Still not sure how much protein :s help appreciated

Options
threnodies
threnodies Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone,

So I am on day 8 of keto eating 20g> total carbs and with 100g fat and 60g protein as my goals (giving me a % ratio of 5/20/75)

My activity level is pretty light; I'm a student so I spend a lot of the day walking around school and I also walk home in the evening which takes 10-15 minutes
I go out a lot on weekends as well to the mall or city with friends so I walk around a lot there, and I often fidget/aggressively tap my feet (I also walk for 1-2 hours most weekends)
So in calculations and stuff I tend to go with the lowest option but that tells me I need to be having about 40g protein a day????

I've seen a lot of different protein things, some say 0.3g protein per pound of bodyweight, some say 1.8g per kilo lean bodyweight, some say 1.3g per kilo total bodyweight and this has just left me very confused about how much protein I should be eating

At the moment it's generally somewhere between 60-70, my fat is about 80-90 and my calories are 1200, and I want to know if this is going to be ideal for losing weight

So far I've lost 1.2kg (2.6lbs) in 8 days, haven't experienced keto flu (so idek if I am in keto and I haven't managed to find any ketostix + I hear they're really inaccurate anyway) and am in a crisis as to how much protein/fat/everything I should be having ;w;

If I do really need 40g protein a day as some of these calculators have told me (one other said 103g, one said 70g and one said 63g also I think) am I able to decrease my fat (since I almost never fully meet the goal on 1200 calories a day and there's no way I'm going to raise it) and increase protein so I'm having, say, 80g fat and 60g protein and still be able to lose weight and stay in ketosis?

Thanks for the help everyone I've been very conflicted over this recently uvu

Replies

• Jimboy3625
    Jimboy3625 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's the same ratio I am at as well, 5/20/75 have you tried using the Keto Calculator? It's awesome at figuring out where you should be.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I'd give that a try if you haven't already, also re-run the calculation every month or ten pounds change.

Good luck and Keto on!
  • threnodies
    threnodies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, I'll do that :)
  • carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5/30/65 carbs/protein/fat, doing about 20g/140g/135g. I try to hit at least 100g protein a day, because I do powerlifting (novice) and do not want to lose muscle mass (in fact, if possible, put some on, even in a cut).

I do not force myself to eat 140g fat a day, I eat for satiety, typically hitting 80-100g fat a day.

I have not had a problem maintaining ketosis, except if I have a couple of beers, as expected (based on how I feel, can feel my insulin, and the fact that I continue to lose weight, the ketostix can be misleading).