new and need some help

Options
fit_war
fit_war Posts: 985 Member
hello there! starting tomorrow so i really need helppppppppppppp! i know for induction is 20 gr of carbs... and what about protein and fats? anyone ?

Replies

• Metcalf1690
    Metcalf1690 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have just started on the atkins 20 carbs a day ...I am looking for the same answer as you. How much protein should we be eating...i'm confused just a little bit. Thanks!
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    Most of your energy will be coming from fats during induction (in OWL as well for that matter). Eat all kinds of meat; full fatty cuts are totally on the menu. Eat butter, cheese, full fat milk, cream. Be sure to eat some veggies; but you need to be careful here to stay beneath the carb limit. But things like broccoli, asparagus, dark green salad greens, spinach, avocados. There are many to choose from; but you need to make sure you weigh and portion control these. If you use dressings you need to be VERY careful to avoid those that add lots of carbs. All the "lite" dressings are bad news. Be sure to read the labels. Better yet; avoid it entirely during induction and saute your veggies in olive oil or butter.

Absolutely no grains, bread, rice, potatoes etc. Avoid alcohol during induction. Be sure to log everything so you don't let carbs sneak in. Be sure to drink lots and lots of water. Your body will be kinda cleaning itself and dumping alot of toxins in the process; and the water will help flush it all away.
  • Metcalf1690
    Options
    thanks Jim I appreciate your help with that.. Now here comes a really stupid question I'm sure~~ On a calorie in / out diet I am supposed to stick to 1200 calories a day. (are you ready now for the ?) lol On the atkins diet are we still suppose to follow that same rule?
  • Bigbobhatley
    Bigbobhatley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about counting calories in induction. I think the book says for women to be around 1500 - 1800 a day after induction as a guide so your not eating too many.
  • fit_war
    Options
    Thanks!!! though u should drink milk on induction!
  • morgant88
    morgant88 Posts: 1
    Options
    No milk the first couple of weeks, but you can have whipping cream! Which is great in coffee with some Stevia! I suggest reading the book, the science is phenomenal and helps you understand what your body is going through. It's also nice to pull out all the facts when others are skeptical of your diet. Check out this link, it has all the basic info for starting out! It walks you through the basics of all the phases and has lists on what are acceptable foods during each phase. It really helped me make my grocery list! http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview.aspx
  • fit_war
    Options
    Thanks!!! im going to read it!
  • Metcalf1690
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I downloaded and printed off the foods I am allowed to eat while on induction...Posted right on my fridge!! lol Today is day two for me and the only thing I am missing right now is ICE CREAM!! but i'm sure it will pass.....
    Again thanks for the help here.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    only thing I am missing right now is ICE CREAM!!

I'm planning to experiment with some low-carb ice cream recipes this weekend..... It will require artificial sweetener of course; but no need to compromise on the heavy cream. I've seen some low-carb commercial products for ice cream; but I don't trust them. So I'll be making my own.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    only thing I am missing right now is ICE CREAM!!

I'm planning to experiment with some low-carb ice cream recipes this weekend..... It will require artificial sweetener of course; but no need to compromise on the heavy cream. I've seen some low-carb commercial products for ice cream; but I don't trust them. So I'll be making my own.

Breyer's Carb Smart Ice Cream is fairly good, just have to be careful with the artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols. It's one of the only commercial sweet treats that doesn't cause me to stall.
  • Metcalf1690
    Options
    oh thank you so much for the info about ice cream!! you both made my day....lol As soon as i move to the next stage I think i'll try to get some!! :)
  • recker80
    recker80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To drink non sweetens almond milk is ok during induction. The first few days I felt weak and the almond milk was a savior. I also added a teaspoon of coco powder and stevia to make a sweet chocolate drink.
  • Metcalf1690
    Options
    Wow I have had almond milk before its really pretty good. Thanks so much for the info...after my two week induction is over I"ll for sure try this. :)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I would try for about 65% fat/30% protein/5% carbs but that can change a little bit depending on what your body can handle as far as amount of protein goes.

I would stay away from artificial sweetners and sugar alcohols as that can affect your loss but everyone is different. I've done old school low carb which is total carbs, and also the newer version were you count net carbs (carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols) and have lost just fine on both.

Don't worry about calories for now, focus on your carbs and learning what foods to eat. Once you get used to it you will be in your calorie limit because you feel so full eating higher amounts of fat and protein than otherwise. That is where the weight loss comes in. I feel the first couple days of low carb is the hardest but it does get easier. As you learn what foods you can eat, new recipes, etc it becomes a way of life.
  • fit_war
    Options
    Thanks girls!!! Ill see how it goes this first week cause i been using artificial sweeteners for coffee..
  • horsebeauti
    horsebeauti Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I forgot how difficult this first week was. Evening number 4 and I am CRAVING something sweet.
  • Metcalf1690
    Options
    The cravings will pass. I'm ending day 8 now and I'm doing so much better with that. The first 5 days all I wanted was ice cream or even a piece of cake.......lol BUT I'm here to tell you it has passed!! woohooooo
    Good luck horsebeauti !! :)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm starting induction tomorrow so am in the process of reading the New Atkins for a New You book. It says that your protein intake should be .7 - 9 x your body weight. Your protein needs will depend on how much exercise. I weight train 3 days a week so I try and keep my protein at around 120 - 140 grams per day. Setting my carbs at 5% and protein at 30% put me in line with where I want to be.

Too much protein can slow your progress though so you may need to play around with your macros for awhile until you get it figured out.
  • coolsammy117
    Options
    Hinestly it's different for everyone. The best thing is to listen to your body and see how it responds. I do/did best with 20-30g carbs and high fat. But the majority of the time a just ate light and didnt always count. I know thats bad :/Also you can download a calculator that will give you recommendations in percentages. Good luck! You've got this!
  • coolsammy117
    Options
    Thanks girls!!! Ill see how it goes this first week cause i been using artificial sweeteners for coffee..

Splenda is THE BEST! Literally a life saver :)