Brand New Here -- Due Sept 2014!

Options

Replies

• PNGmeri2000
    PNGmeri2000 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am pregnant with our first child and SO excited! We are due Sept 12! I was so excited to see a group of other pregnant women due in September!
    I had a rough start - was diagnosed with HG or severe morning sickness. I ended up needing to quit my job because I couldn't even take care of myself. I spent about 4 months in bed or at the toilet, lost a ton of weight, but am finally pulling out! Hurray! :)
    I finally reached my pre pregnancy weight at about 20 weeks, and now am 26 weeks and still gaining.
    I would love to be friends with any other pregnant moms, whether this is your first or 20th pregnancy! :)
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @ Meggwyn - I am surprized how much the glucose tolerance test vary, I have heard several different fasting and drawing times.. I believe my friend had a 4 hour draw after the drink .. ekk! Glad to hear that not tracking calories seems to be working out for you! I also haven't been tracking and I think I have been pretty steady with my weight gain. I bought paint for the baby's room.. but still need to actually start painting :) We have a diaper stash going and a few clothing items.. but so far that's it! I have had offers of baby gear from friends - so luckily we will start to get some free baby stuff soon!

@PNGmeri2000 - sorry to hear how bad your first trimester was! I hope you are feeling better now! This is also our first child! We are expecting a girl - due Sept 9th! Welcome to the group! I hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth sailing!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Pretty quiet pregnancy-wise for me. Despite the midwife putting a rush on my Fifth Disease blood work we still don't know the results. If I don't hear by mid-week next week I'm going to suggest having another round of blood work done. With my last pregnancy I had to re-do a round blood work because the lab lost my results, so I won't be surprised if it's happened again. I have to do my glucose test at 28 weeks, which coincides with a visit from BIL, SIL and their 3 wild kids. It will be around the mid-point of their visit, and I'm sure by then I'll be needing an hour to myself! :laugh: DH and I have chosen a boy name, but still working on a girl name with no progress.

@Destanie - Glad to hear the glucose test wasn't so bad! How's the nursery painting going? Are you doing a particular theme?

@PNGmeri2000 - Hope you're feeling better! I had all day nausea until 15 weeks with this pregnancy and got sick a handful of times and I thought that was bad enough. I can't imagine having HG!

@Meggwyn - Our list of what we need for #2 is pretty minimal given that we had #1 less than two years ago. I picked up some extra wash cloths (we go through loads since we use them to clean up DD after meals), replaced some ill fitting crib sheets with new ones, picked up a few extra change pad covers. We're good for now for clothes. We managed to find just enough neutral to get us through the first bit with DD. If we have another girl we're already set because their birthdays will be so close together they'll hopefully be able to share clothes. If it's a boy, I have a cousin who said she'd send all of her boy clothes our way, and we'll pick up odds and ends as needed. At this point our biggest concern is that we need to look at switching DD to a big girl bed and move her into her new room. We need to get our hands on a twin bed, bedding, and a dresser. We'll also need a double stroller at some point, but I'm hoping to wear #2 more than I did DD and picked up a better quality carrier a few months ago, so hopefully we can make it through the first bit with our current stroller/carrier and spread out the big purchases a bit!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I'm due Oct 4th! So I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. My first trimester I lost 15 pounds and now @ 6 months I'm back to 190. I'm hoping to not gain too much more. My doc and I had discussed that 10 would be the max that I'd want to go. However exercising is proving to be very difficult. I have on some days extreme hip pains to where I can't even stand up straight. It sucks. Unfortunately it's me. I had the same pains with my first child. I do try to do yoga on the days where I can deal with the pain and walk as much as I can tolerate. On July 3 I get to see the baby again so I'm pretty excited about that however I have to take the dreaded glucose test! I did fine with it my first pregnancy. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good! Hope everyone's summer is going well too. Add me if you'd like :)

Tammy~
  • syrican
    syrican Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Finally back after a 5 week vacation - where I gained 9lbs! That's what visits home to US does to me. In-n-Out and Chipotle and Trader Joe's, and, and, and...things I won't be seeing till our next annual visit. Seeing as I'm now just 9lbs away from my 25lb goal, out comes the tracker and FitBit until I get my groove back.

Also, I forgot to make an appointment with my OB before I left and now am on a waiting list until the 9th! It's been almost 6 weeks since I had an ultrasound and I miss the little wiggler! Glucose test will be waiting for me, too. I think mine is only two hours between draws.

