself I would not sign up for another full either ever or for a long time. I have ran 2 halves since that time. I was on vacation in sunny CA and found a great trail in and out of canyon and I went for a little 6 mile run....loved it. Loved the trail running. So in all of my brilliancy I signed up for a 50K trail run for October. My 16 week training plan officially started this week. Not am I only nervous about the training runs..I have a 26 mile training run then next day 10 miles...CRAZY!! But nutrition. I can't stomach that many "gels/gus" I learned that in the full, I just stopped fulling after awhile because I couldn't stomach more crap. I'm concerned about that for the 50K. I have read in an hour of running the avg. calorie burn is 600 calories, but your body can only absorb about 240 calories an hour. That is over two gels/gu's an hour, I know I can't handle that. But I have NEVER ate anything during a run, heck I barely eat much before a long run...any suggestions on what to eat? I"m thinking like peanut butter stuff pretzals, peanut butter granola...things like that...but need suggestions! Any any training suggestions would be appreciated too :)

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Sammy, you need to make friends with my friend Sarah C Smith. Pm me and I'll arrange it. She went from Halfs to Fulls to Ultras in a YEAR. And when I mean ultras, I mean 50 milers, not 50k.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So I have ran 8 half marathons and 1 marathon in the last 2 years...and when I finished the full last fall I told myself I would not sign up for another full either ever or for a long time. I have ran 2 halves since that time. I was on vacation in sunny CA and found a great trail in and out of canyon and I went for a little 6 mile run....loved it. Loved the trail running. So in all of my brilliancy I signed up for a 50K trail run for October. My 16 week training plan officially started this week. Not am I only nervous about the training runs..I have a 26 mile training run then next day 10 miles...CRAZY!! But nutrition. I can't stomach that many "gels/gus" I learned that in the full, I just stopped fulling after awhile because I couldn't stomach more crap. I'm concerned about that for the 50K. I have read in an hour of running the avg. calorie burn is 600 calories, but your body can only absorb about 240 calories an hour. That is over two gels/gu's an hour, I know I can't handle that. But I have NEVER ate anything during a run, heck I barely eat much before a long run...any suggestions on what to eat? I"m thinking like peanut butter stuff pretzals, peanut butter granola...things like that...but need suggestions! Any any training suggestions would be appreciated too :)

What kind of support does the course have? Is it loops or out-and-back?

I went with nothing for the first half of my 50K, then had course-provided PBJ quarters, grapes, and Mountain Dew for the last two laps and did fine. Try to snag a copy of Relentless Forward Progress to get a lot of tips for your first.

I had success winging it and did 2 laps (a 4 lap course) for training (about 15mi) about a month out, and did another 18mi road run the weekend before the ultra. However, my training volume was 50MPW. I also took about 15min of breaks, and wasn't ashamed to walk when I needed to on that last lap.

Also, look for a pacer. Try to network with a local running group to see if there is anyone else your speed running it or if you have someone who would pace you for a part of it to keep you sane and help time fly by. I lucked out and had a companion racer the whole time who had a freaking entourage with us. The only rule is that they can't hold your things or give you stuff.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think your training is partly about learning how much fuel you need and what you can handle. Don't feel you have to consume as much as the gel manufacturers WANT you to consume (they have an interest in you buying lots of gels...). Maybe you should start with pre-long-run breakfast (oatmeal?) and work from there?
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    The course is 3 loops. There will be two "fully stocked, buffet style" aid stations. One at the start/finish and one at the half way mark. There will also be two un-manned water stops (you can refill bottles but no cups) around miles 2.5 and 8 of each loop. There will also be a bag drop at the start/finish. The course is around a lake into the woods, rolling hills they say. Most of the trail is single track trail, with some areas of mowed trail, and a little road (10%). Elevation change per loop is 1500'.

My avg. weekly running up to now was only around 30 MPW (besides for when I trained for my full last fall). So I know this is going to be a huge increase for me. So if they have a stop every 5 miles...I shouldn't really need to bring much with me..a water bottle and maybe a few gel's/gu's...for between aid stations and then refuel at the stations...

They do say your family/friends can run with you the last lap. I'm hoping to convince my sister or a friend to run the last lap with me..as I think I'm going to need it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd pack light then. Probably won't need water, but a bottle would be smart just in case. It sounds like you'll be well taken care of out there. Try to train on the course and incorporate walking uphill and activating your glutes over your quads. Get the book. I wish I had read it prior to mine!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    So 10 mile loops with a "buffett style" aid station every 5 miles? 5 miles is a little beyond what I am comfortable going empty handed for so I would carry a water bottle. I'd also carry a couple of gels. You may want to try experimenting with different brands/products. Maybe something like Blocks or the Honey Waffle will be something that works for you.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd say your fuel will depend on how long you think you'll be out there. If the nature of the course means you'll be out there much longer than a marathon, I'd eat real food. You can digest it without problems, usually, if you're moving more slowly than a road marathon. And trails can often make for sloshier stomachs (I don't know why!) and real food helps keep that at bay. Something as simple as granola bars of some sort. I like Honey Stinger Energy bars. If you don't anticipate running much slower than you do for a road marathon, I don't think it will matter if you eat gels or food or just sports drink. The distance isn't different enough. But the terrain is what can make the 50K a whole new animal.

