Weight loss, hypothyroidism & meds

Options
Bearika628
Bearika628 Posts: 10 Member
Hello,

Have any of you had success losing weight with hypothyroidism after starting thyroid medication? If so, how long did it take to see an improvement in weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    None - I gained. For me, it was because I placed too much of the responsibility for my weight on the med (levo) instead of watching my intake. I also happened to be taking the med wrong for the first few months. When I checked in with my endo, she (fairly harshly) told me it wasn't the med, it was me. I started looking elsewhere and sure enough, I was eating too much and of the wrong things. It's what drove me to MFP in the first place! :)
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I've been taking either Levo or Synthroid for about 10 years now (same dosage all along), and most of that time I was overweight to a lesser or greater degree. Just taking the pill did nothing for me, but I was able to reach my weight loss goal over 6 months last year after starting MFP. An endo early on told me the same thing also, that it was me and not the disease or med. In my opinion, the meds got me to the right levels where I could lose, and MFP/nutrition and exercise did the rest of the work. Good luck! Love your kitty profile pic.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    None - I gained. For me, it was because I placed too much of the responsibility for my weight on the med (levo) instead of watching my intake.
    ^^^This.
    The meds got me to the right levels where I could lose, and MFP/nutrition and exercise did the rest of the work.
    ^^^And this.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Synthroid & Cytomel reduce my fatigue, so I'm more active. But for me, weight loss is all about the logging. Your diary is private, so I can't give you any feedback. Get a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods. And measure all liquids with calories.
  • AGirrl
    AGirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As far as I have understood (I am new to this, not yet "officially" diagnosed,) it is vital to have "normal" level of TSH etc so that I am able to lose. That is, all efforts are fruitless until I have my condition "stabilized." BTW, have you been checked for Vitamin D deficiency? It could contribute greatly to the weight gain. You have to check 25-OH-vitamin D3 (25-OD-D3.)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    As far as I have understood (I am new to this, not yet "officially" diagnosed,) it is vital to have "normal" level of TSH etc so that I am able to lose. That is, all efforts are fruitless until I have my condition "stabilized."
    My levels only reached "normal" last week, but I lost 30 lbs. by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Edited to add that I thought I was gaining for no good reason, even though I was taking Synthroid. Then I started logging, and saw I was eating eat way too much. I'm hungry all the time (perhaps Hashi's has destroyed my hunger cues?), but following my calorie goal worked for me.
  • Bearika628
    Bearika628 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • AGirrl
    AGirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time

And that's so... bad. You shouldn't be. It takes an enormous self-control to be hungry and be able to cope on long-term w/ constant hunger. I truly admire you...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time
    And that's so... bad. You shouldn't be. It takes an enormous self-control to be hungry and be able to cope on long-term w/ constant hunger.
    Before MFP, I was hungry all the time + gaining & gaining for what I thought was "no good reason." Synthroid did nothing to slow my weight gain.

Thanks to logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly, I am in control of my weight. I see how my breakfast choices affect my options for the rest of the day. I never, ever "waste" calories on food that doesn't make me happy. I am mindful of every bite & sip. I eat my calories rather than drink them.

And I can see a direct correlation between what I eat & drink and my weight. Feeling out of control was so, so scary. (Not to mention the sweating, palpitations, brain fog, fatigue, etc. of Hashimoto's. Over the past two years, those have gradually improved thanks to Synthroid & Cytomel.) By logging since late November 2012, I've taught myself that I am so much stronger than I ever thought possible.

Logging works.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    holding one's self to account. being totally honest with one's self can be one of life's hardest lessons. still waiting to have my condition recognised.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    holding one's self to account. being totally honest with one's self can be one of life's hardest lessons. still waiting to have my condition recognised.
    It took me months to get 100% honest with my logging—months! And my diary was private back then, so I was only lying to myself.

Logging is like learning to ride a bike. The more you do it, the better you get.
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i agree. must log. must be honest.
  • xxx4mygirlsxxx
    xxx4mygirlsxxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911688-hashimoto-success-story-in-progress-pics?hl=hashimoto+success#posts-17566129

ive had success (the post above is mine), things have gone pear shaped lately. But yes it is possible to lose weight with Hashimotos. xxxx
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911688-hashimoto-success-story-in-progress-pics

I've had success (the post above is mine), things have gone pear shaped lately. But yes it is possible to lose weight with Hashimotos.
    There've been so many posts lately saying it's impossible to lose weight with thyroid disease.

I wish each & every one of those people could see what you've accomplished. Yay, you!
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad that I have found this group. I never thought to question my Dr. on my thyroid test. After reading these threads I now realize that I may need more testing. I had blood work done several months ago and my TSH, 3 rd GEN results are 1.090 and I am on 100 MCG of Levothyroxine. I am losing some weight from weighing and measuring and going to Planet Fitness 3 x a week and lifting weights and doing cardio. The problem for me is that I am still not sleeping well and am so tired all the time and have to force myself to go work out. I thought by now I would be feeling better, and having more energy.
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    None..I gained weight even with constant exercise & honest logging.

I have bloods done every 2 months, but at least I feel really good, not tired & can manage many things others can't.

Recently went on holidays where I walked 20kms per day, cycled 30kms per day.
    Cycled Washington Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, New York, Central Park, Santa Monica Beach (40kms), Washington DC, Golden Gate Bridge & many many other destinations.
    We decided no motor vehicles a healthy holiday walking & cycling only.

Constant exercise daily for 6 weeks, I was well under my daily calorie requirements.
    Didn't lose even 1 kg.

The Dr was amazed I managed to do so much & have so much energy.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    None..I gained weight even with constant exercise & honest logging.
    I looked at your diary, and it's 100% guesstimation. You have no idea how many calories you're really eating.

Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods like crumpets, wraps & cheese. Weigh or measure every liquid that has calories—including honey and margarine (spread).

Please, read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been taking synthroid for a few yrs. I began this program last June and did everything right.Using scales for my food was very important as was the exercise.
    In September I took sick but had already lost 28. Lbs..With 3 months in bed no exercise. No watchinng food I gained it all back .
    Have started again now that I am well and have lost 7 lbs so I think alot of it has to do with us and the choices we make.Just my thought.