Pretty sure all the September gals have no passed the "viability" marker with 80-90% survival rate at this point, so congrats to us!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Finally back after a 5 week vacation - where I gained 9lbs! That's what visits home to US does to me. In-n-Out and Chipotle and Trader Joe's, and, and, and...things I won't be seeing till our next annual visit. Seeing as I'm now just 9lbs away from my 25lb goal, out comes the tracker and FitBit until I get my groove back.

Also, I forgot to make an appointment with my OB before I left and now am on a waiting list until the 9th! It's been almost 6 weeks since I had an ultrasound and I miss the little wiggler! Glucose test will be waiting for me, too. I think mine is only two hours between draws.

Pretty sure all the September gals have no passed the "viability" marker with 80-90% survival rate at this point, so congrats to us!

I have the glucose test coming up, too. And i"ve been thinking the same thing about viability! I keep thinking, if he/she was born now, they'd most likely be ok! Its a good feeling! The movements are getting so much stronger and I love it! Its just the coolest feeling to look down and watch a foot slide across your stomach or a butt poke out! lol I'm so glad to almost hit the third trimester. I'm starting to feel really pregnant, as in...my stomach is starting to get in the way of doing things. But at the same time, I love being so obviously pregnant.

We just opened our pool, so I'm excited to be able to swim daily. I've been really unmotivated to exercise much for the past bunch of weeks. I just started making myself again and I feel so much better! I'm working on building my strength back up. I've started doing push ups again and I can't believe how hard they are now! I can only do 10 before I collapse! (I was doing 25 easily when I first got preggo). Hopefully I can start toning up again b/c I've gained flab all over. The back fat bugs me the most! lol

I'm not weighing myself, except for at doctor appts, and have felt so much better about things! Its hard to not jump on, though. I just know it would be depressing, so I am waiting. I keep getting horrible heart burn from everything, too, so I'm finding myself unable to eat a lot and I have to avoid baked goods. Then again, sometimes the heart burn is worth it! ;) lol

We still are so undecided in regards to names. I really want to get my hands on a physical baby name book. I should really just do it this week!

What are you guys up to?
  • talynn3286
    talynn3286 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello- Just got back on the tracker to see if I can use while pregnant. I'm noticing a little belly tracker looking thing under a few people's posts. Is there a way to make the tracker acknowledge the pregnancy? I'm 24 weeks due Oct. 9th. I am working out 6 days a week and I'm eating healthy- but not perfect. I know the gain is inevitable as this is my 2nd pregnancy but I guess going through this one in summer time makes me a little more aware of where the pounds are packing. I am going to start tracking again but would love to know any tricks anyone has to making the tracker work while pregnant! Thanks!
  • meggwyn
    Options
    Hello- Just got back on the tracker to see if I can use while pregnant. I'm noticing a little belly tracker looking thing under a few people's posts. Is there a way to make the tracker acknowledge the pregnancy? I'm 24 weeks due Oct. 9th. I am working out 6 days a week and I'm eating healthy- but not perfect. I know the gain is inevitable as this is my 2nd pregnancy but I guess going through this one in summer time makes me a little more aware of where the pounds are packing. I am going to start tracking again but would love to know any tricks anyone has to making the tracker work while pregnant! Thanks!

I can't exactly remember how I did it, but I played around with it until I got it to start tracking backwards. So as I gain, it shows my overall gain, but says X number to go. I think maybe I set my starting weight to my pre-preg AND my goal weight. As I gain, it shows I have that many pounds to lose to get back to pre-preg, if that makes sense. But I know I had to play around with it until I got it to work the way I wanted. Hope that helps and isn't just more confusing! lol
  • talynn3286
    talynn3286 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you~ I went into custom settings for the calorie intake and set it to a number I got from a pregnancy calorie intake calculator. Still want to know how people got that ticker to be a pregnant belly!
  • meggwyn
    Options
    Ugh, I failed my 1 hr glucose screen. :( I have to do the 3 hour now. I've always passed in the past, so this was a big surprise. However, I had it in the afternoon and had drank sugary coffee beforehand, plus eaten breakfast. AND I was still sick from a horrible cold. So I'm hoping the 3 hour test goes smoothly. It just sounds so long! And I will most likely have to bring my 6 year old and 3 year old. I hope they are able to stay put for three hours without making too much of a scene! lol