Your best bet is to have fun experimenting during training. It's fun stuff.

I also use ultra training as an excuse to use Payday candy bars as fuel :) Have fun!!
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use all kinds of stuff as fuel. I run ultras and I can only stomach gels and chews for about 25 miles. Honestly, there's not a lot I wouldn't eat on a run. My husband often brings me pieces of frozen pizza. I like nutrigrain bars, cookies, candy, pretzels, almonds, bananas, just to name a few. My advice is either carry your own or find out what will be available at the race and train with that. Race day is not the time to find out what your stomach can handle.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sammy, how fast do you run?

Because if you're really fast you might not need to eat as much.

But there's the rub.... the key to eating on the run is slowing down a bit so that your body has the opportunity to digest.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed eating date balls on my long runs last year: dates, oat flour, chocolate powder, salt for electrolyte replacement and a little honey to keep them together.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The first thing that surprises me is that you're doing 26/10 B2B runs; if you can do that, 50k will be a breeze. Did someone mention relentless forward progress? Bryon Powell's book is great; reading through it convinced me that I could do 50mi 10 weeks after my first marathon...maybe not recommended, but certainly doable. But I think that for one of the 50mile plans, he doesn't go beyond 25/5 except for one 50k.

Food is interesting...I have tended not to eat much, even when I ran my 24h run. That probably isn't a good thing. I dislike gels, so I make a homemade honey-ginger gel (ginger is good for the stomach) and put it in a gotoob. At aid stations I like salted potatoes...yeah, just wait; you'll know what I mean. I try to use cytomax to get liquid calories in because I can't stand tailwind; pierogies and chicken soup are also happy foods for me. For a 50k I just don't really think about eating much. Different people have different energetic needs, and you might find that you enjoy the buffet. :)

Going back to training, if you've done a marathon a 50k shouldn't be a huge deal, except for the hills that you will undoubtedly encounter. Just walk up those, and run the downs and the flats.

As for hydration, I pretty much always wear a pack. It cuts down on my time at aid stations (I may stop every 10 mi, if that) and handheld water bottles get heavy for me after a while. I also like having my homemade gel, maybe a chocolate mint cliff bar, and my salt tablets on me when I run. Think about it this way- if there are 4 aid stations per loop x 12 loops, and you take a few minutes refilling your water bottle/eating/etc at each one, that's plenty of time wasted over the course of the race. And I need all the help I can to make cutoffs lol.

Sorry for the unorganized randomness of this post; there are plenty of experienced ultrarunners here and you're certain to get plenty of advice. People have so many different ways to deal with the challenges of ultras- everything from energy to hydration to the dreaded chafing- and as you do them, you will learn what works for you and what doesn't. For your first one, just enjoy being out on the trails, thank the aid station volunteers, and have a blast!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    as for the training schedule..I may modify it. I think I'm going to aim more for just time on my feet. Like go out and run for 4 hours or 4.5 and such..I don't want to get too hung up on the miles when out on the trails. And some of trails it will be hard to know my exact mileage anyways.

I'm not fast! My best half time is 2:00:34 My full was ridiculous 4:53 (fell apart early) so I expect I will be out there for awhile. I just love trail running more than road, so I'm hoping that alone will help keep me motivated through this long training schedule and race.

I appreciate all of the advice! Keep it coming :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    For my first 50k the only "training" I did was run 50-75 MPW... I trained and ran 1 marathon, 4 weeks later ran another marathon, then 4 weeks later did the 50k.. I thought that was the "perfect" way to train IMO. I took virtually no time off after my fulls tho.. Learn to run on dead legs. It's a red flag to me that you "fell apart" at your first and oly full. Do you know what went wrong? How will you prevent it during your ultra? Do you realize the difference between trail running vs road? Especially for hours & hours? The longest trail runs I've done were 2.5-3 hours and I started stumbling..

Anywho.. I didn't use any gels or chews or good during any of my training or the race. I only drank Gatorade.
    I ran my ultra at ~9:10 per mile [3:27 marathon Pr] 6.6MPH over 2,000 elevation with no shade from the sun. I Probsbly burned 3500+ calories, but took in maybe 200 tops? I have taught my body to run without fuel.

For races longer than 6 hours, I would Probsbly have to force myself to eat, but I prefer liquid calories myself... Seems to work well for me!

Try candy?!? ;)