Stunted weight loss??? :( (Kind of a rant...)

Options
I realized I posted this in the wrong group... Ooops... So I'm reposting it here. So, I'm super bummed today. I was weighed for the first time in 2 weeks. (My Dr's office was closed all last week for independence day.) I only lost 1 POUND IN TWO WEEKS!!!! :( This is devastating considering I've been losing a steady 4-5 pounds a week for the past 2 months. On top of that, while this is insignificant, I didn't get to see my favorite doctor today. She explains things really well to me. But the lady I saw today just said "Your ketones are way too big, you need to eat more carbs." I know they were huge because I saw that little ketostick get darker and darker until it was almost black. But why is that? I've been literally doing nothing different! I eat between 18-23 carbs a day just like I've been doing for 2 months now. Why all of a sudden is it not working? :( Did I do something wrong? The lady told me I needed to eat 30 a day now. The thing is, I'm still super overweight. Why would raising my carbs help me? Ughhhh.... I also think I have a ovarian cyst because I've been in horrible pain the past few days. Could that prevent my weight loss? I'm waiting on a call back from my OB. I was in so much pain last night that I was *this* close to going to the ER. I'm sorry this was all over the place I'm just suuuper bummed today. :( Any advice/words of encouragement?

Replies

• Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello.... =)

Okay....first things first, your weight will vary. Some weeks you will lose a bit and others you may even gain. DO NOT stress. As time goes on you will lose weight at a slower pace. I have lots to lose and I am averaging about 4lbs a month....I've had to change the way I think, now I have to be thankful I lose anything.

With regards to your dr. I'm not sure. Did your dr. put you on a low carb diet? I do know that the longer you are low carb the further into ketosis you will get which would make sense since you said you were seeing a darker stick for testing. I think even if you bump up to 30g of carbs per day you will still be in ketosis, but it does vary from person to person.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto since November 2013 and from April to about 2 weeks ago my weight loss just stopped. However I kept at it and in the last 2 weeks have last 6 lbs after months of no losses. Your body is adjusting, stop looking at low carb as a diet and look at it as a way of life. I stayed strong on keto because I enjoy this way of eating. During the time of no weight loss my clothes felt loser and my sizes shrunk. My stall lasted months, as frustrating as it may be 2 weeks is not a stunt in weight loss since you still managed to lose 1#. The biggest concern for me right now would be discussing what is going on with your ovaries with your doc.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You didn't specifically state that your goal is to be in ketosis, but keep in mind that the "secret" of any low carb WOE is actually ketosis. It's what provides a significant advantage to this WOE.

With ketosis always keep in mind that it's not just about your carb level. Your protein intake and percentage of calories from fat are also critical to achieving success. If you haven't run your numbers through the Ankerl keto calculator (http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) then I highly suggest you do that. Then take that info and track exactly what you're eating for at least 2 weeks (that means weigh your food!). Assess whether or not your diet is actually achieving the recommended macro nutrient ratios.

Your diary isn't open so I cannot assess your current diet choices, but follow the advice above and see if that kicks things into gear for you.
  • HiImMorganlol
    Options
    Thank you SO much for that link! I've been going through a diet place and have only been focusing on carbs alone. Boy was I wrong. Thank you!
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also get your tape measure out if you're not doing so already. You will probably be losing inches if your clothes are feeling loser and actually the inch tape is a much better way of measuring yourself than the scales. If you can see that you are getting smaller then it doesn't matter what the scales are saying - there are so many things that can affect the scale weight day to day and week to week, especially for ladies. I didn't weigh myself for 3 weeks when I first started - I didn't want to get discouraged by a small loss on the scales - but I took my waist measurement in two places (my natural wait and around my tummy button as that is my widest point!), my hip measurement and my under bust measurement. When I saw around 1" to 1.5" lost from each area after the first week I was happy and figured the scales weren't necessarily so important.