Other than that, it feels great to be in the final trimester! I'm 29 weeks now and this little person inside is getting so big and strong! I love being able to feel actual body parts. I carry really high, so no pain in my cervix or anything. Just heart burn when ever I bend over or squat for long periods of time. TMI, but my last pregnancy, I had a lot of pressure and swelling in my lady parts. I had a varicose vein in my vulva and it pinched and hurt so bad from about 20 weeks on. No sign of it this time!!! Yay!!! Its been nice for both my husband and I that certain activities have remained enjoyable this time around! LOL

We are still completely undecided on names. I was really thinking I was having a boy, but now I'm starting to think girl again, so I don't even have a solid feeling one way or the other. Some boy names I like are Simon, Bryndon, Quentin, Luke, Nathaniel, Matthew, Edwyn or Eddard, jeremy, and Colin. Thats all I can think of right now, but there have been others. For girls, Savannah, Alice, Elyse, Eleanore, Ingrid, Gretchen or Gretel, Abagail, Scarlett, Aurora....oy, it just goes on and on. And we don't agree on much. We just don't like popular names and tend to like old fashioned names. Anyway, this is something we need to work on! lol

What have you guys been up to? Can you tell what position your baby is in yet? ANyone studying any birth techniques or anything? I ordered the Bradley method book and it should be here soon!
  • ClassyxInxCamo
    ClassyxInxCamo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm due 9.4.14 with my 3rd baby!
  • jls8209
    Options
    29w5d now and starting to have that "I'm done" feeling! Not really any one particular thing giving me that feeling, just everything all together. Anxious to be able to move around without pain in my pubic bone, huffing and puffing going up the stairs (or even just rolling over in bed!), having more clothing options (down to one pair of yoga/workout pants that fit!), and REALLY anxious to start losing the weight! My gain is still higher than my last pregnancy (I was up 34 lbs on my last weigh-in day, only gained 36 total last time) and I'm not terribly worried about it because I know I'm not overeating or filling up on junk, but I am eager to get back in shape!

I saw my midwife yesterday and I passed last week's GD test, and all of the other stuff (iron, etc) still looks good. STILL no word about the blood work I had done after being exposed to Fifth Disease, so she called around and it turns out my blood got lost somewhere and was never tested. Had my blood taken again today, and we go for an ultrasound on Monday just to check on the little nugget. If I had contracted it, it takes about 6-7 weeks for it to travel to the baby, which is about where we are now (will be 8 weeks to the day on Monday). Fingers crossed my blood doesn't get lost again, and that everything looks good at the u/s. Baby is head down at the moment, and hopefully stays that way!

This baby won't be delivered at the same location as my first, so DH and I drove to the new (to us) hospital and went in for a look last week, and then drove by the birthing centre that is also an option for us. Haven't decided where I want to deliver yet (pros and cons for each), but as long as I'm registered for both I can make up my mind at the last minute. Birth centre is midwife only, no epidurals, only gas/tubs/etc for pain relief. I'm worried about deciding I want an epidural and then having to move to the hospital while I'm in a lot of pain! Also, since there are no doctors in case of a real emergency, I have that "what if?" in the back of my mind. With the hospital there are docs for emergencies, but hospitals tend to gross me out (dirty and germy) and parking, especially at this one, is a challenge. Decisions, decisions!

We have our boy name chosen, but I still have another name I'd prefer to use and have told DH, but we haven't talked about it much. Still really focusing on girl names since they're more of a struggle for us. We've come up with more that we agree with this time (last baby it came down to the wire and we didn't really agree, DH just gave up!) but we're still not 100% sold on any.

@meggwyn - Do you think you could talk your doctor into letting you do the 1 hr test again? I know someone who failed hers because of what she'd eaten earlier in the day (she also had too much sugar) and passed it the second time. Also, moving around can affect the results, so if you bring your kids to the 3 hr test and end up needing to chase them around a bit it could also skew the results. Both last pregnancy and this time I was specifically told to stay put in my chair while waiting for the hour to be up (unless I needed to use the bathroom). I can totally relate to your comment about the pressure/swelling in the lady bits! Didn't have it last time, but this time I have days where it's just like...wow. Even sitting down to pee can be uncomfortable (but chairs are fine?). I'm having more bum issues this time around. I didn't get hemorrhoids until AFTER my last delivery and they came back with a vengeance as soon as I got pregnant this time. Not fun!
  • meggwyn
    Options
    Jls- I asked if I could just retake the 1 hr. It would be so much easier, but the midwife said no. :( I'm sure the 3 hour will be ok. And many people have assured me that most women who fail the 1 hr end up passing the 3 hour. I've been trying super hard to eat low carb/low sugar and its much more difficult than I had thought it would be! I thought I already WAS eating pretty much like that, but apparently not! I just had a granola bar with a cup of RRL tea and felt guilty! LOL (No sweetener or anything in my tea, but the granola bar is 29g of carbs).

Your birthing center option sounds great! There is only one birthing center where I am and it fill ups so fast that you have to try to get a spot as soon as you find out you're pregnant. It was booked by the time I looked into it here. I would much rather do that than the hospital, but maybe hospitals where you are are more hands off? They are very pushy here. I hope you get good news with your blood test. I'm sure its will be ok, but I know you won't feel right about it probably until you get the results. Sorry about the pressure down there! Not much longer and we'll be done! I've gained just about the same as you, too. 34lbs as of last week. I always seem to gain about 45lbs, so I figure that is what i"m on track for. Last time around, I gained 2 lbs a week throughout the entire 2nd trimester! Thankfully its been slow and steady throughout this pregnancy, though I am within 5lbs of the weight I delivered my last at already! (I started this pregnancy 7lbs heavier than the last and gained more during the first trimester). Hopefully I will continue to gain at a steady rate. I hate those growth spurt weeks! lol And I hear ya about looking forward to getting back into shape! I keep making exercise plans and weight loss schedules, etc, for October/November! lol It will be exciting to finally have a starting number and starting measurements and get to work! As hard as it is, I love looking back and tracking my progress with both numbers and pictures.

I keep thinking we're almost done and then I realize we still have a good 10-12 weeks!!! (most of us) Oh well, I'm sure it will be here soon!
  • meggwyn
    Options
    I just wanted to update again b/c I had my first home birth midwife appt today. She tested my blood sugar an hour after I'd eaten and it was perfect! 89 So, she said I do not have GD and no need to worry about it! I'm so happy!!! (still have to do the stupid 3 hour one on Monday through the miiltary clinic, but at least I know I'll pass with no problem!)
  • jls8209
    Options
    That's awesome you passed the sugar test today, but a drag you still have to do the 3 hr! My midwife told me my exact results, but after I heard "You passed..." it kind of went through and didn't stick! :laugh: She also spewed out a few other tests that were done, and I think that's why. I just know they were all favourable!

The birthing centre where I live is new (opened this winter), and you can only use it if you have a midwife, and they're not accepting any VBAC moms just yet, so that means the percentage of women using it is still on the low end and that's probably why I can wait until the end to decide where I want to go. The hospital on the other hand... Busy! When my first was born we lucked into a private room because it had just been vacated earlier that evening and it was a quiet night in the birthing unit (only 3 of us having babies, I delivered first). If I had delivered second we would have been placed in a semi-private with another family. When we dropped off my admission paperwork at the other hospital last week the guy helping me with the forms said there were 42 babies in the hospital that day, and joked they would soon have to start stacking them one on top of the other. Also, the post-partum area is under renovation and while there are still some private rooms, some of the semi-privates have had to double up so there are 3-4 moms/babies per room instead of 2. The thought of having to share a room with another mom/baby is unappealing, but having that many "roommates" would be especially unappealing! With a midwife, if everything goes normally with me/baby during and after delivery we can be discharged from the hospital or birthing centre after 3 hours and not stay the required 24 hrs. On one hand that sounds scary, on the other hand it is our second baby and we won't have the same new parent jitters like last time! With my first we ended up staying 3 nights because of delivery time (near midnight, so would have had to stay 2 either way) and we opted to stay an extra because we were having latch issues and she dropped an unusual amount of weight (but regained within 2 weeks).

ETA: Home birth is also an option since I'm using a midwife, but it's not for me. I don't want the mess, I feel like I live too far from the hospital if anything goes wrong (only 30 minutes, but to me it's still too far!), and my parents/toddler will be in teh house and I like my privacy... :laugh:
  • meggwyn
    Options
    That is so crazy that you guys don't have your own rooms at the hospital! In most hospitals here, you labor, deliver, and recover all in the same room. Actually, at the military hospital, I guess I delivered in one room and then was transferred to another room for our 48 hour stay. In the civilian hospital I was in with my first, they did it all in the same room. But I just can't imagine sharing a room with another family!!!

Its so nice that you have options though!
  • jls8209
    Options
    Here (Canada) you labour/deliver in your own room (thank goodness!!!) in the birthing unit, and then you're moved about an hour or two later to the maternity ward for the remainder of your stay. It's the maternity ward rooms that are private, semi (2 people), or ward (3-4 people). I'm not 100% certain how the coverage works, I think the provincial health plan (the free one everybody gets) covers the cost for a ward room, my husband's work insurance will top up the coverage to a semi, but last time and this time we were willing to pay the extra (about $50-$60) to be bumped up to a private.

I'm not sure how it works for military in Canada. My brother was military for a while and I know they had small hospitals on base for some general stuff, but in depth testing/big procedures I think get transferred to provincial hospitals. When he was in he had some general/first line tests run at the military base, then when he was diagnosed with something his care was still overseen by his military doc but the next level of testing, surgery, and follow up testing was/is done through the provincial hospital. Now he's out and is a city police officer, and I *think* it's similar with them, too. I would imagine for pregnant soldiers/wives they have their military doc, but then have a civilian OB/midwife as well.

I'm glad I have options, but some times options make for challenging decisions!
  • sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new here and due with my first in Sept!

I was a healthy weight prior to pregnancy but at 28 weeks I had gained 22lbs and my OB told me I was putting on weight too quickly. My OB sent me to a dietician and she put me on a 1200 calorie, high carb, low fat diet. I felt like I was starving for the first couple days and decided I had to bump up my calories to 1600-1800 and now feel much better. I'm at 30 weeks now and I've lost 3lbs since I started tracking. I'm off for a follow up appointment with my OB on Friday, hopefully she thinks everything is okay now.

My goal is to keep tracking til the end and avoid junk food and sweets!
  • meggwyn
    Options

I was a healthy weight prior to pregnancy but at 28 weeks I had gained 22lbs and my OB told me I was putting on weight too quickly. My OB sent me to a dietician and she put me on a 1200 calorie, high carb, low fat diet. I felt like I was starving for the first couple days and decided I had to bump up my calories to 1600-1800 and now feel much better. I'm at 30 weeks now and I've lost 3lbs since I started tracking. I'm off for a follow up appointment with my OB on Friday, hopefully she thinks everything is okay now.

Wow! Thats crazy that they told you to diet!!! I'd gained 30lbs by 23 weeks and no one batted an eye! I stopped tracking at that point actually b/c I was getting too discouraged (trying to fit within the "recommended guidelines" and by 28 weeks, had only gained 4 more pounds. Still, I was up 34 pounds at 28 weeks (I'm almost 30 weeks now, but haven't weighed recently) and no one has been concerned about my weight gain at all! This is my third pregnancy and I've gained (and within the year lost) 45lbs with both of my previous pregnancies. I eat mostly whole foods, too. I don't drink soda, juice, or eat chips, fast food, or lots of sweets. So, even though I gain quite a bit, its from healthy sources, so I'm not worried about it. I had hoped to gain less this time around, but apparently my body has different ideas.

I think its great to focus on what you're eating as opposed to restricting calories. Lots of healthy fats and proteins and veggies! I eat an avocado every day and thats 300 calories right there! I can't imagine getting the right foods in me on 1200 or even 1600 calories!!! I would really reconsider listening to the dietician. Your baby needs healthy fats! I hope you're able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and not stress too much about what the scale says! When are you due? I'm due the 25th.
  • jls8209
    Options

That's insane! I saw an OB with my first and up until the third trimester my weight gain was always about 5lbs behind my week (so 20lbs gained at 25 weeks), and then I had a big jump and things evened out (30lbs at 30 weeks) and eventually slowed down for a 36lb gain. My OB never said a word! Now I'm seeing a midwife for #2, and aside from being asked my weight at my initial appointment, the only time we've discussed my weight gain is when I brought it up. I've gained 34lbs at 30 weeks (I'm not logging, just focusing on healthy eating and exercising as much as my body (and toddler) will allow), and my midwife isn't the slightest bit concerned. As long as my blood work, ultrasounds and blood pressure are normal that's all that matters. I started both pregnancies at a healthy weight, but different body composition/clothing size. A "skinny fat" 139lbs for my first, a fitter/leaner 138.5lbs this time around.

I'm glad you upped your calories, 1200 is low for a woman who is not pregnant and unsafe for a woman who is! That dietician needs to have her head checked!